FTA HD setup suggestions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thbjr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I am currently running a 2 room SD system purchased through Glorystar pointed at G-19. I would like to know if
A: 2 of my favorite channels, 3ABN and Aljazeera, both of which I believe are available in HD, have their HD feeds on G-19?
B: If so, can I just add a HD receiver to my 30" dish, or should I upgrade the entire system to a 36" dish?
C: Will the 2 line LNB I currently have work?
D: If the HD feeds are not coming from G-19, or even if they are, should I just scrap the whole system and get a motorized 36" 2 room HD system?
I'm moving into a newer home in mid May and will have to in essence start from scratch anyway at the new place, soooo. It also has a HOA, the first time I've had to deal with that, but from what I've read on the Glorystar website, federal law (FCC) allows up to a 39" dish.
E: So with all that in mind, suggestion, including recommending new complete HD systems (fixed or motorized) would be appreciated. (I've been reading about the AzBox, is that a good HD reciever?) :D
Tom

I am not aware that those two channels are available in HD . That's my ignorance, but we'll have to wait and see whether someone more knowledge on them shows up. If they WERE available on G19, all you'd need would be an HD compatible receiver to bring them in ( unless of course , a larger dish was required ) . Wait and see, I guess.
:)

3ABN and AJE are NOT in HD on G19 Ku. Not anywhere over North America on Ku, really. I have no idea whether they're available in HD on C-band.

Generally speaking, a motorized system is a good idea.
However, it's a large challenge for a beginner.
Since you already have a basic system, moving up to motorized won't be quite the big hurdle.

Of course with multiple receivers, where you park the dish determines what all receivers will be able to access.
If that's a problem, maybe a couple of fixed dishes might be attractive.
Read through the Switches Simplified FAQ.
You'll see some some ideas that work... even for multiple dishes & receivers.

Well, this post started by HDRoberts titled List of HD Channels Not Available on Dish Network: Version 3 could of course be incorrect, but I don't think so.
HD Channels Available Not on Dish Network Not Carried in SD, if available – 11 Channels
ABC News Now HD
Al Jazeera English HD
Live Well HD
MLB Network HD
Smithsonian Channel HD
TCT Network HD
TV One HD
Universal Sports HD
Vatican TV HD
Wealth TV HD
The Weather Cast HD
Not carried on Dish – 33 Channels (Editorial comment: I doubt some of these niche channels will ever happen)
*-Indicates SD version exists
29 HD Network
3ABN Latino HD
Africa Channel HD*
Black TV News Channel HD
Blue Highways TV HD*
CNN International HD*
ComedyNet HD
Fight Network HD
Fox Sports en Espanol HD*
Gol TV HD *
Gospel Music Channel HD *
I-Life TV HD
ION Life HD*
Italian American Network HD
JCTV HD *
Jewish Life TV HD
Mun2 TV HD
Pursuit Channel HD
Qubo HD*
S|Sports TV HD
Si TV HD
Smile of a Child TV HD
SoapNet HD
Sonbeam Channel HD
Soundtrack Channel HD
Sprout HD
TBN Enlace HD
The Church Channel HD
Three Angels Broadcasting Network HD (is on Dish SD channel 9393)
TV Games Network HD
Veria TV HD
Wine Network HD
Worship Network HD*

So with this info, can someone with more expertise than me, which is just about all of you LOL, find out if these channels (3ABN and Aljezeera) are available in HD on G-19 and if not, which satellite they can be viewed from?
Thanks so much for your help and advice.
Tom

3ABN and AJE International are not available in HD on G19 or on any satellite. We are not aware of any plans to transition or add an HD version of either channel in the foreseeable future.

Both channels are acquired in HD, but are transmitted only in SD.

Last edited:
Both channels are acquired in HD, but are transmitted only in SD.
So in simple terms that I understand, are you saying that they are sending a HD signal up to the satellite, but a SD signal is coming back down?
Thanks for helping me figure this out.

No, these stations shoot in HD, but only playout and transmit in SD from the studios to the satellite.

These channels are not available anywhere in HD.

Thanks so much for your help, Brian! So the only FTA HD channels are the PBS channels on AMC 21? That's all I see on a "master channel list" here, at FTAlist.com

Brian, (or anyone else for that matter) Does anyone maintain a HD list for all FTA C and KU?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts