FTA is a fun hobby

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATisfied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Lineboro, MD
I just wanted to share a little bit of the enjoyment I get from this hobby. I started out almost 5 years ago from a google search on "free satellite tv" which led me to fta receivers and stb reviews, which ultimately landed me here on Satelliteguys web forum. At the time I was only getting ota tv (before everything went digital), and lousy reception. I thought there must be something better. I read Iceberg's review on the Captive Works cw600s reciever ( which was mostly favorable at the time) and picked up one from ebay, a dish & lnb from Sadoun as a birthday present from my wife, whom I had talked into the idea of free satellite tv.

After setting up the dish & motor and actually picking up channels, I was hooked. I loved being able to move to different sats and scan for channels. I wasn't really happy with the channel selection, and discovered I was missing out on a lot of them because I didn't have the right lnb ( mine was a universal ), and my Captive Works cw600s stb didn't have blind scan. I made do with what I had for a few years, then eventually got an Invacom lnb, and a second hand Coolsat 5000 at a very reasonable price on ebay. Long story short, as most fta'ers will attest....this is definately a hobby. The most fun for me is to find new sats and blind scan and see whats out there. I just recently discovered Hispasat @ 30W and blind scanned in a slew of new channels. Even though most are in foreign languages, there are still some with decent programming.....and with the nature of fta broadcasting, you lose some and you find some. Over all after 5 years into this hobby, I still love it. I'm planning on eventually getting an HD tv and an HD stb. I just want to thank all of you here on this site who have shared your knowledge, experience, and enthusiasm for this hobby. I'm continually learning new info every day even though I don't post much on here. I appreciate a forum where everyone is respected and no question is considered stupid, and how the moderator(s) doesn't allow this forum to become a flame throwers convention. Thanks again to all who make this a great forum!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)