From hottie to passed out (almost) dead drunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you followed these things you would know better. Go shoot some buffalo. lol

you can play the what-if's all day long, but at the end of the day, In Illinois anyway, you are arrested, charged, and convicted if you are found intoxicated in the drivers seat of a motor vehicle, even if parked, especially if you have the vehicle running.

I am a police officer that works in a very rural county. I can honestly say I would say a 40% of the adult population are alcoholics (and I am being conservative). And do not mistake me for a guy that believes everyone that drinks is an alcoholic, as I drink as well. work in a very rural county. Here is how I handle the situation. If I get called to or find a person passed out in the drivers seat of a car, I will offer them a ride home. If they take it, I give it to them, If they don't, off to jail they go.

I could not in good conscience leave a person passed out drunk in an automobile. What if that person I left there woke up 5 minutes after I left and decided to drive home?

I know its the same in Michigan, a long ago friend was passed out in her car with the driver door open and her layin over into the passenger seat, cops pull up next to her and 5 mins later she's handcuffed and headed to jail for drunk driving even though the keys were in her pocket. She got a year suspended for it and there was no fighting it at all so she did the year and spent the next 5 paying high insurance rates.

To me its diserved, if your going to go out and drink then have a sober driver or get a taxi or stay over how ever your going to do it. When you drink you have a considerably greater potential to make stupid decisions and getting into your car to sleep it off may be your intention but maybe you start thinking your not to far from home or its cold and before you know it your driving home.

You can be charged with a lot of things. A conviction is a different matter. There was obviously no intent or ability to operate the vehicle. I doubt the judge would convict. I think her "inability" or disabled state(passed the f*ck out and the ability to drive was the same as if she had no keys at all) would negate the "in control" part of the law.

Not that I agree with it 100%, but in most states simply being in the car, while off the driveway (in the street, parking lot, etc) and having the keys in your possession, while intoxicated will be a virtual slam-dunk case. I have had two buddies have it happen to them while simply sleeping it off in the back seat after realizing they were in no shape to drive.

There was a news story early last year in st louis of a guy that got a dui for sleeping in a old camaro he had up on jack stands in the driveway... without wheels on it.
He slept in there because he came home drunk and his wife locked him out.
He started the car and ran the heater because it was cold.

Cops got called, and gave him a dui....

he couldnt have driven the thing it he wanted to, cause it had no wheels on it

i'll see if i can find a link to the story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts