Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
There has been some mis information going around about the Hopper Internet Connector.

So to set the record straight, I just got the following information from DISH to pass along...

With a direct connect to Hopper – Hopper can access all apps, BB@Home, and DLNA
- Joey can access all apps (EXCEPT DLNA HOME MEDIA) and BB@Home
To get DLNA to a Joey
- Need to direct connect the Joey OR use a HIC

Also there are reports of App freezing – we have identified an issue that will be fixed shortly
Many reports of DLNA not working – we are looking into it

There has been some mis information going around about the Hopper Internet Connector.

So to set the record straight, I just got the following information from DISH to pass along...

With a direct connect to Hopper – Hopper can access all apps, BB@Home, and DLNA
- Joey can access all apps (EXCEPT DLNA HOME MEDIA) and BB@Home
To get DLNA to a Joey
- Need to direct connect the Joey OR use a HIC

Also there are reports of App freezing – we have identified an issue that will be fixed shortly
Many reports of DLNA not working – we are looking into it

I connected my router to my Joey since they are right next to each other just to see what happens. The Joey shows it is connected but it doesn't seem to allow any feature. Do you know if just having the Joey connected does anything?

When I go home for lunch I'm going to try putting in the HIC to see how it works.

For two hoppers, you'd either need the hopper internet connector or hardwire both hoppers for the time being (or last resort wifi). Correct?

i think it sounded like hardwiring just one hopper wouldn't work in a two hopper system to get internet to both, but i wanted to be 100% sure. (until the seamless software is pushed)

I made sure they used a hopper internet connector on mine as i only had ethernet access in one of the rooms and didn't want to risk experimenting. I could feel the time pressure during the whole install just to deal with the hopper setup nightmare.

For two hoppers, you'd either need the hopper internet connector or hardwire both hoppers for the time being (or last resort wifi). Correct?

i think it sounded like hardwiring just one hopper wouldn't work in a two hopper system to get internet to both, but i wanted to be 100% sure. (until the seamless software is pushed)

Correct. 2 Hoppers, 2 seperate networks.

Bottom line, at least for now, new installs probably need to insist on an internet connector.

I have 2H/3J. I have 1 Hopper hardwired. So I need to hardwire/Wifi the other Hopper and add an HIC? Can I put the HIC inline with a Hopper?

I have 2H/3J. I have 1 Hopper hardwired. So I need to hardwire/Wifi the other Hopper and add an HIC? Can I put the HIC inline with a Hopper?

You don't need both. Adding the HIC appears to fix it for everything on the network.

You can't do inline with a Hopper, but you can probably put a tap in at the Hopper location and place the HIC there. You can do inline with a Joey.

HICs are tiny, smaller than they look in the docs, smaller than half a Joey.

Ok, I just got done connecting my HIC by my Joey in the kitchen and now everything in the house is connected to the internet now. The Hopper in the living room and the Hopper in the basement are both connected and so are my 2 Joeys. Was a pretty simple task.

Ok, I just got done connecting my HIC by my Joey in the kitchen and now everything in the house is connected to the internet now. The Hopper in the living room and the Hopper in the basement are both connected and so are my 2 Joeys. Was a pretty simple task.
did you use the passthrough on the HIC or a splitter to each joey and hic?

i guess you could do it either way at this point. Just one less wire short coax cable with the passthrough.

What do you see when you do an internet connect test at the Joey?

Hrm. I wonder if I'll need a HIC, or if the USB Wireless works on the Joey. I currently have 2 Hoppers (downstairs, each with their own USB wireless stick connected to the 5Ghz Wireless in the house), and the Joey upstairs on coax to the node, but near enough to get hardwire to the internet router/switch, or I could use the 3rd USB Wireless stick on the Joey if it's supported.

Ideas from the experts?

LER said:
Hrm. I wonder if I'll need a HIC, or if the USB Wireless works on the Joey. I currently have 2 Hoppers (downstairs, each with their own USB wireless stick connected to the 5Ghz Wireless in the house), and the Joey upstairs on coax to the node, but near enough to get hardwire to the internet router/switch, or I could use the 3rd USB Wireless stick on the Joey if it's supported.

Ideas from the experts?

The Joeys should have connectivity through their respective Hopper, provided the Hopper itself is connected in some way to the router.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

DLNA seems to be a hit or miss on my Hopper. Some days it works, others not. Today it is. The Joey is another matter. BB and VOD both work through the Hopper or ethernet. DLNA does not. I know it's connected because I see it on my router and the broadband shows connected on the Joey. I've tried power cord reset and no help.

did you use the passthrough on the HIC or a splitter to each joey and hic?

i guess you could do it either way at this point. Just one less wire short coax cable with the passthrough.

I did the pass through. My Joey, HIC and router are all right next to each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)