from WDTV...to Seagate FAT+, to what now?

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
I decided to get the WDTV live and see what I can get out of it. I was happy with everything. Especially the youtube in HD ability. Now...the bad.

Logging into my Youtube account. When I did that, BAM...reboot. Not waiting around for an update from WD so I returned it to the Blue and Yellow store.

While at the Blue and Yellow store, I spotted the Seagate Free Agent Theater HD+ (We'll call it FAT+)

Brought it home....no login issues...but now....no HD on the youtube HD videos. A slight bit upset here.

So....as you know by now...I'm nitpicking but dangit...I want my Youtube in HD! SO....what do you suppose is my best bet? Wait for a FW update from Seagate for this? Or hope that WD gets a fix for it's live box on the youtube login reboot issue?

Thanks in advance as always!

I decided to get the WDTV live and see what I can get out of it. I was happy with everything. Especially the youtube in HD ability. Now...the bad.

Logging into my Youtube account. When I did that, BAM...reboot. Not waiting around for an update from WD so I returned it to the Blue and Yellow store.

While at the Blue and Yellow store, I spotted the Seagate Free Agent Theater HD+ (We'll call it FAT+)

Brought it home....no login issues...but now....no HD on the youtube HD videos. A slight bit upset here.

So....as you know by now...I'm nitpicking but dangit...I want my Youtube in HD! SO....what do you suppose is my best bet? Wait for a FW update from Seagate for this? Or hope that WD gets a fix for it's live box on the youtube login reboot issue?

Thanks in advance as always!

The WDTVLIVE only reboots on Youtube if you upgraded it's firmware from the original 1.01.00 version. The new firmware is buggier than the original. I've left mine on the original released firmware so far, and have no issues with Youtube. So, you could buy another one, and leave the original released firmware on it, or, there is a way to downgrade firmware if needs be.

I'm sure WD will eventually fix this bug, but nobody knows when, as they won't release any info or roadmap for firmware fixes etc. AVSFORUM has an extensive thread on this device, and is 144 pages long. Western Digital - WD TV Live Media Player (WDTV2) - AVS Forum

See this also, for a fix from WD themselves: http://tinyurl.com/yblumg5

Last edited:
That's good to know you have one on the original firmware and it operates with no problem. I may just return the Seagate and get my WDTV back.

(A fresh one mind you)

So...in essence...you are able to log in with no issues on the original firmware?

That's good to know you have one on the original firmware and it operates with no problem. I may just return the Seagate and get my WDTV back.

(A fresh one mind you)

So...in essence...you are able to log in with no issues on the original firmware?

Yes, I am able to log in with no problems using the original WD Live firmware.

I'm a pc tech, and I don't upgrade firmware for ANY device, unless I absolutely must! I've seen first-hand the HORRORS of failed firmware upgrades, and I'm not getting sucked in again, unless the BENEFIT absolutely outweighs the possible hassle of bricking my device, and having to ship it back and exchange it..

P.s. However, there's no way right now to disable firmware updates, so it prompts me every-time I turn on my Live unit, since it see's one through the internet. I just ignore it, but I wish I could turn that prompt off. IF you have other people in your house using this (if you buy another), better warn them NOT to upgrade!!

When I first plugged it in, the prompt came up. I clicked OK without thinking and there was that sinking feeling deep down. I knew I shouldn't have done it without playing around a bit 1st.

Returned the Seagate and got the WDTV live. It had version 11 firmware on it. 1.00.11.

I'm gonna create a fresh youtube account and see if maybe that solves it. If not, I'm downgrading to original firmware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)