Free Upgrade to a 622?

lakebum431 said:
I ask again, are these for leased or owned 942s?

When they made the offer to me, they just said "One" of your 942 receivers. They didn't specify which one, but I would surely want to keep the 942 I currently own , and upgrade the one I lease. Otherwise, I would be facing an added monthly lease fee.

Tom in TX

Tom in TX said:
When they made the offer to me, they just said "One" of your 942 receivers. They didn't specify which one, but I would surely want to keep the 942 I currently own , and upgrade the one I lease. Otherwise, I would be facing an added monthly lease fee.

Tom in TX

I'm curious about this too... other than Tom in TX, do you folks who've gotten this call own or lease your 942?

drjdan said:
Tom in TX,

I am in Dallas also. What sats do you have? I have a D500 for 110 and 119 and another D500 for 61.5. What set up do you have?

I have the same - sorry it took so long to reply, as I missed your post!

Tom in TX

drjdan said:
Ton in TX,

Are they shipping the 622 to you for self install or going to have a tech bring out?

I am not taking them up on the offer. I will stick with my two 942's for now. I love the 942's, and in my opinion, not enough HD that I'm missing to justify the extra monthly costs!

Tom in TX

I am with you Tom. I live in the Dallas Ft.Worth DMA and also got the call last night. I didn't go for it. They asked me why and I told them price point. They then replied so if it were free with no upfont cost you would do it? I then replied yes hoping to get that deal. No deal though. They told me that I had a week to call back and take the offer. By the way- I am leasing my 942

Last edited:
I got the call and the tech said it was basically "free": they'd charge me 199 but give me a 199 credit with NO additional costs. I called them back a couple days later to accept the offer which they said was still good. The 299 fee was discounted to 199.

However, upon finalizing the deal I hit upon a sticker. All I want from Dish is their HD programming, I NEVER watch SD because it looks like crap on my 120" screen. I subscribe to the HD package, Voom Originals, and HBO/SHOwtime (just to get the 2 HD channels). I get local HD just fine OTA. Since I don't want any of their basic SD packages, I pay $6/mo for a connect fee.

Turns out, this deal is ONLY available if you subscribe to one of their basic SD packages for 18 months starting at $39/month! This is a HD receiver offer but they force you to subscribe to a SD package!!! Since I don't want the SD stuff, I'm basically paying 39*18=$702 for the upgrade. It's not FREE if you have to buy additional programming you don't want. Has anyone done this WITHOUT getting a basic SD package?

I just got the call, and it sounded like a good deal with no upfront cost to me. However my monthly cost would go up $10 per month. So I asked what am I getting for the additional $10 per month. She started off by saying I'd get my HD locals. I told her I already was receiving my hd locals OTA. She says but off air is not digital. I said yes it is digital. She says it's not 'true all digital'. After we argue for a while, I tell her that well my OTA not true digital looks better than Voom and I'm afraid that Dish's HD locals may be a downgrade from the OTA HD locals. She says Voom doesn't look as good because it's 'enhanced' but the Dish HD locals will be superior to my OTA.

So I give up on that discussion and try to pin her down on what I get for $10. She really doesn't even know. I mean I know I'll get the other Voom channels, UHD, ESP2HD, HGTV, and any future channels, but I want her to tell me what I get for $10. Then funnily enough all of a sudden I'm disconnected.

I may call back to take advantage of the deal, but I wonder how they feel when they call someone on this forum that knows more about it than they do. I guess I shouldn't give her a hard time it's not her fault she is put in this position, but geez if they are going to raise my monthly rate, I expect them to know enough to tell me why, and not try to mislead me with the line that my OTA HD locals aren't digital.

Tom Bombadil said:
What number did you call to accept the offer? Something different than the standard 1-800-333-3474 number?
Yeah, that number. They start off saying it's $299 but then say that they can authorize a discount to $199. The guy last Thursday said I had one week to take advantage of the offer and he didn't mention that I had to subscribe to one of the basic packages. I'd like to get the 622 but not if I have to sign up for an SD package.

The Call

Dish called to offer to take my owned 942, which I purchased only 6 months ago, and send me a leased 622 for $0. It would cost $199 but I would get $199 back after sending in my 942.

I would have to subscribe to their new program package, which would cost $17 more with leasing fees and offer nothing worthwhile for me since I receive OTA locals fine and the additional channels are not needed.

So, I would lose my $700 owned 942, and get nothing back except the ability to rent the 622???? What kind of crappy offer is that?????:confused:

Last edited:
I got the call and took them up on the offer. I live in Seattle and they just introduced HD LILs on 5/10 (but not FOX, yet!). I did it b/c my OTA HD locals were a bit spotty using my antenna, and I figure the $10/month for a guaranteed signal for network programming, plus ESPN2HD for the World Cup is a good deal. My 942 was leased and my 622 will be too. Right now I have two dishes on my roof (500?) and when the installer comes out this Saturday, they said he'd put up a Dish 1000. I don't know what the schedule is like for others, but the CSR called me on 5/25 and my install could have been as early as 5/30. I opted for the Saturday so I don't have to leave work, but that kind of turnaround seemed great to me!

In all these cases did you all have HD locals available in your market before you got "the call?" I'm in St. Louis and we're supposed to get locals pretty soon, but when I called DISH this morning, the woman said that there was no such thing as a no cost $199 swap out of a 942 for a 622. I told her apparantly there is in some areas, and she said, "I've been doing this a long time, and I have never hear of it." Just trying to figure out what's going on and if the customer service person was nuts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)