From D to E, 4 months in.

silverdiskdj

SatelliteGuys Family
May 28, 2004
I think if you add in that "Heartland" package for $5 a month to the AT120, then it would be almost identical to Directv's Entertainment pack... meaning price is about the same. The one thing I do think DISH has that edge on, unless I just don't know Directv's receivers, is that I can have 2 TVs hooked up to our 722k, watch programs in 2 different rooms, without paying extra.

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
I've been with Dish about the same amount of time. I left Direct too. I love my Hoppers!. My wife is in love with PTAT and the storage space. One thing I love is the fact that when you hit the DVR button your the tiles will let you know if its a new show or not. Plus it will only record the new ones!!!!

My old Direct DVR would record repeats all the time. I always had it set to new only. That did not matter. The fact that when you add a EHD it adds to the storage space and does not just take it's place. The Sling adapter is wonderful!! It sure beats the hell out of DirecTV everywhere. Yes I know you can get a sling box for Direct. With Dish its either built in the new Hopper or its $50 for an adapter. You don't have to pay over $100 for a Sling Box and then $30 for the Android app to watch it.

I am very happy with Dish. Having DIRT here is always a huge plus. Direct should look into something like that.

I guess the one thing I don't like is the AEP increase by $15 and they didn't add anything to it. They should at least added the sports pack or Blockbuster pack. Hell I would take more HD for the premiums. Especially the Showtimes like Beyond and Extreme. I know prices go up but $15 and nothing new added??? Premier with Direct is $5 more has their sports pack added and it has more HD premiums. Come on Dish....you can do better.

I would agree with AEP, they should add sportspack to it

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
unless I'm looking at something else the pricing is pretty much the same now
Dish has AT120 for 49.99--Directv's Entertainment is 54.99 and has more channels in it
Dish has AT200 for 64.99--Directv Choice is same price 64.99
Dish has AT250 for 74.99--Directv has Choice Xtra for 70.99 and Ultimate for 77.99 depending on what "extras" you want with Ultimate (has 6 channels + Encore not in Choice)

So next up is extra costs. 3 TVs, two HD, with independent viewing and 4 independent tuners plus 2 over the air for a total of 6 independent . Looks like $23 with $17 for the extra receiver and $6 for DVR service on Dish. I seem to recall DirecTV was materially more expensive for the same level of service.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
So next up is extra costs. 3 TVs, two HD, with independent viewing and 4 independent tuners plus 2 over the air for a total of 6 independent . Looks like $23 with $17 for the extra receiver and $6 for DVR service on Dish. I seem to recall DirecTV was materially more expensive for the same level of service.

well I was just comparing programming prices but I guess if you want to try and spin it sure I'll play
Genie/HR34 with AM21 in main room
HD DVR in 2nd room (hell its only $6 to add so "go big or go home" I guess)
SD receiver in 2nd room but hell make it a C31 or H25 (again you may need to get HD on that TV soon)

$20...6 for each receiver and 8 for DVR and 8 tuners (7 if you go with a C31)

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
oh I have to correct myself. DVR fee on D* goes to $10 this month so its $22
Dish's DVR fee went up a buck too (to $7)

Mochuf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 16, 2012
Michigan
I think if you add in that "Heartland" package for $5 a month to the AT120, then it would be almost identical to Directv's Entertainment pack... meaning price is about the same. The one thing I do think DISH has that edge on, unless I just don't know Directv's receivers, is that I can have 2 TVs hooked up to our 722k, watch programs in 2 different rooms, without paying extra.

I also think that D* Entertainment Package has a better assortment of channels than AT120 + Heartland has. BBCA, Animal Planet, Velocity are superior to Rural TV, GMC, and Hallmark Movie Channel. IMO anyway! ;)

acostapimps

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 31, 2012
Illinois
The only thing that matters to me is programming I like to watch, and the amount of recording on 5 tuners vs 3 (unless you're getting 2 Hoppers) and good picture quality, but to me Dish wins on upfront fees in leasing equipment ($200 Hopper with sling + $100 Original Hopper vs $399 Genie HR34 + $199 Whole Home DVR Service if upgrading to SWM)

mdram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2005
Md
The only thing that matters to me is programming I like to watch, and the amount of recording on 5 tuners vs 3 (unless you're getting 2 Hoppers) and good picture quality, but to me Dish wins on upfront fees in leasing equipment ($200 Hopper with sling + $100 Original Hopper vs $399 Genie HR34 + $199 Whole Home DVR Service if upgrading to SWM)

but with direct the genie fits in with existing equipment
no need to replace everything, keep all your existing dvrs and just add it

Yespage

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ohio
unless I'm looking at something else the pricing is pretty much the same now
Dish has AT120 for 49.99--Directv's Entertainment is 54.99 and has more channels in it
Dish has AT200 for 64.99--Directv Choice is same price 64.99
Dish has AT250 for 74.99--Directv has Choice Xtra for 70.99 and Ultimate for 77.99 depending on what "extras" you want with Ultimate (has 6 channels + Encore not in Choice)

What I see on the dish site that (IMO) is a ripoff is AT120+ for 59.99? ($10 more for a RSN?) Why not pay $5 more and get AT200 as you get your RSN in AT200?
Like I said, Dish is a little cheaper programming wise. Not certain why you bothered wasting your time with that response. My post was not wholesaling something that wasn't true.

patmurphey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 29, 2006
New Jersey
SOME subscribers get that $10 credit. I have AEP and don't get it.

It is not valid to show discounts that some get and others don't when making a comparison.

IF you had AEP prior to the price increase you should investigate why you are not getting it. Contact a DIRT team member.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN

If you're a new sub the prices are way less
Also where is this $199 WHDVR fee coming from? If you upgrade to a Genie there is no extra "fee" other than maybe (depending on tenure) a install fee of $50

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Like I said, Dish is a little cheaper programming wise. Not certain why you bothered wasting your time with that response. My post was not wholesaling something that wasn't true.
Because I felt like it ;)
One package is cheaper and its not even an apples to apples comparison

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
but Mike_H wasnt using a hopper scenario. He as trying to spin it with older equipment so it looked better ;)

This always happens when comparisons are made and it is unfortunate as it leads people to a misinformed conclusion.

I'd say that as of the new prices, the differential between Dish and Direct is practically nil. What that means is that the only sure way to save money from one to the other is switch every couple of years. Frankly I expect that to increase as wages stagnate and prices don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts