France 24 English Picture

nrholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Tampa Bay Area
Anyone notice when watching the English feed of France 24 that the graphics and logo on the side of the picture is chopped off. You can't entirely read all the captions on the channel when you have it on, especially on an HD tv (I know it is an SD feed). Even the France 24 logo in the lower righ hand corner is chopped in half. Does anyone at Dish know about this?

I hate when that happens. It happened one time on an ESPN SD Alternate game.

It may be the broadcaster/channel, or it may be Dish.

It would probably best to try to contact Dish or/ and the broadcaster to solve the issue.

Some of the international, especially from the more advanced nations like Japan or in Europe, actually do now send an HD feed, sometimes ONLY in HD because of the cost of also sending an SD feed. NHK World is in HD (it even has a bug in the top left reading "NHK World HD") and our local public TV station (no longer part of PBS) airs it in HD on the main channel, while they have to "crop" the HD aspect ratio on the SD multiplex channel, just like what you are seeing. This happens on a number of internationals that our local public TV station airs, even from Megahertz World, thee was one show that had subtitles that BARELY fit and sometimes the letters ran beyond the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Dish provides Japan TV, which is part of NHK, but I can't remember if TV Japan is being sent providers in HD.

Ironically, BBC World is NOT in HD, but it is sent in the UK standard def widescreen format. However, BBC America HD, for some bizarre reason--although Warner Home Video has done similar to UK shows released in the US on DVD--actually ZOOMS in on the widescreen provided resulting in an exaggerated or larger 4:3 appearance with black bars on the side.

So, in other words, what you've described is the France 24 is, indeed, being sent in HD, but Dish is sending it to us in SD. I know there are probably bandwidth issues at 118.7, but I do think it is time to provide at least the few HD feeds from certain internationals. The vast majority will continue to send SD. Many international households do have HD service for English language packages anyway, particularly those of Japan and Europe, so there are those who would immediately benefit from a few HD international channels .

Last edited:
Dish provides Japan TV, which is part of NHK, but I can't remember if TV Japan is being sent providers in HD.
TV Japan does offer it to providers in HD. But, afaik, only TWC in NY/NJ is carrying it in HD. For $25/mo, it should be in HD on Dish. ALL of NHK's programming is in HD, and has been for many years. Their stuff can be breathtaking.

BTW, it's actually called TV Japan, not Japan TV. :)

Is France 24 English now available to regular subscribers? Last time I checked, it was only in the International Basic Package, which you cannot add to your account unless you do not have an American package.

Disregard, I found the package & added it. Thanks Dish & Mary B.

Last edited:
TV Japan does offer it to providers in HD. But, afaik, only TWC in NY/NJ is carrying it in HD. For $25/mo, it should be in HD on Dish. ALL of NHK's programming is in HD, and has been for many years. Their stuff can be breathtaking.

BTW, it's actually called TV Japan, not Japan TV. :)

Thank you for the clarification and correction. I try to get it right, but I don't always hit the mark. Yes, I have seen NHK in HD, and it is WORTH it, especially some of the shots of the Japanese countryside and mountains, although anything in HD is great. I would hope Dish really thinks seriously about providing at least just a few of the best HD internationals as a start. But I think they are planning internationals to be delivered via IP and NOT satellite after some years, so it may depend upon a households ISP bandwidth whether or not they get it in HD. Thanks again. :).

On Roku, UStream has it or at least the last time I looked it was 720P but I'm reading it may no longer be, JustinTV also but for some reason not all the time.

I also found a code that works, "NHK" as a standalone for Roku but have not watched it from that yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts