FTA ain't wha it used to be

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smata67

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
I'm a casual FTAer, hispasat on the weekends for ETB and Galicia to keep up with my spanish. RTPA was a big loss. Other than that, I don't see a single thing on FTA (ku band) that is worth the trouble. Am I just missing something?

I guess it depends where you are and what your looking for, here in the backwoods we only have 2 snowy channels OTA which we will probably loss next year when we go digital and dial up internet, so FTA is pretty much it unless you enjoying paying one of the providers for a bunch of channels you won't watch to get one you will.
If you must have the major networks most are still available on C band.

Sports Feeds ! For me , and playing with the hardware, that's the lure. ( Because I love those things SO MUCH, I can even put up with the bad jokes that sometimes cross this forum ! :) )
:)

Where I live there is no cable, internet is dialup at least for now, so that leaves FTA... I don't see FTA as not worth the trouble. I have 50 + channels I watch with at least some regularity, and in my opiniion, they are good enough that I rarely watch OTA. Seeing what others pay for, I am very happy with what we have for just the cost of the equipment. Sorry if your FTA experience isn't similar. I'm making no accusations or implications here: just an observation, but I'll bet there are a lot of people who used to get D* or E* "FTA" or "free" who think FTA isn't what it used to be. If I lived where there was cable and HS internet, I would still watch FTA, I enjoy it that much.
ss

Last edited:
I'm a casual FTAer, hispasat on the weekends for ETB and Galicia to keep up with my spanish. RTPA was a big loss. Other than that, I don't see a single thing on FTA (ku band) that is worth the trouble. Am I just missing something?
If you want programming in spanish and sports feeds, then C Band is the way to go, at SatMex satellites i get between 130 and 150 channels.

Cheers

Mike

I have free to air from rtp portugal are availble from 1990 and from 1990 to now never payd one centime to see tv from usa canada spain portugal mexico brasil all sout america from europe arabe countries japan china sout corea etc.I no english portugues french and spanich and to see sometimes dont need to no the language I like free to air I see from so many counties not only from nort america I like .Spanich channels all lover from spain sout americ t12 from uruguay from colombia portugal brazil Hispainsat from spain cuba colombia satmax5 +6 from mexico and soud america intelsat 58 and 55.5 from mexico brazil columbia china sout corea portugal etc .english 95 99 103 etc univizion telefutura telemundo ntn24 noticias tv frence 24 noticias just need good receivers and good lnbs and dischs.I love free to air and dont need to subs for sommething free on the air like rtp spt and brazil chanels for the cust of $40 bucks for one ments for four channels If you leave on the farme out of the city or have one big lote c band the best need updatte sometimes yes but good investement.I no for englhis channels better on the old days but for channels from out of usa and canada better now.

While there might not be "as much" as there use to be (like when Equity left) there still is some good stuff out there :)

I like hearing news in English from China, Russia and Iran as well as from Al Jazeera which seems to have a Western perspective. That is what got me interested and I don't anticipate ever losing these channels.

While there might not be "as much" as there use to be (like when Equity left) there still is some good stuff out there :)
It's an ever-changing landscape. But, in my view, as long as we can get world news from perspectives other than our own outlets, which seem to put more effort in covering the escapades of the Hollywood elite and "entertainment", is well worth it. (STOP-Rant deleted)

Smata, if you can pick up an AZbox Receiver, scan in Satellite 99.0W on KU Band. Adding to Cxgy's comments, the HD channels - especially on HDnet on 99.0W are amazingly clear and detailed, and the colour is spectacular!

Sorry for my earlier- now deleted - post. I did not realize the channel I mentioned wasn't on the SatGuys List. I guess the good ones are left off (;

With RTN gone and my favorite spanish channel out of commission, I've basically been left with little reason to dedicate any time to FTA. I hope things change. Too much competition for my viewing time from FIOS and I just ordered the Roku for streaming Netflix. I think this chapter is closing, at least for me.

I think hotel/motels killed that. I remember growing up almost all of them had a C band dish. Cable companies got tired of them "stealing" their programming. Funny, since they were the ones putting it up there for free.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts