Free satellite for 148 user with 110 locals?

enjoyoutdoors

Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
I see posts about asking Dish for a free satellite for local stations. I use international channels and only one dish so I would need a second for my local channels (portland). Will they supply me a free satellite in this case?

Your portland locals come from the same dish that the internationals come from (Assuming you have the superdish 121 right?) portland does not have any locals at 148, so you are not eligible for the free dish

I have a dish 500 with twin lnb oriented to 148

It would take a second dish to get 121 as well I believe?

on edit:
Oh I see what you are saying. I can reorient to 121 and get both.
Thanks, I did not realize they were on 121.

Wait.
You have 2 dish now?
A dish 500 pointed at 110/119
and a dish 500 pointed at 148 to get internationals?

and You want to add your Portland locals?

Well that is really simple, what they'd do is Install a superdish that would pick up 110/119/121.
The internationals you're getting at 148 are also on 121, and since your locals are also on 121, this 1 super dish can replace the 2 dish 500s you are using now.

Just call up dish and tell them you want to add your locals, and they will swap all of your dishes out for free

enjoyoutdoors said:
It would take a second dish to get 121 as well I believe?

on edit:
Oh I see what you are saying. I can reorient to 121 and get both.
Thanks, I did not realize they were on 121.

Not necessarily. You say you have "one dish" for internationals but that doesn't really tell us anything. Do you have a SuperDISH for internationals on 121? Do you have a DISH300 for internationals on 61.5 or 148? Neither Portland, ME or Portland, OR would require a separate DISH as long as you have a SuperDISH. You CANNOT re-orient ANY dish to get 148 AND any other orbital location.

I have a dish 500

From what I read superdish is larger.
OK. I think I understand. They offer the free dish if you already have the locals but can't get one that they have put on another satellite? Not if you simply have service and want them and they are on another satellite?

So currently you only have 1 dish at 148 just getting internationals with no dish packages?

You want to add locals, but you want to make sure the dish is free right?

Well if you call up and add locals with at least at60 and commit to a year of that programming, then YES they will install the dish you need to get your locals for free. Which in this case is a 121 superdish.

I was saying that since the internationals you already subscribe to at 148 are also at 121 with your locals, you wouldn't have to have 2 dishes for both your locals. BUT the current dish you have now will not work at 121.

enjoyoutdoors said:
Pointed to 148 for internationals

I'm assuming you mean Portland, Oregon. All you will need to get those locals is another DISH300 pointed at 119. You could also get a DISH500 which will pick up both 110 and 119. You could also get a SuperDISH which will pick up 110, 119 and 121 (which has more international channels).

Whoops. :D

I dunno what I was smoking :D

Righhht Portland OREGON!

Duh.

Yeah, those locals are on 110.

So same things except now it's another dish 500, and you'd have to have 2 dishes to keep the internationals at 148, (or you can do the internationals deal at 121 also, but then there'd be some fees)

Thanks for the help

You are correct I do not have a regular subscription. Just the internationals. Which is a bit high priced already (we spend $40/month for 3 international channels *and* had to buy our own dish. I don't need regular programming but I do miss local channels (which do not come in well ota). But I don't think I want to buy another dish. Was just curious.
I may just need to give them a call and see if they would be willing to do something since I am a good customer ;)
Thanks again!

BFG said:
Whoops. :D

I dunno what I was smoking :D

Righhht Portland OREGON!

Duh.

Yeah, those locals are on 110.

Still smoking something because Portland, OR locals are not on 121 or 110. They are on 119. Maybe you should go take a nap.

Well, if I read this thread correctly, he's got a D500 pointed at 148.

If he adds the standard basic package, they'll provide a D500 for 110/119.

He needs to work with the installer on a swap-it-out deal to get something like a DPP-Twin for his existing 500, swing it over to 110/119 and then add a D300 for 148.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts