FTA and Media Center PC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Milkman38

Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
I currently have a DirecTV system working well with a Media Center PC and a wireless extender (and I love it.) My days are numbered though, I live in Canada and have had my systems running flawlessly for 12 years( long story), but I think they may be on to me so I better get ready to switch !!

I am just starting to learn about FTA systems and my biggest question is this: Will a FTA system fully function with a Media Center PC? Being a newbie to FTA my main concerns are as follows:

1) Will my Media Center PC control FTA satellite recvr(s) like it does my DTV ones now? (Uses IR controls and video feeds into a Hauppage tuner card in PC) Its a kickass PVR system.
2) Will I be able to use the program guide feature of Media Center at all ?
3) Will my Linksys Media Center extender work with any kind of FTA system? Or just certain ones?

Basically, will anything I have setup now be usable or will I be starting over?
Do I need to find a program that will replace Media Center?
Specific hardware? Software?

I've read just about anything and everything I could find on the subject but I don't think too many people have a true Media Center in their home and if they do, they probably aren't reading this post. They probably live in the US and are enjoying their DirecTV system like I do.

I would appreciate any advice. If anyone has a FTA system working with a Media Center PC I REALLY want to hear from them.

Marc

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts