Free On demand movies

r2d2melo

Original poster
Jun 19, 2008
Hi guys,I just bought a Samsung HDTV and I hooked up to the cable outlet and I am getting comcast on demand movies for FREE!!yea Im freaking out cuz I dont wana b doing something illegal for example yesterday I was watching a movie when all the sudden it paused,then rewinded a bit then played again,so I think I am getting someone's signal,could you guys please explain what is possibly going on?thx in advance

This is a forum for OTA. I would suggest posting in the Comcast forum. mention if this is happening on a particular channel

Hi guys,I just bought a Samsung HDTV and I hooked up to the cable outlet and I am getting comcast on demand movies for FREE!!yea Im freaking out cuz I dont wana b doing something illegal for example yesterday I was watching a movie when all the sudden it paused,then rewinded a bit then played again,so I think I am getting someone's signal,could you guys please explain what is possibly going on?thx in advance

Your new tv has a cable tuner built-in, and when you scan for channels, if a neighbor is watching a PPV/on demand movie at that time, you will pick it up. So, when he rewinds, or does whatever, you get the same thing. You only will get these on a channel scan, and ONLY if somebody on your same trunkline nearby is watching a PPV /on demand at that time. Pefectly legal, so don't worry. Except you might quickly learn how many of your neighbors are perverts!!! :D:D
So be careful who's in the room with you when you scan, as you might scar a little kid mentally with the wrong stuff!!

In theory, pay content would not be available in the clear and I'm pretty sure that Comcast isn't going to offer any free adult content (although they do seem to be bulking up on the adult content lately).

to do this sort of stuff, I'm guessing you have to have a subscription and qam card or tv?... We have old cable that comes up to the house but are not subscribed

to do this sort of stuff, I'm guessing you have to have a subscription and qam card or tv?... We have old cable that comes up to the house but are not subscribed

You just need a QAM tuner, a live cable line, and to scan at times you suspect a nearby neighbor might be watching a PPV/On Demand movie or show. It will only pick these up if somebody on your local trunk line is watching one at the time you scan. If you pick it up, watch it, and it eventually ends, the channel will go dead. You'd then have to scan again for any new ones. So, it's "catch as catch can".

Some providers have also encrypted these On Demand streams so that this cannot occur. Our cable system was originally Insight, then was acquired by Comcast. Insight was one of the first to implement VOD encryption, and I'm willing to bet that Comcast left it in place.

...Except you might quickly learn how many of your neighbors are perverts!!! :D:D

What's worse is when someone in your trunkline is an obsessive Leo Dicraprio fan. If I had a dollar for everytime "Man in the Iron Mask" was on at least one of the sub-channels; I could actually afford what I'm watching!

But yah, this really seems like something that should be in one of the cable forums (rather than OTA)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts