Fox News Sues Echostar

Except FOX did not say that, rather "the most widely distributed package." Again why after 01/07? If your logic works, the violation should have started from 1998 when they signed the agreement. But FOX did not say that. They apparently knows a logic or two better than some folks here.

We all know in our heart of hearts that Fox News is more popular than CNN (whether you like it or not) and that Fox News should be in the top 100 package. We can bash each other all day long, but we know where Fox News Channel belongs, and that is right in the top 100 package.

fine, replace my "widely available" with "widely distributed" and reread my post. Same result... The most "widely distributed" package would obviously be the 100 package.

Dish knows it is in the wrong. Fox News is more popular than any of the other 100 package news channels.

WEidely distributed isd just ass likely to mean to mean the single package that has th most customers---I don't know which one tha tis but it may or may not be AT 100. I jsut think ity is interesting that you changed the term.

We all know in our heart of hearts that Fox News is more popular than CNN (whether you like it or not) and that Fox News should be in the top 100 package. We can bash each other all day long, but we know where Fox News Channel belongs, and that is right in the top 100 package.

We have been through this before. Fox News leads in almost all time slots but it is the same viewers who watch a lot. CNN has more Cumulative viewers. That is to say that in a week more people watch some CNN than some Fox. Here is a citation http://www.stateofthenewsmedia.org/2007/narrative_cabletv_audience.asp?cat=3&media=6

DISH has chosen to include CNN in the bottom package at the expense of MSNBC and Fox. That is their right.It is also fair for Fox to try to persuade them to change this policy. Their is no "right" to be included in any tier and all channels belong in whatever tier is negotiated for them.

Last edited:
I don't watch any of the satellite news channels anymore, unless there is some sort of emergency or crisis. These days they all seem to do nothing more than cover missing blonde girls and babies.

I highly doubt this will result in FNC being yanked off DISH. Can you imagine the on-air retaliation from Fox News personalities??? I can see it now...DISH adds a crawl stating that FNC will be removed if an agreement is not reached by a certain date and displays Rupert's email -- I can see Bill O'Reilly pointing at the crawl during the "Factor" and ranting. Fox News will give Echostar too much on-air bad publicity, so I doubt Fox News will be dropped. I agree with some others here that if Charlie adds Fox HD, Fox Business or both then the lawsuit will be dropped -- and wouldn't that be the cheapest and easiest thing for Charlie to do?

Eric

I don't watch any of the satellite news channels anymore, unless there is some sort of emergency or crisis. These days they all seem to do nothing more than cover missing blonde girls and babies.

Don't forget all those wonderful car chases, seems like there are at least a couple a week and Fox is the one who picks them up live (or delayed a few seconds)

The on-air personalities had a "in the event we don't work this out" kind of thing on their website when Sirius and Fox News Radio had their dispute. The end result was basically carriage of Fox News Talk (which was just coming available at the time) along with the regular Fox News TV audio feed.

I do think people are pretty much right when they say it ends up having to do with carriage of another channel, such as FBN. I would like to have FBN but at the same time I'd really hate to lose a precious HD slot to do it.

I could live with waiting for more capacity for FBN if it meant getting oh, FX HD before The Riches and Rescue Me seasons... :)

Don't forget all those wonderful car chases, seems like there are at least a couple a week and Fox is the one who picks them up live (or delayed a few seconds)

I love those car chases. I usually have FoxNews on during the day here in the lab since Daytime TV is garbage soap operas mostly. There has been some great ones in FL and especially in CA.

I don't watch either Fox News, CNN or MSNBC but it does not seem fair that Dish only offers CNN and Headline on its "most popular package." Why preferential treatment for CNN?

I know its going to be hard.. But can we try and keep the thread on the topic of the lawsuit. Everyone has their own opinion about CNN/FNC/MSNBC etc and its just going to clutter the thread up with bashing.

Although if you really want to voice your opinion about your favorite cable news channel, feel free to start a thread in the pit :)

Please reread HokieEngineer's advice before you post about hating CNN, Fox News, or whatever. The folks in The Pit are waiting for you with open arms.

I don't watch either Fox News, CNN or MSNBC but it does not seem fair that Dish only offers CNN and Headline on its "most popular package." Why preferential treatment for CNN?

CNN used to be the only cable news network (for MANY years) and that has been grandfathered. They might be cheaper too ultimately, but I don't know that for sure.

I do agree that perhaps this should be re-evaluated and perhaps Charlie could work it out so FoxNews was on every tier. Replacing CNN with Foxnews might tick people off as much or more than not having FoxNews on the lower tiers.

It's a difficult balance in which at least one customer will always be unhappy.

Fox Business has great programming. True, they have had infomercials during the off hours but that is becoming less and less every week. Any new non-premium channel starts out with plenty of infomercials.

I'm sure it does. I was making a snide comment on Charlie's stock excuse as to why he wasn't adding new HD channels.

Why do they assume the cheapest package is the most popular? I would say that from my installs the top 200 is the most popular.

Shawn

However, not everyone subs to AT200. Therefore there are lots of people who are not receiving Fox News that should be. Everyone that receives AT200 also receives AT100 by default, but it's not the same in reverse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)