fox sports dispute

Only if you are dumb enough to plug your receiver into a phoneline...hopper you have no choice it needs internet
It’s been 4 months... I don’t think he is underestimating. Especially since he has data none of us are privy to. He knows exactly how many customers tuned into the RSNs and for exactly how long over the last several years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay
Only if you are dumb enough to plug your receiver into a phoneline...hopper you have no choice it needs internet
My first Hopper was a Hopper 1, and I never connected it to the internet. As long as you do not like Apps or Video On Demand, it can be done. For me, the PTAT feature with AutoHop provided enough commercial-free "VOD" to satisfy my viewing needs. For my newer receivers (Hopper Duo and Wally) that do not have PTAT, then I agree that having the internet connected is very beneficial.

HipKat what is the technicians goal for connectivity?

Maldonado, Juan, you forgot it stores data to a certain point when you return the receiver, it is read then. You’re not going to win this argument.

Smartcard only has so much memory..plus I have had to change mine atleast 2 or 3 x
HipKat what is the technicians goal for connectivity?

Maldonado, Juan, you forgot it stores data to a certain point when you return the receiver, it is read then. You’re not going to win this argument.

I like to dream. :sleepy Like I said, wait about a month or so, and we will see who is right. :cool: Unfortunately, I can just as easily see Dish splitting the difference, with no increase on the packages (previously) with RSN's, but still a small increase on all other packages. :sorrow
I guess I'll find out come January when I renegotiate a new contract. I can deal with price increases as long as they're reasonable. That's the price of doing business.

Yep, even with owned and unconnected receivers, there is still a statistically significant sample size of data to get an accurate reading of viewer numbers. That's exactly how statistics and probability work. Some just don't understand it.

Reactions: anex80
Yep, even with owned and unconnected receivers, there is still a statistically significant sample size of data to get an accurate reading of viewer numbers. That's exactly how statistics and probability work. Some just don't understand it.
I thought the debate was over whether Dish knows exactly what each individual subscriber has been watching for exactly how long, not what is statistically probable. The latter is more Nielsen's department, anyway.

Nielsen uses Dish’s(and the other providers) digital data now. There are still Nielsen homes, but they get a good amount of their data from that.

So how do they collect that data?

Juan is hopeless, which is why this conversation is not going anywhere. If I thought there was a chance he may open his eyes, I would answer that last question. Considering it is answered easily above, we will let it be.

Juan is hopeless, which is why this conversation is not going anywhere. If I thought there was a chance he may open his eyes, I would answer that last question. Considering it is answered easily above, we will let it be.
Speak for yourself. I'll take a shot at it.

So how do they collect that data?
He means that, even subtracting the owned and unconnected receivers from the total, Dish can still extrapolate the data collected through the internet (or phone line) connection, or the Smart Card data, from the connected and/or leased receivers, to "guess" what programming was most likely watched on the remaining receivers. For example, if a certain percentage of receivers from which Dish has data watched The Bachelor, then Dish assumes that the same percentage of non-connected receivers also watched that show. This is how Dish arrives at the total viewership numbers that they use in negotiations, usually to make a statement that "your channel is not worth as much to our subscribers as you think it is."

It's more than just a "guess" or assumption. The larger the data sample, the more accurate the projection. A 2% statistical margin of error, for example, is highly accurate. If even just 10% of the receivers can be used to collect the data, out of say 10 million receivers, then the margin of error would be less than 0.5 percent.

After realizing I am missing local collage basketball after missing the last half of the pro baseball season, phoned Dish and they said they were close to settling. Should I hold my breath?

Reactions: charlesrshell
You should not hold your breath. They honestly do not know any details. The people here know more, just from the uplink reports. They bonus on save rates(how many people they talk to vs how many cancel through them). I have been telling Dish for years to implement a 72 hour rule. If someone calls back within 72 hours to cancel, that first person they talked to gets the hit, as it was probably misinformation that led them to call back after thinking about it.

You should not hold your breath. They honestly do not know any details. The people here know more, just from the uplink reports. They bonus on save rates(how many people they talk to vs how many cancel through them). I have been telling Dish for years to implement a 72 hour rule. If someone calls back within 72 hours to cancel, that first person they talked to gets the hit, as it was probably misinformation that led them to call back after thinking about it.
In that case, the first person would just tell the subscriber to wait a week (putting them well past your proposed three-day window) and then call back if the issue is not resolved by then. I have been given the run-around by CSR's the exact same way with the old system, so your new system would not change anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)