From 722 to Hopper Duo

Status
Please reply by conversation.
First of all, since Dish is letting you keep the 722, those recordings on its internal hard drive will still work just fine after it is deactivated. I have plenty of experience using my old deactivated 722k's for precisely this purpose.

You should be aware that the Hopper 3 would cost an extra $5 per month in fees ($15 Hopper 3 DVR fee, vs. only $10 per month for the Hopper Duo). Additionally, Dish would likely charge you a $100 upgrade fee up-front for the Hopper 3, instead of the low-cost (or no-cost) upgrade to the Hopper Duo.

I can tell you from my own personal experience that it is very easy to do the upgrade from a 722 to a Hopper Duo yourself, especially if you are not adding a Joey. Just unhook the cable from the separator on the back of the 722, hook it up to the Hopper Duo, and run a Test Installation check. It is that simple.

Having said that, Dish would probably not allow you to do the upgrade yourself if you get the Hopper Duo from them. They seem to insist on sending an installer for any such upgrades. If you would be interested in purchasing a Hopper Duo so you can do the upgrade yourself, I have one that I am not using, that I can sell you cheap. Send me a PM if you are interested. I also have a 1TB external hard drive that I know for sure will work with both a 722 and a Hopper Duo, if you would be interested in purchasing it also. I downsized my Dish system recently, so my extra equipment is just taking up space here, not being used. I would like to see it go to a good home. :)

First of all, since Dish is letting you keep the 722, those recordings on its internal hard drive will still work just fine after it is deactivated. I have plenty of experience using my old deactivated 722k's for precisely this purpose.

You should be aware that the Hopper 3 would cost an extra $5 per month in fees ($15 Hopper 3 DVR fee, vs. only $10 per month for the Hopper Duo). Additionally, Dish would likely charge you a $100 upgrade fee up-front for the Hopper 3, instead of the low-cost (or no-cost) upgrade to the Hopper Duo.

I can tell you from my own personal experience that it is very easy to do the upgrade from a 722 to a Hopper Duo yourself, especially if you are not adding a Joey. Just unhook the cable from the separator on the back of the 722, hook it up to the Hopper Duo, and run a Test Installation check. It is that simple.

Having said that, Dish would probably not allow you to do the upgrade yourself if you get the Hopper Duo from them. They seem to insist on sending an installer for any such upgrades. If you would be interested in purchasing a Hopper Duo so you can do the upgrade yourself, I have one that I am not using, that I can sell you cheap. Send me a PM if you are interested. I also have a 1TB external hard drive that I know for sure will work with both a 722 and a Hopper Duo, if you would be interested in purchasing it also. I downsized my Dish system recently, so my extra equipment is just taking up space here, not being used. I would like to see it go to a good home. :)
Thanks so much for all that great info! Things are still up in the air, but I've got to make a decision very soon. I'll be in touch.

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
Isn't the Hopper Duo really just a 722 with the new GUI operating system?

Isn't the Hopper Duo really just a 722 with the new GUI operating system?
Hardly. I did a fairly thorough review of the differences between the 722 and the Hopper Duo back when the Hopper Duo first came out, but I do not feel like going back and looking up that post at the moment.

The most important benefits of the Hopper Duo are:
  • Ability to have HD at a second TV (by adding a Joey)
  • Access to Apps and Streaming channels
  • Ability to use voice commands
  • Ability to record all four major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox) with a single tuner
    • This feature requires you to set separate timers for each show you want to record. It does not include the automatic recording feature of PTAT like a regular Hopper.

Additionally, assuming Marv B has the original 722 (not the 722k) the Hopper Duo has the advantage of supporting the dual-tuner OTA USB adapter, compared to only one built-in OTA tuner on the 722. (With either the 722k or the Hopper Duo, the lack of any built-in OTA tuner could be seen as a disadvantage, though.)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell
... If you would be interested in purchasing a Hopper Duo so you can do the upgrade yourself, I have one that I am not using, that I can sell you cheap. Send me a PM if you are interested. I also have a 1TB external hard drive that I know for sure will work with both a 722 and a Hopper Duo, if you would be interested in purchasing it also. I downsized my Dish system recently, so my extra equipment is just taking up space here, not being used. I would like to see it go to a good home. :)
Thanks Marv B, for purchasing my external hard drive. The Hopper Duo is still available to anyone who wants it.

crodrules for future reference. Selling on SatelliteGuys is only allowed by Pub members. We also have a specific place for selling stuff once you become a Pub member.
This way you don't hijack a thread to sell stuff. We let this one slip through the cracks, just a friendly reminder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts