FTA equipment store(s) in the Bay Area

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sahitra

Original poster
Jun 29, 2009
CA
Hi folks,
I am new to this FTA thing. I am looking for FTA equipment stores in the Bay Area.
I need a 30" dish and KU LNB.
Also, if someone can share the list of the channels I can get with this antenna I'd appreciate it.

Thank you

Hi folks,
I am new to this FTA thing. I am looking for FTA equipment stores in the Bay Area.
I need a 30" dish and KU LNB.
Also, if someone can share the list of the channels I can get with this antenna I'd appreciate it.

Thank you

One of our sponsors, SatelliteAV is in Roseville, CA.
Satellite AV - Free to Air Satellite Equipment Distributors - Fortec Star, GEOSATpro, Glorystar - SatelliteAV, LLC.

One of my favorite FTA lists is here;
http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

And here;
SatelliteGuys.US - TheList

Where in the Bay Area are you

TRG mentioned SatelliteAV in Roseville which is a good store :up, but quite a distance "200 miles round trip" driving from San Francisco, but they do ship. If your right in San Francisco, a closer shop, but never really bought anything from them. is Microtech Satellite in Milpitas. Milpitas is in the east bay,
they seem to carry most of the major popular brands in FTA gear.

There used to be a shop in China Town San Francisco, but don't recall the name anymore, they sold computer gear and FTA gear. They used be in one of those shady side streets, but they were there for a long time, used to buy hard drives from them.

If your in the S. Bay, check Criagslist in the SF BayArea, this will give you an indication of who's who out there with FTA gear and shops in the area. If you can, go to th shop to buy your equipment that way you know your dealing with a real shop rather then buying stuff online over the phone and giving some dude your credit card number.

the Microtech ... are they don't know what they are selling, check a page of 118/119 combo LNBF, there are a lot of conflicting data:
SPECS

* Polarization: Circular
* Input Frequency: 11.70 - 12.75 GHz
* LO Frequency: 10.750 GHz
* Noise: 0.3 dB
* Dual-output (ready for 1 or 2 receivers)

SETUP INSTRUCTIONS

Using a 30-inch or larger dish, aim with the following settings:

* Satellite Name: 118°W (Anik F3) or 119°W (Echo7)
* LNB Type: Standard (or Single) :confused:
* LO Frequency: 10750 or 10600 MHz :confused:

Finally, do an AUTO SCAN or a BLIND SCAN

For some the following settings may work better or give you more channels:

* LNB Type: Universal :confused:
* LO Frequency: 9750 MHz :confused:
* HI Frequency: 11250 MHz :confused:

Yeaa, like I said I don't endorse Microtech, but they do have a store front you can visit, not knocking my fellow Asian brothers, but most of these shops in the SF Bay Area are either Vietnamese or Chinese owned, and they sometimes translate the language barrier issue to the web sites I've noticed. It might have been a mistake with the numbers. Just visit the store I’m sure you will find what you’re looking for.

Thank you all for the useful information.
Since I am a newbie to this, I thought it might be better to go to a store and talk to someone instead of ordering something online that might not be the thing I need.
Thanks again.

Thank you all for the useful information.
Since I am a newbie to this, I thought it might be better to go to a store and talk to someone instead of ordering something online that might not be the thing I need.
Thanks again.

The local stores barely have anything worth your time, IMHO. If you want to get a good dish, get the SatelliteAV 36" deal off eBay. The local stores are selling 36" dishes for $75+ and the SatelliteAV dish is much nicer. I know you said 30" but really you should just get a 36". :)

You can pick up used receivers like the Coolsat 6000 pretty easily for $30 at the local stores. You just have to make sure they are not clones.

Besides Microtech there is "tully satellite" and "newstar wireless" in the area. I got a couple used receivers from newstar and a 36" dish (without LNB) for an ok price. I still think you're better off ordering from a sponsor.

If you post what you want to order we can help you get the right stuff. If you go into the local stores they are mostly selling equipment of a Dish Network flavor and you might end up with something that doesn't work that well for FTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts