fta receiver to stay away from?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

camsanchezz

Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Shelby township mi
I'm about to install about five new FTA systems for family members, and I was wondering what FTA receivers to stay away from. Plus, I would like to know if there is extra channels you can pay for in FTA world? What is the top three Sat. to tap into?

Thanks from the newbie :)

:welcome to Satellite Guys!

"Top 3 Satellites" - that's tough to answer. It all comes down to what types of programming you want to watch.

If you're looking for International programming then 97 West Ku is a fantastic bird.

If you're looking for Spanish programming, then 30 West Ku is great too!

If you want to watch PBS, then either 63 or 125 West are good.

Are you looking for News/Sports/Documentaries? What types of shows do you want?

How much are you willing to spend on a receiver? Do you want/need Hi Def capabilities?

If you are looking for the best value, then go for a C band dish
with an AZBox HD receiver, that will blind scan

You can add a DSR 410, 920, or 922 to purchase programming if you like...It's about half the price as Dish. If you're thinking of ordering programming. I would sure do some research on receivers, because you can by a bad one...My first I bought was a DSR920...The internal battery was dead, so the entire receiver was a dud:mad: In the mean time I ordered another LNBF & put up a second dish, just to find that the seller had lied about the receiver...

I started off with a 36" motorized & it quickly grew to my old 10' again

I have been satisfied with the free BUD (Big Ugly Dish) channels I get.

stay away from anything nfusion

#1 satellite =30w for Cuban channels and Kuwait2(lots of english stuff on both)
unless your into ice truckers or pawn shops then 101w
83w for Retrotv

check craigslist/kijiji/thriftstores for Coolsat or Pansats(or to a lesser degree Viewsats or Sonicview)
good cheap receiverss abandoned by hackers but good for starting out in FTA. Best to start out cheap than buy all new latest-and-greatest. FTA might not be for you. Get your feet wet with a $20 receiver and a salvaged dish. If you do upgrade, then you can give your relatives your handmedowns

Last edited:
I was wondering what FTA receivers to stay away from

Sadly there is some junk out there...if you're going with an older reciever unless its Coolsat, Pansat or Fortec I'd stay away. Check out some of the signatures folks have. That usually helps show what receivers we believe in :)
and since my sig is different for right now...here is what mine normally says
Winegard 76cm dish, SG2100 motor, Sadoun dual KU LNB/DirecTv dual..... Directv Phase III.... Fortec 6 foot dish with GeoSatPro dual C-Band LNB aimed at 99W... GeoSatPro 36" dish, SG2100 motor, Sadoun dual LNB
Coolsat 5000 on motorized....AZBox HD Elite on 99,motorized....Viacast DSR1500 on 99....GeoSatPro DSR200c on 2nd motorized.... Directv R22 & R15 DVR on 101/119W.... Pansat 1500 to aim dishes.... few receivers not set up yet
Other 6 foot Fortec dish with GeoSatPro dual C-Band LNB "ghetto moved" to various C-Band satellites
Third 6 foot Sadoun dish with GeoSatPro Prime Focus KU LNB on it for maximum rain fade combatting

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts