FTA HD Receivers Summary

Status
Please reply by conversation.
part of the problem as you aleviated to is not just the extra cost of hardware (camera's editing equipemnt, etc) is that HD takes more bandwidth. most satellite companies reselling space on their birds charge not by the channel but by bandwidth.

makes sense, the lowe the bandwidth the more channels they can sell. when an HD chanel takes 3x+ bandwidth they have to charge you 3x more.

It is amazing how (relatively) little HD content is out there. When you look at OTA locals, usually the HD programming occurs only during prime time (or in the morning hours). Having recently installed an OTA DTV antenna, I was surprised by how hard it was, especially during off hours, to actually find HD content. PBS, it seems, has the most (and the most interesting, IMO)...

This reason (lack of HD channels) is the main reason for me waiting to buy a HD receiver that will get :

HD
4:2:2
has blind scan.

Until that I will stick with my PC for the few HD channels and feeds out there.

I hope the Fortec Passion will deliver this.

Labgate

I would really was hoping to get the New Patsat 9000HD
But it has no blind scan on it and I think it would a tad harder to find stations..
But the Coolsat I am thinking maybe now that they might have the BLIND SCAN software INSTALLED and not having to download it.......
Prices were droping in the Coolsats last time i looked a few weeks ago....
I guess there is not much coming out soon..........Just wonder whats the big deal in pansat having a blindscan,how could they have forgot?JohnnyT

Fortec Star Passion HD....

I am just now getting into FTA (due to HD receivers) and had an opportunity to play around with a co-workers Neusat 9000HD receiver the past week. It was an ok receiver, but nothing to write home about. Anyway, I just did a little research and noticed the Fortec Star Passion HD receiver. Does anyone know when this receivers in going to be released in the US market...and at what price?

Also, has anyone else used the Neusat 9000HD?

Last edited:
lol

well I tell ya this sonicview is going onto ebay as soon as that fortec is released. my mercury II is one of the nicest ird's Ive ever owned, I cant wait for another fortec ird to hit the market.

If even most of the claims surrounding the Fortec Passion prove to be true, that will be the box worth waiting for.

Price is going to be a consideration, but I think most of us here value features such as blind scan, 4:2:2, etc. enough to lay the money on the table.

It seems that the perfect box doesn't yet exist. Yes details are sketchy on most, but IMO it must have:

DVB-S2 (MPEG4 for FTA)
PVR (SATA preferred, USB2 tolerated)
Blind scan

If such a box existed, i would have already ordered it :) None of the announced models have all of the above.

BTW, since this is my first post, a big thank you to all of the forum members. Your posts helped me set up my 90cm Fortec, Coolsat 6000, and DG2100 with a minimum of problems.

This forum rocks!

hwboy4

It seems that the perfect box doesn't yet exist. Yes details are sketchy on most, but IMO it must have:

DVB-S2 (MPEG4 for FTA)
PVR (SATA preferred, USB2 tolerated)
Blind scan

If such a box existed, i would have already ordered it :) None of the announced models have all of the above.

BTW, since this is my first post, a big thank you to all of the forum members. Your posts helped me set up my 90cm Fortec, Coolsat 6000, and DG2100 with a minimum of problems.

This forum rocks!

hwboy4
Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, hwboy4. :)

If such a box existed, I would have a hard time ordering just one. :D

The Fortec Passion is now selling for £149 ($300) in the UK. Still no sign of a release of a 4:2:2 or blindscan enabled firmware from Fortecstar however.

h**p://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99265&TabID=1&source=1&doy=11m7

The Fortec Passion is now selling for £149 ($300) in the UK. Still no sign of a release of a 4:2:2 or blindscan enabled firmware from Fortecstar however.

h**p://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99265&TabID=1&source=1&doy=11m7

£50 ($100) approx shipping to US.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts