FTA Newb...needing some advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyweed

Original poster
May 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Hi guys. Ok..we subscribe to dishnetwork, but would like to add more channels to our lineup..so I want to put up an FTA system. I installed my dishnetwork satellite myself, so I figure I can do the FTA one as well.

I just am not sure what equipment I need exactly. I went and typed in my address to get available satellites, and this is the info the site gave me:

Satellite name: 91W Galaxy 17
(G-17)/NIMIQ 1/ NIMIQ 2
Elevation 39.3 degrees
Azimuth (true) 179.7
Azimuth (magn) 180.7
LNB skew: -0.2

My lattitude is: 43.9661 degrees
Longitude is: -91.1912 degrees

So....is all I can really get is one satellite feed? is that what this is telling me? I was thinking of getting a motorized dish..so I could get multiple sat's..but is that out of the question?

Basically I want to get as many channels as possible. Also, I need a HD receiver as my tv's are all HD sets. a DVR would be nice too, but not totally necessary, and I'd like a receiver that does the autoscan "thingy" too.

If you guys could help me out with some thoughts and advice I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks
Dan

Welcome Dan,

The information that you provided is for locating the satellite that is directly south of your location. This is a starting point to know when installing a motorized dish.

With a motorized dish and a clear sky you should be able to receive dozens of satellites and hundreds of channels that are transmitted in the clear without encryption. You will receive many suggestions for the type of receiver, but make sure that you purchase a quality dish that is at least 90cm/36" and a good stable LNBF.

All the satellites are located in an arc, from the ESE to the WSW horizons, with the highest point being directly south of you. (the one you looked up, ~40 degrees elevation) If you have clear sky, along this arc, should be good.
like to add more channels to our lineup..-- Basically I want to get as many channels as possible
Have you checked The List to see if what you're looking for is available? And, on what satellite band? C band will require a minimum of a 6ft dish(Larger preferred), where Ku works well with a good 36 inch dish. Also, bear in mind, FTA is more of a hobby in N.A., than a source for 24/7 scheduled programming, although there is quite a bit that is on a schedule.

thanks for the info so far. Yeah I realize is is really more of a hobby..but that's ok..I just enjoy channel surfing and see what is on..no big deal.

So looks like I need a 36 inch dish, LNB, mounting hardware (of course)...and receiver....so next question is..can you guys reccomend a dish, lnb and receiver? I want a receiver that will receive HD..and also control the motor of the dish, and "autoscan" feature or "rescan" whatever it's called.

Can you point me to any setups online, or possibly good deals on FLEABAY?

oh..almost forgot...is there a dishpointer app for Ipod touch? I have read about them for Iphone..but not sure if they are out there for the Ipod touch...or if they are any good at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)