Kansas City / Las Vegas
Reactions: ncted
ncted

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
The author proposes all the questions I would have about the service. They may consider themselves a "translator," but does the FCC consider them as such? I wonder what Trip thinks about it?

I'm surprised there haven't been more nonprofit ventures like this on the Internet.

harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Since the service is somewhat sports oriented (at least in name), I expect the pro sports leagues as well as the pay providers to weigh in and I'd bet that they will be $trongly oppo$ed.

If it were truly local programming and not in direct competition with the incumbents (including the leagues themselves), it might be a different story.

navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
It may be “non-profit” but the folks running it aren’t. So they take their “profits” as salaries rather than distributions.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
ncted

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
It may be “non-profit” but the folks running it aren’t. So they take their “profits” as salaries rather than distributions.

That is not profit. That is compensation. If they were also shareholders and received dividends, then they would be getting profits.

navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
The quotes indicate I was speaking loosely.

I am, after all, an accountant. Or as I prefer to say, bean counter.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Hiding behind the "secondary retransmission" isn't going to save their bacon as they're not broadcasting in the sense covered by the ruling. They would also have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that their "geofencing" was 100% effective and that's not possible with several VPN services offering NYC and Dallas addresses.

The dissenting SCOTUS judges were careful that the Aereo decision only applied to Aereo but a lot of the underpinnings would apply to anyone seeking to transcode to the Internet domain.

ncted

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
Hiding behind the "secondary retransmission" isn't going to save their bacon as they're not broadcasting in the sense covered by the ruling. They would also have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that their "geofencing" was 100% effective and that's not possible with several VPN services offering NYC and Dallas addresses.

The dissenting SCOTUS judges were careful that the Aereo decision only applied to Aereo but a lot of the underpinnings would apply to anyone seeking to transcode to the Internet domain.

Sadly, geofencing is 80-90% effective at best. That said, I can get stations from the next DMA over with a big enough antenna.

harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Sadly, geofencing is 80-90% effective at best. That said, I can get stations from the next DMA over with a big enough antenna.
And there's nothing unlawful about that. This isn't Canada where the gubmint dictates what you can and cannot watch.

The great equalizer for geofencing is VPN services that allow you to "buy in" to other markets and while not illegal, it presents a relatively easy avenue into any market you want and it is very difficult for providers to prevent.

I expect that this is why some services are only available on devices that have some manner of GPS capability as that's much harder to work around.

comfortably_numb

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I expect that this is why some services are only available on devices that have some manner of GPS capability as that's much harder to work around.

It’s not necessarily that difficult to work around. Any jailbroken iOS device or rooted Android device has the capability to spoof a GPS location. I keep a rooted Android phone around for just that reason.

mr3p

mr3p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
West
Is there an Android TV or Roku app yet?

Last edited:
J

Jhon69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 19, 2006
Central San Joaquin Valley,CA.
Is there an Android TV or Roku app yet?

Roku has The Roku Channel which is setup similar to the way Netflix is and it is Free,all you need is a Roku.
When I first got my Roku Stick + I could not believe all the free stuff on the internet,and there are apps you have to pay for also.