FTA and Media Center PC

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Milkman38

Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
I currently have a DirecTV system working well with a Media Center PC and a wireless extender (and I love it.) My days are numbered though, I live in Canada and have had my systems running flawlessly for 12 years( long story), but I think they may be on to me so I better get ready to switch !!

I am just starting to learn about FTA systems and my biggest question is this: Will a FTA system fully function with a Media Center PC? Being a newbie to FTA my main concerns are as follows:

1) Will my Media Center PC control FTA satellite recvr(s) like it does my DTV ones now? (Uses IR controls and video feeds into a Hauppage tuner card in PC) Its a kickass PVR system.
2) Will I be able to use the program guide feature of Media Center at all ?
3) Will my Linksys Media Center extender work with any kind of FTA system? Or just certain ones?

Basically, will anything I have setup now be usable or will I be starting over?
Do I need to find a program that will replace Media Center?
Specific hardware? Software?

I've read just about anything and everything I could find on the subject but I don't think too many people have a true Media Center in their home and if they do, they probably aren't reading this post. They probably live in the US and are enjoying their DirecTV system like I do.

I would appreciate any advice. If anyone has a FTA system working with a Media Center PC I REALLY want to hear from them.

Marc

Status
Please reply by conversation.