Free To Air (FTA) Satellite TV In Iraq

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pgg

Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
(I did search the forums, but every hit I got for 'iraq' was a political thread. I also tried to include some links in this post, but the forum software accused me of being a spammer and made me remove them.)

I'm looking for a complete FTA satellite system to take with me to Iraq this August. I don't know much about FTA television, though I have a fair amount of experience setting up two-way satellite internet systems. When I was in Afghanistan last year, one of the locals sold me a small dish and receiver to get FTA TV programming. I don't recall which satellite it was pointed at, but we ended up with a handful of English channels including CNN International, BBC, Eurosport ... and not much else.

This question has essentially two parts:
1) What hardware is appropriate for western Iraq?
2) What English-language programming can I expect to receive?

I'd like a good quality free to air receiver, preferably with an electronic program guide. From my searches, the Coolsat Pro 400 seems to be recommended most often. Several places sell complete systems based on this receiver, but will it will work in Iraq?

Regarding FTA programming, lyngsat has a ton of information, but I'm not really finding the info I want. One page, [link censored by forum] shows all of the Iraqi TV channels I can watch, but what I want is English language (US, UK, some European?) channels that I can watch in Iraq.

For example, I see that Hotbird 6 carries NBC Europe, an allegedly free DVB channel. But western Iraq appears to be at the edge of the satellite's footprint (shown at [link censored by forum], and the satellite itself appears to be about 15 degrees above the horizon. Would I be able to tune this channel on a Coolsat Pro 4000? Is a 33" dish big enough to get a solid signal given how low on the horizon the satellite is? How does the 42-44 dBW ring on the map factor into this? Are there multiple satellites with English channels that justify buying a motorized dish that can move from one to another automatically?

So, the information I'm looking for here concerns hardware and programming:

1) Specific hardware that will work in Iraq. Will a Coolsat 4000 Pro work in Iraq? Is there a better system available, in your opinion? Viewsat VS2000? If those won't work in Iraq, what system will? If there's no appropriate complete system on the market, I need a list of individual parts to buy.

2) A list of English language, free to air TV channels, preferably organized by satellite. For example, a set of statements like "Over FictionalSatellite at 26 east, you can get AFN, CNN International, Eurosport, ..." for every satellite that has FTA English programming and a footprint that covers western Iraq.

I know this is a complicated question asking for lots of info, but I really don't know what I'm doing. All I want is to watch some TV. :)

Thanks.

FTA in Iraq

Hello and welcome to the forum :welcome
I am not an expert on what equipment you can take from here that will work in Iraq. But I can tell you that there has been a satellite revolution in that part of the world after the fall of the previous regime. I think you could consider saving your money and effort of carrying all that stuff with you and think about buying equipment from Iraq for a few reasons:
1. What you buy there may not be the cutting edge technology but you will know that it works, especially because you said you just want to watch some TV
2. It must be a LOT cheaper to buy equipment there.
3. You won't know what channels you will get until you talk to people over there because people here are more focused on what they can get in this region.
I hope this is helpful. That's my 2.5 cents and I leave the stage to the geeks out there to give some advice. :)

Hello PGG

Welcome to this forum.

At your location you should be able to view all the Hotbird satellites without a problem. I recommend a 90cm offset dish or bigger. Any FTA receiver will work fine there. The Coolsat or the Fortec Lifetime Ultra should be fine. I would recommend you get a motorized system with a USALS ( DiSEqC 1.3 )compatible motor such as the HH100, HH120, or the Satcontrol SM3D12. You might be able to find these locally or in Amman, JORDAN.

Lyngsat is your interent source for what channels are available on what satellite. Another good source, is the SatcoDX CD that comes with the Tele-Satellite magazine. Using the program in that CD, you can enter your latitude/longitude, and size of your dish. The program will calculate and list all the channels and satellite signals you can receive at your location.

If you decide you want a subscription package (similar to Dish Network or DirecTV here in the USA), then ORBIT is your choice. They carry most of the American premium channels like Showtime, Discovery, TLC, and other. You can get subscription and equipment from their dealers in JORDAN or KUWAIT.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply -

adwan001 said:
1. What you buy there may not be the cutting edge technology but you will know that it works, especially because you said you just want to watch some TV
What concerns me about buying a system there is that I'm sure 99% of the systems they sell are for people who primarily want to watch Arabic-language channels from the middle east. They may also want to watch some European TV ... but I suspect that's more of an afterthought. I doubt there's much of a local market that's interested in what I want - American networks/shows (rebroadcast to European markets on European satellites?), stuff produced in the UK, and other English language European TV.

adwan001 said:
2. It must be a LOT cheaper to buy equipment there.
Possibly, but given the security situation where I'm going, I can't count on being able to drop by a local business or head over to the marketplace.

adwan001 said:
3. You won't know what channels you will get until you talk to people over there because people here are more focused on what they can get in this region.
That may be true ... but I've talked to people in the unit we're relieving and didn't have much luck. I'm sure it's possible to get more than AFN (Armed Forces Network). I'm hoping there's someone who reads this forum that's familiar with that part of the world.

Let us know what you are able to receive over there. I am curious.

pgg

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your service :usa

Sadoun,

Thank you for the information. I'll look it over and will probably have more questions for you before I order a system. :) Would you (or someone with the program you mentioned) post or PM me the results for 34°22'N 41°07'E (Al Qaim)?

derdude said:
Let us know what you are able to receive over there. I am curious.
I'll be sure to post once I get over there.

PSB said:
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your service
My pleasure, my honor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)