From dish to direct - stick with dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
directvtopc is, I believe, the only way you can watch on your pc, so that is how I have been using it. It does NOT stream live tv and it is a stutter machine.

Again, it has been a while, but if I recall correctly, you could most definitely watch live with directv2pc. I did not use it much as I had little need, but the few times I did I recall that being a feature. And a fairly painless, stutter free one at that.

Perhaps current D* subs can correct me.

Edit: did you click the link I gave you before? Is that in fact the program that you are using?

I said that the 2nd TV output from the 722 is SD. And that sir is a fact. Yes you can record it in HD, but you can't watch tv2 in HD.

So your 2 big hang ups are Folders and viewing over the internet live. The folders thing is the first I have heard of. The internet again for alot of people works just fine. You are going to be the .5% that these features matter more than HD on all TV's and Whole Home DVR.

Speaking of your reliabe HR-24. I had one scheduled recording for tonight...my wife's Hawaii Five-0 and it didn't record. In history, it states "this episode was canceled because of a programming update"

Anyone know what that means?

It means the guide data was changed last minute by the network. Usually this is because of a sports event. On Monday it probably would've been a college football or basketball game. Here they bumped The Voice from 7pm to 1am to run the KU basketball game and I got the same message.

I think the other point that is missing in this discussion is that with Dish to watch live TV online "like you are sitting in front of the TV" you need either a Slingbox, a sling adapter, or a 922 which has the sling adapter built in. If you add a slingbox (or Vulkano, or similar device) to any DirecTV receiver you can do the same thing (no need to record first), which would solve one of the OP's problems. The other point is that to have DVR functions on all receivers you can use the C31 which works like the Hopper system.

Donberry, your gripes are very minor for what you gain with D*, and you can fix the watching in your garage problem with a sling or vulkano box. As far as using google to look for issues on the D* system, I am pretty sure you can find quite a few posts on here with people having issues with the Dish sling adapter. Each system has its flaws, but for me, when I got the HMC installed a few months ago, it was light years ahead of the 722 setup I had with Dish.

its a subjective choice. diff services are better for diff folks
i was hoppy with dish, until i lost channels i watched in mid season of programs
changing to direct was a learning curve, but im actually happier after the switch
the fact that i could just put an hr-34 into my existing system and not to change out all the units when i upgraded was great

Liquidforce88 said:
SWM kicks Dishes butt from an install stand point. Directv's equipment although it has it's problems is far more reliable.

Not sure I agree. Never had one missed recording with my 3 VIP 722. Missed 4 recordings on my HR34 and HR24 since I had them 4 weeks ago due to "canceled due to a programming update". Anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited:
JerseyMatt said:
It means the guide data was changed last minute by the network. Usually this is because of a sports event. On Monday it probably would've been a college football or basketball game. Here they bumped The Voice from 7pm to 1am to run the KU basketball game and I got the same message.

I don't buy that at all. I think it is a coding issue. No college football is ever played on Monday except for bowl season and college basketball hasn't started at all yet (starts 11/9). Anyone have success taping Hawaii 5 0 on Monday? I never onced missed a recording from Dish because of a programming update...the timer moved with change and didn't cancel it.

Last edited:
I don't buy that at all. I think it is a coding issue. No college football is ever played on Monday except for bowl season and college basketball hasn't started in networks. Anyone have success taping Hawaii 5 0 on Monday? I never onced missed a recording from Dish because of a programming update...the timer moved with change and didn't cancel it.

I don't know if I have ever missed a Scheduled Recording on any of my HR24's ....

I never have either - except when the network changes the programming. I told you what the error means. If you dont want to believe that someone other than DirecTV can be at fault, that's your problem.

Not sure I agree. Never had one missed recording with my 3 VIP 722. Missed 4 recordings on my HR34 and HR24 since I had them 4 weeks ago due to "canceled due to a programming update". Anyone know how to fix this?

OMG really. How many times have you had problems withthe 722 becuse Dish sent out a Beta software. I can't even count the times it happened. Dozens of recordings with portions missing.

But what I was really talking about was the units working right out of the box. With Dish as an installer dealing with the constant refurbished equipment, DOA receivers was 4 to 5 units a week. With Directv in four years, maybe 5 total.

Trying to narrow the problem further. If anyone in CST was able to record Hawaii 5-0 this past Monday at 9...then the network didn't change anything and something else causes the issue...an error I made in the recording or a setting I have that has a bug in it (first run.vs repeats) etc...

Just for fun go through your history and see if you see any recordings that were canceled due to this error and see if you think something may have changes its time. Directv's tech support says to not set on first run...but their hard drives aren't big enough to support this with 40+ series recodings in play with frequent repeats

Liquidforce88 said:
OMG really. How many times have you had problems withthe 722 becuse Dish sent out a Beta software. I can't even count the times it happened. Dozens of recordings with portions missing.

But what I was really talking about was the units working right out of the box. With Dish as an installer dealing with the constant refurbished equipment, DOA receivers was 4 to 5 units a week. With Directv in four years, maybe 5 total.

Not one in over 4 years! Must have been lucky just like all the others that haven't had a recording canceled with Directv

Not one in over 4 years! Must have been lucky just like all the others that haven't had a recording canceled with Directv

You wouldn't think that you were just UnLucky ?

How often has this been happening, is it something that is happening regularly ?

History shows:

HR34:
1 Today (E:60 at 1:00 a.m.). Only have first run on series...I certainly don't think ESPN aired a new show at 1:00 a.m. and no the message wasn't skipped because it didn't meet recording criteria.

2 Monday 11/5 (American greed at 8 and an HBO movie Goal 2 at 8:15)
1 Sunday 11/4 the x factor at 7:00 p.m.
1 Friday (11/2) Go On at 7 p.m.
1 Thursday (11/1) The office at 8 p.m.
1 Wednesday (10/31) E:60 at 9:00 p.m.
Software downloaded on 10/31
1 Tuesday (10/30) Go On at 9:01 p.m.
1 Thursday (10/18) E:60 at 6:00 p.m.
First recording was on 10/12!

....still think it is a guide update?...I am not convinced.

HR24:
Monday 11/2 Hawaii 5-0 at 9:00 p.m.

Last edited:
Only one canceled on my HR24...that was Monday and that is the one that made wifey upset :).

History shows:

HR34:
1 today
2 Monday (1 being HBO...not sure they change especially 8:15 a.m.)
1 Sunday
1 Friday (11/2)
1 Thursday (11/1)
1 Wednesday (10/31)
Software downloaded on 10/31
1 Tuesday (10/30)
1 Thursday (10/18)
First recording was on 10/12!

....still think it is a guide update?...I am not convinced.

Your saying you have had 9 recordings NOT RECORDED ?

Have you tried rebooting your recvr and see if that helps (thru the Menus, not the Red button)

Potentially a bad box, if it was something else, software d/l like you mentioned it would be happening on all the people that have that same software.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)