From "E" to "D" after nearly a decade!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blackhawks

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Chicago Norh Suburbs
After nearly a decade at "E", I finally jumped over to "D".

The picture appears a lot sharper on "D" then it did on "E" in HD & SD.

When I called "E" to cancel, their Loyalty Team said "You've been with DISH a longtime and are a customer in good standing, can we offer you some movie coupons"? Really, movie coupons to keep me? Give me a break!!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Welcome to D*. I left them after 12 years after they refused to fix a problem they caused, raised their receiver fees (I owned them all), and dropped the Disney suite. I like D*, but do miss some things with E*.

S~

After nearly a decade at "E", I finally jumped over to "D".

The picture appears a lot sharper on "D" then it did on "E" in HD & SD.

When I called "E" to cancel, their Loyalty Team said "You've been with DISH a longtime and are a customer in good standing, can we offer you some movie coupons"? Really, movie coupons to keep me? Give me a break!!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

welcome to directv. i hope you enjoy it. i agree that the HD is a little better on directv but disagree with the comment about the SD. SD on dish is way better in my opinion.but that's how my eyes see it :)

I'm curious to see how OP's comparisons turn out, as my contract is up with E* in July, and I am heavily leaning towards going over to D*. I live in the NY area and am tired of not having my RSN's anymore. I also really like sounds of the HR34 setup with the 5 tuners.

Blackhawks, what kind of setup did you go with?

I'm curious to see how OP's comparisons turn out, as my contract is up with E* in July, and I am heavily leaning towards going over to D*. I live in the NY area and am tired of not having my RSN's anymore. I also really like sounds of the HR34 setup with the 5 tuners.
The HR34 does have some minor bugs but honestly the 5 tuner capability lessens the blow of a minor bug :)
I have had the HR34 for 2+ weeks now and love it.

I wouldn't say 4x better. Maybe slightly better.
Don't harsh their buzz. If they can convince themselves they're happier, more power to them.

If someone bothered to measure, I suspect there would be a lot less crowing about who is better.

The HR34 does have some minor bugs but honestly the 5 tuner capability lessens the blow of a minor bug :)
I have had the HR34 for 2+ weeks now and love it.

Iceberg is direct better tha dish? I aim thinking of going to Direct tv sine on the surface the hopper/joey solution looks like yesterday tech while the hr35 seems to be today tech with weekly updates.

Plu I aim tried of getting the latest new thing from dish, like the 922 and still have issuse with the unit etc.

it really all depends on your setup and your choice of programs to record. I've posted this in the H/J threads there

I use to have 2 R22's (specialized HD DVR's) and a H23. Both R22's were in the living room so I had 4 tuners. I know some people are all giddy about the whole PTAT thing but for a lot of people its useless. I am one of them. Looking at my series timers for shows on the networks
3 fall within the PTAT (series)
1 falls within the PTAT but I record it as need be (Undercover Boss)
1 is a sporting event (NASCAR)
3 are either on CW or an Independent station or not during PTAT

The rest of my timers are on sat channels. The only "conflict" I use to have with locals was Tuesday night. The sat programs are on later that night so it was a moot point

So now we're back to raw tuners....5 vs 3
There are nights where 5 isnt enough and there can be a conflict.

Also the Joeys use one of the Hopper tuners. D*'s setup if you have 2 receivers on MRV (along with say the HR34) those receivers have their own tuners in them. So with a H/J setup if I'm recording PTAT and 2 other series there goes all my tuners. If I had a Joey in the computer room all I could watch it a recorded program or a recording program. With D* you would have an independent tuner to watch.

The other line that some Dish people will throw out if you think of leaving is the whole "missing 30 HD channels" which is bunk. Here is an updated list of basic HD channels E* has that D* doesnt
204 Headline News
230 DIY
232 The Cooking Channel
235 Style
236 E! Entertainment TV
238 Reelz Channel
246 Tru TV (Rumour is coming Wednesday)
253 Lifetime Movie Network
256 Turner Classic Movies
264 BBC America
271 History Channel 2
272 Logo
279 Oprah Winfrey Network
283 National Geographic Wild (SD available June 30th)
285 Investigation Discovery
310 G4 (SD removed November 1st)
330 Centric (HD only on DISH)
345 RFD TV
353 Bloomberg TV
404 Galavision
605 Sportsman Channel

While E* is missing the Disney stuff and some others
141 ESPN U
142 / 9494 ESPNews (Pulled 6/22/2010)
156 FUEL TV
172 / 9433 Disney EAST (Pulled 6/22/2010)
180 / 9434 ABC Family (Pulled 6/22/2010)
174 / 9449 Disney XD (Pulled 6/22/2010)
374 Smithsonian HD (Pulled 2/1/2009)
406 Fox Soccer Channel Plus (SD is offered a la carte)
xxx GolTV (Not on DISH in SD)

Is the HR34 rock solid? Hell no I'll admit that. There are some minor bugs. I know a few of them are related to the MRV but simple things. Since I dont have MRV (or any add'l receivers) I dont see those issues. The HR34 records what I tell it to and also the one big plus on all Directv DVR's is if you set a padding for run over and you have back to back shows it records the overlap and doesnt tie up a tuner. I posted a pic a week or so ago showing 6 (on the screen) things recording....it actually was 7 (due to the 2 minute overlap it records)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/272992-directv-hr34-home-media-center-15.html#post2786330

The reason I went with D* 2 years ago was simple
-my RSN in HD 24/7. With Target Field (Mpls) opening that year I wanted to see it in HD
-MLB Net (at the time Dish didnt carry it)

the only HD channel I wish I had is supposedly coming on the 7th (TruTV) so I'll be set

Nice post Iceberg. Very informative. I was wondering what HD channels E* had Vs D*, and I see that none of those really matter to me. Having my RSN's back will be awesome.(From the NY area) I actually thought that my contract wasn't up until November, but was pleasantly surprised to find out it is over come this July. I should be able to get in on D*'s Sunday ticket offer by that time.
I have enjoyed E*, other than them taking away all of my RSN's, and totally turning their back on NY area sports. The Hopper thing really doesn't appeal to me at all though. The fact that the Joey's use one of the tuners from the Hopper would mean nothing but conflicts in my home. To me the HR34 setup just seems so much better.

I went through and removed a number of off comment trolling posts.

To those that were trolling please consider this your warning and remember our rules on Trolling. I don't want to have to send some users on vacation.

Thanks.

A lot of it is personal for some people. But I chose DirecTV over Dish Network because of programming. This goes back to the end of the 1990s. So I have more than 10 years with DirecTV. But I think having an attitude of giving both a chance is not only fair but smart.

rapidturtle

There are some Premium channels that one has that the other doesnt but since most of the time we talk about "basic" channels thats what I put in there

Having your RSN in HD is great...no worrying about "will it be in HD"...or in your case "when the heck will it be even in SD?"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)