Status
Please reply by conversation.

snathanb

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 26, 2004
DFW
Ok... we are having our first rain since I installed my system last week, and I am seeing some odd stuff.

1st... rain seems to affect the satellites differently...
a) I'm seeing no noticable signal loss on AMC 4
b) I'm seeing slight to annoying signal fade on G10
c) I'm see NO signal on T5 (my True South Bird)

2nd: On the circular side....

I get very strong signal on 110 for NASA (or did yesterday, like 95% signal quality), but it keeps dropping out in the rain. Oddly enough, it still comes in fine on my regular dishnet box ( on a separate 18in dish).

I thought I would get better signal on my 1meter dish than the 18 pizza pan, but I am seeing the opposite.....

Sorry... determined I had a connection that was not well sealed... took care of it.

It might be that the meter disk is deeper, or it has a finicky LNB, or there's a tree that becomes a problem when it rains that is in the way of the big one but not the little one.. might also be that because you're using an FTA LNB over a DBS one, where DBS would be better suited for that bird..

Excuse my sillyness ;)

I have a DBS LNB strapped next to the Ku one.

Trees? What's that? I live in Dallas... no trees in these here parts.

I just added the DBS LNB yesterday, and didn't seal the coax. Water had penetrated the connection and was causing the problems.

All solved... back to 99% signal strength on NASA TV.

Oh yeah, and all those free music channels you keep talking about ;)

Did any water penetrate down into the cable itself? I would replace that connection, because if any did, over time it will degrade the line.

Maybe a pro will jump in here: will a few shots of WD40 dissipate the water to avoid replacement?

WD40 works good
Silicone or there is some stuff that you can get at the rat shack...cable sealant...that stuff works good, but is a pain to remove

I use dielectric grease in all outdoor connections, never had a bad one since I started using it!

Ah, good idea with the dielectric grease. I've got that around as I use it on electrical connections under the hood of my jetskis.

Also, G10 was wacky this weekend as there were HUGE storms in Arkansas
11719 was out for a while and 11799 was down near 30 on Saturday

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts