Frustrated with the AM-21 design

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I ordered it from my account.

My install was a nightmare and customer service (which I just spent an hour on the phone with) was horrible, uniformed and unable to do anything (like for instance refund my credit card for the AM21 and Antenna I didn't get.)

I'm having serious regrets at this point...

I didn't even know Directv had an option for an antenna install, I guess I'm not suprised that got messed up. Usually the AM21 just gets shipped to you, I didn't think installers even carried those.

Have you set up your Secondary city location (zipcode ?). I get channels from Toledo as well as Detroit with my AM21.

Yeah, I get Grand Rapids via satellite, Lansing & Flint via OTA as I get the full assorment of those markets.

I can get part of Detroit, WDIV (NBC) WXYZ (ABC) WMYD (MY) WKBD (CW) WTVS (PBS). I don't keep Detroit in the receivers because I can't get FOX or CBS. I can also get WWTV CBS from Cadillac at night most nights.

The real advantage is the subchannels. I don't have much through the DVR, Flint/Lansing doesn't do any unique subchannels. GR has AntennaTV, ThisTV. Detroit has RTV. There are others but those ones stand out. I used to keep GR/Detroit in one of the DVRs but I always got confused as to what had what, it's easier to just keep it the same.

I like having the three complete markets for when weather hits. The lakeshore constantly has the winter weather warnings on screen, good to have alternatives with less obtrusive 'bugs'.

Usually the AM21 just gets shipped to you, I didn't think installers even carried those.

It would seem they don't have that information at DirecTV - which is what disappointed me. I didn't want an antenna install, but I was told to get the AM21 I had to have one. I had no choice. If I wanted OTA I had to follow these new DirecTV rules.

Now I just think that the call center is absolute chaos, no one has a clue and they are using post it notes to document my account.

That out of the way, I got credited for the install and AM21, ordered my own and everything is working great beyond that - so if I don't need to talk to anyone, anytime soon I should be a happy camper. ;)

I just got a call from my installer who is coming tomorrow. He just informed me the AM21 will not work with the dual HR24 setup I ordered. He said, "it will not work with the newer equipment."

This is coming as quite a shock to me at the last minute. Does anyone have more information concerning this? Not being able to pull in and record my local HD CBS would be a deal breaker.

Edit: Called D* they said the installer didn't know what he was talking about (great!) I called the installer and told him to just bring it and I'd deal with it (minus the installation charge.)

Yea that installer is crap.. I have two AM21's with both of my HR24's and they work great! I'm with you on the WCIU thing though. Missing This, although fortunately I can get it via other means.

That out of the way, I got credited for the install and AM21, ordered my own and everything is working great beyond that - so if I don't need to talk to anyone, anytime soon I should be a happy camper. ;)

glad to hear it. Set up is pretty easy. Unplug the power cord from the receiver and plug it into the AM21. Hook the USB cable from the AM21 to the receiver. Plug the jumper power cord from the AM21 to the receiver.
Receiver boots up and should ask you after it goes through all the reboot stuff if you want to set up OTA. Plug in zip and OK. If no secondary market near you say done and it downloads the guide.

I was about to order a AM21, glad I saw this thread.
Even though I get the Houston locals through D*, I have an OTA set-up for some low power locals but use my TV tuner to receive them, I wanted to get an AM21 so that I could DVR the locals and not have to switch back and forth between the receiver and TV tuner, now I'll wait since the AM21 can't channel scan.

Same here I am in DFW and wanted to record OTA subs as well, RTV and Antenna TV and hopefully MeTV someday. Sellout woot had a Tivo Premeire refurb on for 59.00 today so I bought one and see how it does.

It is Tribune media. IE zap2it.com. If you go there and type in your zip code it will show you what is available in your area. BUT if Tribune and DTV are not on the same page the AM21 guide will not show certain channels.

glad to hear it. Set up is pretty easy. Unplug the power cord from the receiver and plug it into the AM21. Hook the USB cable from the AM21 to the receiver. Plug the jumper power cord from the AM21 to the receiver.
Receiver boots up and should ask you after it goes through all the reboot stuff if you want to set up OTA. Plug in zip and OK. If no secondary market near you say done and it downloads the guide.
I did just that and am satisfied. I picked up the sub-channels. I had no idea that the AM21 did not scan, I just figured it did just like my converter boxes.

It does do some type of scanning because it won't load the locals if it is not seeing the signal. I know this first hand when trying to get an antenna aimed properly and having some bad coax. It only fetched channels and added to the guide the ones that it saw the OTA signal. Once the antenna was aimed and coax fixed, rescanning or whatever then loaded all the local channels.

badtlc said:
It does do some type of scanning because it won't load the locals if it is not seeing the signal. I know this first hand when trying to get an antenna aimed properly and having some bad coax. It only fetched channels and added to the guide the ones that it saw the OTA signal. Once the antenna was aimed and coax fixed, rescanning or whatever then loaded all the local channels.

Actually, what it scans for is based on your zip code input, then it takes your input and searches the D* database. This is why you won't get sub channels as they are not in the D* database.

Actually, what it scans for is based on your zip code input, then it takes your input and searches the D* database. This is why you won't get sub channels as they are not in the D* database.

I don't think you completely read my post. I had sub channels that wouldn't appear until the AM21 actually saw the OTA signal. It would only pull the guide info for the OTA channels it saw the signal. Once it saw the OTA signal for the other channels, it then pulled guide info for those additional channels. So, yes, they are obviously in the D* database.

I have a different problem with my AM21. It lists some channels that I can't get. I have one antenna feeding 3 digital tv's and the only one that doesn't get the channel is the AM21. To make matters even more comfusing the missing channels are only 3.2 and 7.2. Both 3.1 and 7.1 are fine! Since the sub-channels are part of the same data stream and the primary channels, the problem has to be in the AM21.

I have a different problem with my AM21. It lists some channels that I can't get. I have one antenna feeding 3 digital tv's and the only one that doesn't get the channel is the AM21. To make matters even more comfusing the missing channels are only 3.2 and 7.2. Both 3.1 and 7.1 are fine! Since the sub-channels are part of the same data stream and the primary channels, the problem has to be in the AM21.

I would do some basic trouble shooting just to make sure. If one of the other digital TVs is small enough, move it to that location and see if it still gets all the channels. Check the signal strength at both locations. The AM21 might not handle weak signals as well as the TVs.

I don't think you completely read my post. I had sub channels that wouldn't appear until the AM21 actually saw the OTA signal. It would only pull the guide info for the OTA channels it saw the signal. Once it saw the OTA signal for the other channels, it then pulled guide info for those additional channels. So, yes, they are obviously in the D* database.

sorry but thats wrong. I've got 11 channels that are not in the AM21 guide
-5 low powered TBN mux
-5 low powered EWTN mux
-The Country Network which is the 3rd subchannel on the CW station. TheCoolTv which is the 2nd subchannel shows up. D* has not added it yet. And I have a great signal ;)

It takes the info from the D* database as Jimbo noted.

On a side note, the Minneapolis DMA is HUGE and there are about 20 channels that are in other parts of the DMA that I cannot see in Minneapolis yet it shows in the AM21. I have to remove them from the list
-a 4 channel PBS mux, a CBS and ABC in West Central MN
-a 6 channel PBS mux and a CBS in Northern MN
-a 6 channel PBS mux in Central MN
-a ABC in South Central MN

as for the databse, you can plug any zip in there and see what channels it will load. I did that the toher day to verify for a new D* sub what locals show up on the AM21 in his area.

Again, people must not know how to read lately. I totally agree the AM21 pulls info from the D* database. My point was ONLY that the AM21 does do some type of scanning because it will only pull down guide info during setup for channels it can see the OTA signal. I have verified this several times in different ways. It is not a fully scanning setup where all information is just pulled OTA, but it doesn't just pull all the channels down that are associated with a zipcode only the channels associated to that zipcode that it is actually seeing the signal.

I would disagree with you on the AM21 scanning badtlc. I have found the same thing Iceberg does, that some DMAs have stations in them that I can't get OTA, not even a blip, nothing, way too far, yet they are in my guide/channel list because they belong to the DMA the zip code I entered is in.

Again, people must not know how to read lately.
I know how to read perfectly...again you are wrong

I totally agree the AM21 pulls info from the D* database. My point was ONLY that the AM21 does do some type of scanning because it will only pull down guide info during setup for channels it can see the OTA signal. I have verified this several times in different ways. It is not a fully scanning setup where all information is just pulled OTA, but it doesn't just pull all the channels down that are associated with a zipcode only the channels associated to that zipcode that it is actually seeing the signal.

WRONG! When you put in a zip it says "your market is the ______________________" market. If you live in a market that has a huge area it will show stations that are considered your market but you may not get. I've already given you examples above. Also the other day for fun I verified something for bacchus who just got D* and is awaiting his AM21. I plugged in the zip code for his area in Maine (I'm in Minnesota) and it showed the locals in his market. No way in hell I can get them in MN.

I'll take pics of my guide but right now I'm recording some stuff so I can't but if you're bored go into your AM21 and plug in zip 55402...Minneapolis MN. It will show a bunch of channels. But for argument I'll post them what they show
2-1 through 2-4
4-1
5-1 and 5-2

7-1
9-1 and 9-2
9-1 through 9-6
10-1 through 10-4
11-1 and 11-2
12-1
22-1 through 22-6
23-1 and 23-2
29-1 and 29-2
41-1 through 41-3

42-1
43-1
45-1 and 45-2

Bolded are stations I can get and are based in Minneapolis.
4,7,12 are all the same CBS station but for different parts of the DMA
5,42,43 are all ABC but different parts of the DMA

hell we even got 2 9's in the market..9-1 in Minneapolis is Fox and 9-1 about 200 miles north in Bemidji is PBS. So when I set up my locals I have to select the right "9" and I still have to figure out a way to remove the "other" 9-1 & 9-2...favorites take care of it :)

Believe me...I wish I could scan with the AM21...then I could get 23-3 on the AM21 ;)

oh and I even included a pic with the stations the AM21 pics up in my market, where the towers are and an approx coverage area for the Mpls stations

Attachments

• Minneapolis.gif
    Minneapolis.gif
    39.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts