Front panel USB ports causing problems?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I was having some problems with my 6 month old W7 64b PC, and with my iPhone. Most long running programs, such as malware detectors, would hang. Trying to sync the iPhone got a message to the effect "sync failed - iPhone has disconnected."

I suspected bad memory, but an overnight RAM test came clean with no errors.

I called Apple and it was suggested that I move the cable from the front panel connectors to the rear panel. Remember, front panel USB connectors have a cable that plugs into the motherboard. The rear panel connectors are soldered right on to the motherboard.

It actually worked. The iPhone sync'd. AND it did it in a very few seconds (5-10?), whereas it previously took at least a couple of minutes. So I moved the other two USB cables from the front to the rear panel. One to an EHD, the other to the wireless keyboard/mouse controller. EHD access became much faster. And I haven't noticed the occasional burp from mouse or keyboard since.

And SpyBot, AdAware, Norton 360 & backup programs all run just fine now. I don't see how the USB cables would affect them, especially if the EHD was powered down. But it seems to have.

Only oddity since was a nag message from MS saying I could get faster speeds by plugging into a different USB port. I'm pretty sure all the ports are 2.0.

Thought this bit of info might be useful to others.

Yep. Same experiance here. Had a buddy that refurbed another co workers iPod clasic. When he tried to restore he kept getting errors. He brought it to me, and I tried it on my work machine on the front USB sockets. Same errors. I thought crap, I use the front ports all the time with my iPhone, and to JB other phones. I thought WTH, i'll plug it into the back and let it charge for a while, at the same time freeing up my front ports for use while his charges. After about a 10 seconds my computer saw it, iTunes opened up, and was able to restore it. For some reasone, it would not sync on the front ports of mine or his machines. Back ones only.

He brought it to me, and I tried it on my work machine on the front USB sockets. Same errors.
I believe this has to do with the power supply to the front USB connectors.
That in turn can be affected either by the mobo USB connectors or front USB circuitry.

I have a few WD passports 500GB around.
A plain vanilla Q-Pack case won't see any of them when attached to the front USB.
Regardless of the power supply.

Same ports never fail to read USB flash...

Diogen.

Your motherboard may have a plug connection for extra power to the USB ports, it is not a common thing, but some motherboards have them.

Your motherboard may have a plug connection for extra power to the USB ports, it is not a common thing, but some motherboards have them.

was gonna mention that, but it really is kind of rare.

I've had so many issues with the usb headers for the front ports on systems so this is definately not a surprise to me.

Hmmm. Mobo at home is a P6T. Case has built in front panel USB ports, plus the memory card reader has a USB port - none work well w/iPhone.

But, I have a fix. Plug in to the rear ports, and just use the front for the odd dl off a thumb drive.

Thanks for the comments.

I have two USB ports on my monitor. There is a port on the back of the monitor that plugs into a USB port on the back of the tower that provides power/data path to the ports on the monitor USB ports. Those used to work with my iPhone, but now don't. They work with all my other USB stuff, just not my iPhone.

Never had that problem... only oddity I have with my USB ports is my wired USB headset seems really easy to shock which pisses me off because then i have to replug the thing.

Last edited:
I have two USB ports on my monitor. There is a port on the back of the monitor that plugs into a USB port on the back of the tower that provides power/data path to the ports on the monitor USB ports. Those used to work with my iPhone, but now don't. They work with all my other USB stuff, just not my iPhone.

I have had the same problem. Windows must have had an update that did something, because it used to work for me too. When I tried to hook up a laptop hdd to look at it, it just sat there and did nothing until I moved it down to the tower itself.

Did not know we could power them down. Another thing to look in to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)