Frustrated with the AM-21 design

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aa9vi

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Well, I called up DirecTV to have a local channel added to the AM-21 lineup... weeks ago.
They are still dragging their feet. Is there a way to communicate via USB to add it into the receiver via hyperterminal or some other software? This isn't the first time I have had OTA issues with this box not carrying channels. They should have made the AM-21 have OTA scan, but I guess they weren't smart enough to build in this simple concept, which was in the H20.

Can anyone help? The station is already listed with Tribune Media. It's just a matter of D* being SLOOOOOOW (as usual) to update their database from Tribune.

What station are you talking about, and how did you find it was in Tribune's lists already? Generally DirecTV doesn't do anything, their list is just with the guide data from tribune.

WCIU 26-5. Tribune has been updated for 3 weeks +. DirecTV still lagging.

The AM-21 design without a channel scan is utterly idiotic. I find myself toggling between the AM21 and the TV receiver far too often to get channels the AM21 cannot tune (or should I say will not tune) due to DirecTV and not the signal strength.

How about an AM-22 with a channel scan feature? that would be nice.

I just got a call from my installer who is coming tomorrow. He just informed me the AM21 will not work with the dual HR24 setup I ordered. He said, "it will not work with the newer equipment."

This is coming as quite a shock to me at the last minute. Does anyone have more information concerning this? Not being able to pull in and record my local HD CBS would be a deal breaker.

Edit: Called D* they said the installer didn't know what he was talking about (great!) I called the installer and told him to just bring it and I'd deal with it (minus the installation charge.)

Last edited:
Yes, I have two AM21's and two HR24s, works fine.

As for the auto scan, I completely agree with you aa9vi, I can get channels from 4 DMAs on my OTA setup, actually 5 if you count the CBS from about 100 miles away that comes in good at night. That said, on my D* setup just two.

It sounds like the person who called me was misinformed. The good news is he is sending his "technician" (which means not him) to put the system in and he will bring all the equipment listed on my order. Being my bill includes "Off-Air Antenna With Installation" I am assuming he will be putting in an off air antenna (or do I need to provide that? I already have small omni on a side wall, but could use a directional higher up.)

Anyway, the fact that the AM21 can't scan or be forced input is quite a drawback being I can already guess it will be missing one of my small local channels and a Canadian channel I was hoping to get. You would think they could make it as simple as the Dish setup (where you can add a channel but if there is no guide data, there is no data.)

That said, I'll be happy to get this install behind me and everything just work.

bacchus
The AM21 cant get analog channels and I think the Canadian channels are all still analog unless you can get Montreal

bacchus
The AM21 cant get analog channels and I think the Canadian channels are all still analog unless you can get Montreal
I was just thinking about the future and CBAT which I think is supposed to go digital by August max (with the rest of the Canadian channels?) I know it is currently offered via cable in my area.

It was one of the three channels I grew up with (although under a different call sign at the time.) Gee, kids these days. Spoiled with 280+ channels of digital TV. :D

actually it looks like the CBC is trying to get approval to changeover those in 2012

On August 6, 2010, CBC/Radio-Canada announced that only its existing digital stations, along with both Alberta CBC originating stations plus all Radio-Canada originating stations in Quebec City and Moncton, would be DTV-ready in time for the August 2011 deadline. The remaining CBC/R-C originating O&O's were to be converted a year later in August 2012, subject to CRTC approval.

I have an AM21 working on an HR24.

I also agree that the AM21 should have scanning capability even if it means that it wouldn't have full guide descriptions.

As for the auto scan, I completely agree with you aa9vi, I can get channels from 4 DMAs on my OTA setup, actually 5 if you count the CBS from about 100 miles away that comes in good at night. That said, on my D* setup just two.
With two AM21s you could set each one to two different DMAs and cover your situation.

Have you set up your Secondary city location (zipcode ?). I get channels from Toledo as well as Detroit with my AM21.

My installer did not bring the AM21 and they will not install a rooftop antenna. They insist that the D* antenna setup doesn't work (sigh.)

Guess I am going to try to talk D* into sending me an AM21 (as I already have an antenna.) If not, I'm going to send it all back.

Last edited:
Could someone explain to me why they didn't add a channel scan and if there was no programming available, just write code to say "no programming available"

I am missing at least 3 local channels (WPVN, WOCK, WDCI) + their subchannels (WCIU 26-5).... from my local market.

Some full powered DT subchannels (WMVT) from an adjacent market have not existed for 6 months are listed. Someone is asleep at the wheel at D*. A channel scan would be a long-term fix to these issues.

My installer did not bring the AM21 and they will not install a rooftop antenna. They insist that the D* antenna setup doesn't work (sigh.)

Guess I am going to try to talk D* into sending me an AM21 (as I already have an antenna.) If not, I'm going to send it all back.

You can order the AM21 through your online d* account. it is about $55 after shipping, I think. I ordered mine and had it w/in 2 days.

You can order the AM21 through your online d* account. it is about $55 after shipping, I think. I ordered mine and had it w/in 2 days.

I ordered it from my account.

My install was a nightmare and customer service (which I just spent an hour on the phone with) was horrible, uniformed and unable to do anything (like for instance refund my credit card for the AM21 and Antenna I didn't get.)

I'm having serious regrets at this point...

I was about to order a AM21, glad I saw this thread.
Even though I get the Houston locals through D*, I have an OTA set-up for some low power locals but use my TV tuner to receive them, I wanted to get an AM21 so that I could DVR the locals and not have to switch back and forth between the receiver and TV tuner, now I'll wait since the AM21 can't channel scan.

Unfortunately you'll be waiting until kingdom come for D* to change the design. They knew this when it came out. I was actually verbally attacked on that other "homer/D* employee" forum for pointing this out. I wish they could just explain why they are doing things this way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts