FTA Heaven

Status
Please reply by conversation.

photoman76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
Last December I got a free 10 foot Echostar dish to replace my 7 1/2 foot KTI dish. I had been having trouble locking many DVB-S2 signals with the 7 1/2 foot dish. I had been trying to peak the 10 foot dish for months to get the DVB-S2 signals with limited success. Ku on the 10 foot dish was crappy compared to the 7 1/2 foot dish. No matter what I did, I couldn't improve ku reception. As a result, I tried improving the ku reception on my 90 cm Fortec dish by installing a new Ivacom lnbf. I recently got a Prof 7500 to replace my TT S2-3200 DVB-S2 tuner. Now DVB-S2 reception on the 90 cm Fortec is excellent. Since I no longer needed Ku on the big dish, I removed the corotor and replaced it with the polarotor Cband only feed that came with the 10 foot dish. Lo and behold, DVB-S2 signals now come in fine. By peaking for ku on the big dish, I was underilluminating the dish and Cband performance was being compromised. I had no idea that was happening. For DVB signals, it made no difference, but for DVB-S2 it made all the difference in the world. I'm now in FTA heaven. If there is such a place.

One of the reasons I leave ku off my 12 foot is because there is always a trade off. I'm a purist, c band on one dish ku on another. It's probably from what I learned dxing OTA tv as a kid. Use a VHF antenna for 2-13 and a UHF antenna for 14-83. That way you get the most performance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)