FOX Tries to Out FOX DISH's Hopper

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
What the fox say?

If only they could add this technology to their coverage of sporting events.

I know F1 has done it for a long time, would be nice to see it in other sports as well.

They did it for the Daytona 500. NASCAR and ESPN have been doing it for a couple years now...usually after the 1st half of the race they will start doing the split screen commercials

HTC One

Side-by-side during NASCAR is one of the smartest things Fox has done in their race coverage! What advertisers would pay for this? Ones that want people to at least HEAR their commercials if not watch them since people will still be looking at the screen!

Side-by-side during NASCAR is one of the smartest things Fox has done in their race coverage! What advertisers would pay for this? Ones that want people to at least HEAR their commercials if not watch them since people will still be looking at the screen!

Agree, and if all sports did it we could do away with all the damn TV timeouts and shorten up the games.

My daughter watches American Idol and the problem FOX didn't factor in is how the Hopper operates with Autohop. Unless my daughter knew about the backstage stuff, when she starts the recording and it asks "do you want to Autohop?", she chooses "Yes".

Last night, my wife was watching an Idol episode from a couple weeks ago. With Autohop activated, an entire commercial break was not autohopped when they were showing a split screen of the commercials and a 'live' feed of what was happening on the set.

More product placement and perhaps a return of ads worked into the script. I fully expect Fox (and other broadcasters and cablecasters) to include language prohibiting MVPDs from implementing ad-skipping technology or creating a separate tier ($$$) for those implement this technology. We shall see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night, my wife was watching an Idol episode from a couple weeks ago. With Autohop activated, an entire commercial break was not autohopped when they were showing a split screen of the commercials and a 'live' feed of what was happening on the set.

Because it isn't a true commercial break. It is a different approach to product placement. The show is still on, in this case with backstage stuff, with product placement in a split screen. This isn't new, not just credits now are at the end of a show where they split the screen just before going to the next program.

wonder if advertisers were informed of this BEFORE they paid full price. If so how much was ad price decreased.

Because it isn't a true commercial break. It is a different approach to product placement. The show is still on, in this case with backstage stuff, with product placement in a split screen. This isn't new, not just credits now are at the end of a show where they split the screen just before going to the next program.

Not as we traditionally know them, but it was a full 2-3 minute commercial break. More than just product placement...

6a00e5521e5aea8833017eea37c8ed970d-500wi

Why no OTA when there is a signal loss?

Americas's Everything package...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)