Fox Sues Dish Over Ad-Skipping Auto Hop

What's the difference? Dish customer presses "skip forward" button or presses "select" button to enable auto hop on each show? Either way it's the customer making the move.

Fox should be sued for providing inferior programming, like American Idol, Glee, Kitchen Nightmares and most of the episodes of New Girl.

I feel DISH did it's homework on this issue as far as legality goes. Auto-hop requires the user to make a conscious decision to skip the ads at the start of each show, plus it's not eliminating the ads. How the courts interpret all this obviously remains to be seen. Either way you look at it agree with two things:

1. The coverage is a win for DISH, and
2. The next round of retrains could be really ugly.

OTA USB adapter can't come soon enough.

I don't understand why the major TV networks are so upset. Auto Hop doesn't even get enabled till after 1 am, all
advertisers
care about is the live viewers and the same day dvr viewing. So why this matter so much? All other tv providers have Ondemand with no to very little commercials available the next day, what is the difference.

1. The coverage is a win for DISH, and
2. The next round of retrains could be really ugly.

Well hopefully by the time my local NBC and ABC's contracts are up (CBS and Fox's contracts were re-upped within the past year) I would have jumped over to the local cable provider (only because it's cheaper). But what the nets don't realize is that most people don't actively watch the ads when they are watching tv live, let alone when a show is recorded (I haven't actively watched an ad on a recorded program since I got my DVR 3 years ago, and the only time a commercial is being show during a DVR'd program is when I'm not really paying attention.)

Well hopefully by the time my local NBC and ABC's contracts are up (CBS and Fox's contracts were re-upped within the past year) I would have jumped over to the local cable provider (only because it's cheaper). But what the nets don't realize is that most people don't actively watch the ads when they are watching tv live, let alone when a show is recorded (I haven't actively watched an ad on a recorded program since I got my DVR 3 years ago, and the only time a commercial is being show during a DVR'd program is when I'm not really paying attention.)

the nets already know that. What they are concerned about is what their sponsors perceive....

bigwillieb said:
I don't understand why the major TV networks are so upset. Auto Hop doesn't even get enabled till after 1 am, all advertisers care about is the live viewers and the same day dvr viewing. So why this matter so much? All other tv providers have Ondemand with no to very little commercials available the next day, what is the difference.

Because in their own way they think they are entitled to make money, above everything else including what viewers think. They want to dictate how and when to watch TV. Auto hop puts the power back into the viewers hand. They feel that their right has been violated.

I like this line from FOX.

"Their wrongheaded decision requires us to take swift action in order to aggressively defend the future of free, over-the-air television."

Last I saw they CHARGE the Satellite And Cable Companies for their FREE OVER THE AIR TELEVISION signals.

I think that the only thing DISH is getting here is free advertising from FOX and NBC. (I am sure DISH say THANKS!) :D

I like this line from FOX.

Last I saw they CHARGE the Satellite And Cable Companies for their FREE OVER THE AIR TELEVISION signals.

I think that the only thing DISH is getting here is free advertising from FOX and NBC. (I am sure DISH say THANKS!) :D

Yup it would be totally different if the ota's were free on sat and even cable.

That's your opinion. Dish obviously has the same opinion. The networks have a different opinion. It is not for Dish, you, I, anyone here, the networks, etc to make the final decision.... The courts will.

Too bad the court of pubic opinion can't decide the outcome.

Hall said:
That's your opinion. Dish obviously has the same opinion. The networks have a different opinion. It is not for Dish, you, I, anyone here, the networks, etc to make the final decision.... The courts will.

No one is saying otherwise. Every entity has their saying but as you say ultimately the court will decide and that.... is their opinion...

Teehar said:
Too bad the court of pubic opinion can't decide the outcome.

And that is the problem viewers do not have a saying in this although the whole premise will not validate the conclusion without viewers.

That's nice Jr, thank you for the lesson how the courts work. :)

But just look at it this way, since the Hopper records the entire broadcast (including commercials) its not violating any copyright laws. (Don't need to be a guy in a robe sitting at a bench to understand that)

Plus AutoHop is NOT automatic, a user has to enable it for each show they watch. Which in turn makes it no different then the user hitting the skip button.

It is the USER making all of this happen not DISH. Again no copyright violation at all.

In addition you cant use AutoHop of shows that were recorded that day, skipping the comemrcials is no difference then watching the shows on Hulu, the Networks own website or cables video on demand service.

DISH did their homework here. But I can't say I am surprised at the lawsuits.

I do however think that the Networks are giving DISH a ton of free advertising on this. I bet more people will want a Hopper now then ever before... and its because these Networks are the ones advertising these features.

With an honest judiciary, they would be laughed out of court. There's no difference between Dish skipping the commercials for the user, and the user skipping them themselves. Or for that matter, watching them but never using them to make a buying decision.

honest judiciary... there is a concept. :)

But agreed. Yet, I am not convinced it will be that simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)