From Dish Network (Although not officially): Remote Questions

An easy way to keep people from changing channels on the TV is to program the TV so that it it will tune to ONLY the satellite channel . On most newer TV's it has something called "Channel Autoprogram " where the TV cycles through all of the channels looking for a signal . When it finds a video signal, it adds that channel . This can usually also be done manually . I did this with all of my TV's and never have a problem with the TV channel being changed (by the Wife and Kids ) .

how about offering a 6 device, light up universal remote with a lithium battery?

How about offering a 6 device, light up universal remote with a lithium battery? :cool:

Why not just remove all the other modes and have it only operate the sat receiver ? That would remove any chance of a customer ever getting confused about what piece of equipment they're operating.

Geeeesh - where on earth does Dish come up with these people ?

I mean really......do they consider their customers so stupid that they can't understand the basic workings of a simple 4 function remote ? Maybe they need to think about requiring an IQ test before selling the customer a receiver in the first place. They probably should require a degree in mechanical engineering to be able to purchace a dual tuner pvr.

I realize that some people are more technically challanged that others but seriously, if someone is incapable of figuring out how to switch from TV "mode" to "SAT" mode, they probably don't have the ability to program the remote to run their tv anyway.

The Dish remotes, while doing a fair job of running Dish equipment, have never, ever , ever been considered a serious "universal remote" anyway.

What Dish should do is poll for feedback about "real" universal remotes and maybe contract out having a decent, 8 fuction, learning remote manufactured.

If These are my only options I believe #1 to be the best. However I think bcsheilds has the best idea. Have all installers carry a few "simplified" remotes for the tech challenged folks and leave them with that one instead of the normal one. Dish warehouse begins to have too many normal remotes lyin around, Ship them back for credit or exchage for more "simplified" remotes. This is a no brainer!! I believe Dish actually has a working model of one of these remotes already available. They just have done a poor job letting the masses of older folks know about them.

waltinvt\ said:
Why not just remove all the other modes and have it only operate the sat receiver ? That would remove any chance of a customer ever getting confused about what piece of equipment they're operating.

Geeeesh - where on earth does Dish come up with these people ?

I mean really......do they consider their customers so stupid that they can't understand the basic workings of a simple 4 function remote ? Maybe they need to think about requiring an IQ test before selling the customer a receiver in the first place. They probably should require a degree in mechanical engineering to be able to purchace a dual tuner pvr.

I realize that some people are more technically challanged that others but seriously, if someone is incapable of figuring out how to switch from TV "mode" to "SAT" mode, they probably don't have the ability to program the remote to run their tv anyway.

The Dish remotes, while doing a fair job of running Dish equipment, have never, ever , ever been considered a serious "universal remote" anyway.

What Dish should do is poll for feedback about "real" universal remotes and maybe contract out having a decent, 8 fuction, learning remote manufactured.

A lot of these folks are older folks that are trying to get a cheaper basic cable bill. Which is exactly what they get through Dish Net. The downside is they've never even had digital cable most of the time and they are used to one power button, ch. up, ch. down and volume (they don't even use the numbers on the remote because they don't move fast enough to punch them in on time). So now you are expecting someone who for 30 or 40 years has used those simple comands to now understand the Dish remote? Your asking a lot. The best thing I've found to do is give them detailed instructions on a limited sequence of buttons. Show them the cancel button in case of an emergency, and make them go through my written instructions. I sometimes spend an hour explaining the remote in one of theses households. It's the only way they'll learn. Spend a little time with them.

Tech27 said:
A lot of these folks are older folks that are trying to get a cheaper basic cable bill. Which is exactly what they get through Dish Net. The downside is they've never even had digital cable most of the time and they are used to one power button, ch. up, ch. down and volume (they don't even use the numbers on the remote because they don't move fast enough to punch them in on time). So now you are expecting someone who for 30 or 40 years has used those simple comands to now understand the Dish remote? Your asking a lot. The best thing I've found to do is give them detailed instructions on a limited sequence of buttons. Show them the cancel button in case of an emergency, and make them go through my written instructions. I sometimes spend an hour explaining the remote in one of theses households. It's the only way they'll learn. Spend a little time with them.
That's exactly the problem with the remotes. After 3 years my elderly parents still don't know what to do when the remote goes off SAT mode.

But who in business these days will give you an hour of their time teaching you how to use a remote control?

I still think my "option 4" idea is the best.

Just to clarify my previous post, which may have come across too harsh on the technically challanged.

I think it's a great idea if Dish would have a more "simple" remote available for those folks and I think it's great if and when an installer spends the time to insure they know how to use it.

Maybe I misunderstood the poll - I thought it was asking about changes they wanted to make to the standard Dish remotes.

waltinvt\ said:
Maybe I misunderstood the poll - I thought it was asking about changes they wanted to make to the standard Dish remotes.
It is. "Limited Mode" is an optional mode that makes the remote work in a limited way. One is not required to use "Limited Mode". The question asked was just how limited the remote should be --- the consensus here seems to be Option #1, with the members of this board never using "Limited Mode".

JL

I just got an email from Steve Caulk at Dish Network that shows me that a lot of Dish Employees seem to have their head stuck up their ass.

When I received this email with this poll it came from an Dish Network employee asking me "Would you mind posting this survey for us" which I did.

Now I get an email from Steve Caulk telling me
"But "DISH Network" did not ask you to.

You are misrepresenting your connection with us, implying that you are acting in an official capacity.

SC"

It came from Dish Network, I was asked to post it. Therefore the title remains. Sorry Steve, and please get your head out of our ass. Thanks.

Scott You know if they were smart they could use this site to their benefit. They need an attitude adjustment. Now that I think about it more he's probably a lawyer. Totally different breed. I still agree with Shakespeare, if you know what I mean.

The problem I had with telling people how to do limited mode is that it would be peachy, couldn't change the channel and everything would be peachy until it stopped working. Then all of a sudden they get upset because the remote isn't working, for that reason I personally favor the recover button. I have worked with thousands of customers with that issue and I remember some that they would honestly think the remote is not working because they never remember the SAT button.

I'm going to buck the trend and say #2 is the best option but it should also lock out the VCR and AUX buttons. Then you don't have to ever deal with the remote being in the wrong mode by accident. Thus, limited mode is really "non-universal" mode. This would be the ideal setup for people who can't deal with a multi-component remote. The rest of us can keep our remote in normal mode and when it doesn't do what we want, we press the correct mode button and try again.

As was mentioned before, the problem with option #1 is if you press TV mode button because you really do want to control your TV and change your TV channel (watching OTA broadcasts) and the remote automagically goes back to Sat. mode, you will be confused why the remote doesn't change channels anymore. The sat. receiver will be changing channels in the background but you won't see anything happening and think "the @#%& thing is not working again!" You may have the presence of mind press the correct mode button and try again. But if you can do that, you probably don't need to be in limited mode in the first place and the automatic switch to Sat. mode just becomes a nuisance.

ByrdWatcher said:
Scott You know if they were smart they could use this site to their benefit.

That's what I keep telling them. :)

If someone from Dish sends me something and tells me to post it I will, I have no plan on changing the way I do things.

It's funny when dish network seems something they don't like they email me to take care of the problem. And I was stupid enough to do it in the past. Not anymore, Dish Network does not pay the bills. Sorry Dish. Why should I work hard to help them with everything they want when at the same time they do nothing for us.

Sorry dish.

Option 1 : simply would work best for me & my usage pattern. I also would like to see the DISH Home button with a disable option. Even making it have delayed functionality would help (i.e. - button must be depressed for four seconds to activate)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)