FTA newbie question on SuperDish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

charleszhang

Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Hi, I'm totally new to FTA. I read lot of helpful articles on FTA. But I still need your assistance. I have a SuperDish that is aimed already. Is it correct that I just need to use the FSS without re-aiming to my receiver to do blind scanning (as Iceberg suggested)? So I just disconenct the other one on the dish and conect FSS to the switch directly? Thanks!

Do you have a 105W Superdish or a 121W Superdish?

You can connect the FSS LNB to a FTA receiver and blind scan without re-aiming the dish, but I don't think there's too much FTA on 121W. 105W may have more interesting fare, if you have the 105W model of the Superdish.

You'll probably be happier, in either case, if you move the dish to another satellite.

Right. There are virtually no unscrambled signals on 105W and 121W Ku. The only reason for looking at those two satellites is to confirm your system is working. You need to re-aim the dish.

Thanks for all your replies! Please forgive a newbie's ignorance :) How do I check it's 105 or 121? And if I re-aim it, how do I point to 97w ku?

Thanks for all your replies! Please forgive a newbie's ignorance :) How do I check it's 105 or 121? And if I re-aim it, how do I point to 97w ku?

Basically, a 121 Superdish has what appears to be one "eye" in the center of the LNB assembly, but in reality, this is two feedhorns very close to each other (one for 119W and the other for 121W). The "eyes" on a 105 Superdish are further apart. If you could post some pictures, that will help us identify which dish you have.

As for repointing the dish, 97W is East of both 105W and 121W. Dishpointer.com should help you get an idea of what you're dealing with.

...There is plenty of fta on 97w ku
If you are not into viewing religious programming, or trying to learn a foreign language, 97W Ku hasn't got a lot for repeated viewing. There are less than half a dozen stations worth watching of the hundreds available that one may want to view on an ongoing basis. I do like sometimes just surfing to see what's on there for novelty purposes. You sure need a motor on Ku these days. Just my opinion.

This Superdish will be the teaser appetizer for FTA. Save your money for a 36" dish, Ku lnbf & motor. Learn to aim a fixed dish first, then on to motorized dishes. You'll be richer for the experience. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)