Free Local TV Streaming

Reactions: ncted
The author proposes all the questions I would have about the service. They may consider themselves a "translator," but does the FCC consider them as such? I wonder what Trip thinks about it?

I'm surprised there haven't been more nonprofit ventures like this on the Internet.

Since the service is somewhat sports oriented (at least in name), I expect the pro sports leagues as well as the pay providers to weigh in and I'd bet that they will be $trongly oppo$ed.

If it were truly local programming and not in direct competition with the incumbents (including the leagues themselves), it might be a different story.

It may be “non-profit” but the folks running it aren’t. So they take their “profits” as salaries rather than distributions.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

That is not profit. That is compensation. If they were also shareholders and received dividends, then they would be getting profits.

Hiding behind the "secondary retransmission" isn't going to save their bacon as they're not broadcasting in the sense covered by the ruling. They would also have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that their "geofencing" was 100% effective and that's not possible with several VPN services offering NYC and Dallas addresses.

The dissenting SCOTUS judges were careful that the Aereo decision only applied to Aereo but a lot of the underpinnings would apply to anyone seeking to transcode to the Internet domain.

Hiding behind the "secondary retransmission" isn't going to save their bacon as they're not broadcasting in the sense covered by the ruling. They would also have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that their "geofencing" was 100% effective and that's not possible with several VPN services offering NYC and Dallas addresses.

The dissenting SCOTUS judges were careful that the Aereo decision only applied to Aereo but a lot of the underpinnings would apply to anyone seeking to transcode to the Internet domain.

Sadly, geofencing is 80-90% effective at best. That said, I can get stations from the next DMA over with a big enough antenna.

Sadly, geofencing is 80-90% effective at best. That said, I can get stations from the next DMA over with a big enough antenna.
And there's nothing unlawful about that. This isn't Canada where the gubmint dictates what you can and cannot watch.

The great equalizer for geofencing is VPN services that allow you to "buy in" to other markets and while not illegal, it presents a relatively easy avenue into any market you want and it is very difficult for providers to prevent.

I expect that this is why some services are only available on devices that have some manner of GPS capability as that's much harder to work around.

I expect that this is why some services are only available on devices that have some manner of GPS capability as that's much harder to work around.

It’s not necessarily that difficult to work around. Any jailbroken iOS device or rooted Android device has the capability to spoof a GPS location. I keep a rooted Android phone around for just that reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts