Frustrated with Orby

GrummanDriver

Original poster
Apr 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Had Orby for 4 weeks now and I'm not happy with it. Every day a different channel has a lost signal. Not 1 day when every channel had a signal. Also can't record 1 OTA channel and watch a different OTA channel at the same time. Website says you can. Rep said it's a problem unique to Las Vegas. (I think he said that to keep me from returning the box. One day Channel 13 had no signal so I'm watching channel 3. Then I check channel 13 and I got a signal, go back to channel 3 no signal, just like that (in 10 seconds) channel 3 was gone, no signal. Connected cable for the Orby to the TV. Did channel scan and could get all the channels. Reconnected cable to Orby box, did channel scan, still can't get all the channels. On the channel with no signal the signal strength is the same as any other channel.
Sometimes when I'm watching a recorded show the no signal message pops up. Then I'll stop it ,resume playing and rewind and the no signal message doesn't pop up.
Orby_20190317 a.jpg

Your TV connected directly to the OTA antenna does not lose signal?

Maybe this will help
Solved: Re: Conflict between Orbi and digital TV antenna - NETGEAR Communities

Tampa, you are confusing your "Orbi's" This is the one you posted, it's a wifi router: Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

The OP is talking about "ORBY" which is a satellite tv system.

IMO, OP's problem is that the OTA tv antenna that Orby provided with his install, is too small for his needs. Perhaps his local stations are too weak and/or too far away. It's possible if he adds a small antenna preamp, it might make all the difference for him.

GrummanDriver, you might want to consider adding one of these to the tv antenna system on your Orby: Amazon product ASIN B003P92D9Y

Tampa, you are confusing your "Orbi's" This is the one you posted, it's a wifi router: Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

IMO, OP's problem is that the OTA tv antenna that Orby provided with his install, is too small for his needs. Perhaps his local stations are too weak and/or too far away. It's possible if he adds a small antenna preamp, it might make all the difference for him.

GrummanDriver, you might want to consider adding one of these to the tv antenna system on your Orby: Amazon product ASIN B003P92D9Y

I was going by this in the link..
"I have found interferrence between Orbi and my digital TV antenna. If the Orbi Satellite is too close to the TV, the tuner is stuck on one channel

I was going by this in the link..
"I have found interferrence between Orbi and my digital TV antenna. If the Orbi Satellite is too close to the TV, the tuner is stuck on one channel

Still confusing, but still wrong. This is the "Orbi satellite" that person is talking about. It's a mesh Wifi router: Orbi Satellites to extend WiFi Coverage | NETGEAR

Unfortunately, it's confusing because they picked nearly the same name, just spelled slightly different.

Reactions: Tampa8
Reactions: raoul5788 and N6BY
Sounds like the tv has a more sensitive tuner than the Orby tuner. The Orby OTA tuner is either getting overloaded or isn't as sensitive as the tv tuner. Probably would help to know how things are wired. Is the OTA line diplexed with the Sat line? Does the OTA line have any splitters in the chain or is a direct connection from the antenna?

I know my OTA signal jumps all over the place in our Condo in Vegas. I can reliably get a couple of stations with the antenna in one place and then lose them later without doing anything. I was close to dealing with the HOA to get an outdoor antenna put up, but then Cox made me a decent offer to bundle the lifeline basic locals service with our internet service and we've stayed with that the last couple of years, using a Tivo.

Sounds like the tv has a more sensitive tuner than the Orby tuner. The Orby OTA tuner is either getting overloaded or isn't as sensitive as the tv tuner. Probably would help to know how things are wired. Is the OTA line diplexed with the Sat line? Does the OTA line have any splitters in the chain or is a direct connection from the antenna?

I know my OTA signal jumps all over the place in our Condo in Vegas. I can reliably get a couple of stations with the antenna in one place and then lose them later without doing anything. I was close to dealing with the HOA to get an outdoor antenna put up, but then Cox made me a decent offer to bundle the lifeline basic locals service with our internet service and we've stayed with that the last couple of years, using a Tivo.
The OTA and Sat line are combined into one line outside. I tried using a splitter inside (one line to the TV the other to the box) but then I couldn't get the Sat channels. I bought an indoor antenna for the TV so we could watch the lost channel of the day.

I stated on the channel with no signal the signal strength is the same as any other channel. So I shouldn't have any problems. I believe it's because the box is defective.

Had Orby for 4 weeks now and I'm not happy with it. Every day a different channel has a lost signal. Not 1 day when every channel had a signal. Also can't record 1 OTA channel and watch a different OTA channel at the same time. Website says you can. Rep said it's a problem unique to Las Vegas. (I think he said that to keep me from returning the box. One day Channel 13 had no signal so I'm watching channel 3. Then I check channel 13 and I got a signal, go back to channel 3 no signal, just like that (in 10 seconds) channel 3 was gone, no signal. Connected cable for the Orby to the TV. Did channel scan and could get all the channels. Reconnected cable to Orby box, did channel scan, still can't get all the channels. On the channel with no signal the signal strength is the same as any other channel.
Sometimes when I'm watching a recorded show the no signal message pops up. Then I'll stop it ,resume playing and rewind and the no signal message doesn't pop up.
View attachment 138217
The pic is the no signal message I get when I'm watching a recorded show

Reactions: Tampa8
The OTA and Sat line are combined into one line outside. I tried using a splitter inside (one line to the TV the other to the box) but then I couldn't get the Sat channels. I bought an indoor antenna for the TV so we could watch the lost channel of the day.

If the lines are combined with a diplexer outside, then it needs a 2nd diplexer inside to split apart the combined satellite and OTA signals.

Also in case it needs saying, a diplexer is not a splitter.

View attachment 138217
If the lines are combined with a diplexer outside, then it needs a 2nd diplexer inside to split apart the combined satellite and OTA signals.

Also in case it needs saying, a diplexer is not a splitter.
If I use a diplexer inside then will the box receive the OTA signal? I'm guessing no. If that's true then I won't be able to record OTA shows. I don't see any other similar issues so I can only conclude the box is defective.

If I use a diplexer inside then will the box receive the OTA signal? I'm guessing no. If that's true then I won't be able to record OTA shows. I don't see any other similar issues so I can only conclude the box is defective.

You'd have to rediplex it before the box. I'd put money on the antenna needing to be adjusted before the box being bad. Does the Orby have an OTA signal meter?

The Orby receiver has a built in Diplexer, so you do have one in the house, it is inside the box. If you want to run a line to your TV set also from the same antenna, you will have to install a splitter before the outside diplexer. Then run a coax from there to your TV set.

You'd have to rediplex it before the box. I'd put money on the antenna needing to be adjusted before the box being bad. Does the Orby have an OTA signal meter?
I wrote "On the channel with no signal the signal strength is the same as any other channel." Yes it does have a meter.

I wrote "On the channel with no signal the signal strength is the same as any other channel." Yes it does have a meter.
View attachment 138217
Today I did a system reset and I'm getting all the channels, until I start recording channel 3. Then I tried to watch channel 5 while recording channel 3. No signal message. I stop recording channel 3 and try to watch channel 5 again, still no signal. Then I start recording channel 8 and try to watch channel 15, no signal. I stop recording channel 8 then try to watch channel 15. Again no signal on channel 15 but I could watch channel 5. It seams the reason I get the no signal message is because I tried to watch a different OTA channel while recording an OTA channel.

Is virtual channel number 5 on a different frequency as virtual channel number 3?

The STB has a single terrestrial tuner, so it isn't possible to watch/record two different channels unless they are transmitted on the same actual frequency (example is watching a sub channel while recording the main channel).

The rep rep Orby is bringing a new box on Monday. We'll see if the problem is resolved. If so then it was the box and not the antenna. i'm sure it's the box. It has 4 receivers, 2 for Satellite channels, numbered 1 and 2, and 2 for OTA channels, numbered 3 and 4. That way you can watch and record at the same time. Receiver number 4 never shows a signal. I have no problems when recording a Sat channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts