Please reply by conversation.

Sadie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Nova Scotia
Nov 16, 2010 8:01 AM
FreeHD Canada Delays Launch Date

FreeHD Canada Inc., a new Canadian satellite television venture, says it will reschedule its launch date to the first quarter of 2012.

The announcement was made during an appearance before the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission at hearings today reviewing the Direct-to-Home satellite distribution policy.

FreeHD Canada had hoped to be launched and ready to assist Canadians through the Over-the-Air Digital transition occurring in August 2011 - however, it says finding sufficient satellite capacity for its HD-rich programming line-up became a concern when several satellite fleet operators experienced unexpected loss of satellite capacity.

"We are very optimistic we can secure enough satellite capacity to allow us to provide consumers and programmers in Canada with the most HD channels" said David Lewis, Chairman and CEO of FreeHD Canada. "We know that Canadians are excited about our service, and the wait will definitely be worth it."

Delaying the launch of FreeHD Canada until 2012 will not negatively affect FreeHD Canada's business plan, particularly since certain Canadian broadcasters have indicated that they too may delay their transition to over-the-Air digital transmission in rural markets until 2012.

"There is new satellite capacity becoming available in late 2011 and early 2012," commented Brian Olsen, FreeHD Canada's President and COO. "At launch, FreeHD Canada will still have the most complete local channel lineup, and will deliver the most compelling HD solution."

FreeHD Canada says ....................

Mediacaster Magazine - Broadband & Content - FreeHD Canada Delays Launch Date

Thanks Sadie.I wonder why all the naysayers aren't jumping all over this venture.

Well, I would assume that the fact that FreeHD had to apply to the CRTC for a license that would allow the company to operate a national DTH satellite television service gives it a bit more legitimacy than FreeDBS, which wasn't vetted by the FCC (or anyone).

Thanks Sadie.I wonder why all the naysayers aren't jumping all over this venture.

Obviously, this FreeHD Canada thing is bogus and will never come to pass...I mean, goodness gracious, it's been over a YEAR, and now, they're talking ANOTHER whole YEAR! No way there could EVER be anything come of it! :)

Moderators, this is plainly a thread that's all about ridiculous speculation. Shouldn't we close it down? LOL.

The are some significant differences.

This is clearly a for profit enterprise.

The individual running the enterprise claims to have significant experience with satellite broadcast start ups, judging by the way he successfully navigated the CRTC licenses procedure it looks like this might be true.

He is keeping his cards close to his chest, Bell and Shaw took him seriously enough to announce their own FreeSat proposals although not much has been heard of these recently (this was also partially an attempt to influence another CRTC ruling)

He claims to have access to funding although in this investment environment nothing can be taken for granted

He has probably identified a need, all those new HDTVs looking for a signal, something that Bell and Shaw have trouble with adapting to with their old technology base. The quality of existing so called HD signals is sadly lacking.

If the information is correct his biggest problem is finding satellite space with suitable Canadian beams
Does anybody know how much transponder space you would need to put up the 60-100 channels he is talking about using the latest technology and have a picture quality significantly better than Bell or Shaw HD?

im wondering how long it would take just to develop a reciever from scratch. im thinking 60-100 channels would equal probly 6 chans per tp max. so 10 to 16 tps. maybe more. its probly not just a turnkey operation. the same with freedbs. all the people trashing these upstarts should try and launch their own services and leave these threads to positive information and found facts.

crackt out,.

all the people trashing these upstarts should try and launch their own services and leave these threads to positive information and found facts.

:clap

Best comment on the subject yet

Yea,Crackt knows more about what he's talking about.The guy starting FreeHDCanada has been involved in Star Choice's launch as well as others in North America.He owns 91% of the shares while his wife holds the balance.
FreeDBS has it's license.I checked it and posted it a couple weeks ago.There are some immature comments that are clearly eroneous.

Keith Brannen said:
FreeDBS has what license? You appear to be implying it has a broadcasting license or permit from the FCC (which it doesn't).

I believe he means business license

I believe he means business license

I'm sure he does, but a business registration is not the same as going before the CRTC (or FCC, if companies have to do that in the US) to obtain a license to operate a national DTH satellite television service. Huge difference in standards and legitimacy. So I stand by my original statement.

I'm sure he does, but a business registration is not the same as going before the CRTC (or FCC, if companies have to do that in the US) to obtain a license to operate a national DTH satellite television service. Huge difference in standards and legitimacy. So I stand by my original statement.

If they were going to launch their own satellite then yes they (FreeDBS) would need to get that license from the FCC. If they are gonna piggeyback on an existing sat then they wouldn't need to.

I think there would be a much brighter future for FTA in Canada and CBC if CBC stopped paying NDS (owned by Permira of Europe and indirectly through News Corp by Rupert of planet Murdoch) to protect its signal from the those who have already paid handsomely for the content and distribution. Canadians pay in excess of a billion non-voluntary dollars a year for CBC to promote Canadian culture. In return those outside the OTA reception area can't access it legally without paying a for-big-profit carrier (e.g. Bell, Shaw) to deliver it. While it could be argued paying Bell way too much money is as Canadian as culture gets, it is still not reasonable (OK, it's government...forget reasonable; paying Bell yet more money can't be justified). After a few email exchanges with CBC and the CRTC I was left with the impression CRTC would be willing to hear arguments for change. I do not live near Ottawa so could not do the bidding but a group with members in advantageous locations could get the job done. (I might recommend to get started before the next election.)

There is a hurdle - the same select few who own the television distribution systems also own much of the media, Internet, telephony and other incidentals (think large country, small oligarchy) and have at least one ear of a politician or two. It would get about as much coverage as the last visit from the Prince of Andromeda. On the other hand if CBC was available others might follow.

oh to have the CBC available on FTA

I remember CBC being FTA back in the analog C-Band days, and even in the early days of the ExpressVu service, CBC was in the clear. It boggles my mind as to why their signals are allowed to scramble. Anybody who has Bell or Starchoice systems gets multiple CBC feeds. There really are no territorial restrictions on Bell and Starchoice in regards to the CBC feeds that they provide to all of their customers. I get CBC from Vancouver, Winnipeg, Toronto, etc. I think that the C-Band feeds should be opened up into the clear so that I don't need to pay Bell to get these channels that I've already subsidized with my tax dollars.

Didn't they used to have a "locals only" package for $5 a month on Expressvu? now the cheapest package is $30

Give shaw and Bell an ultimatum. offer CBC in the clear or at cost or no HNIC for their viewers

jwwbrennan

I think there would be a much brighter future for FTA in Canada and CBC if CBC stopped paying NDS (owned by Permira of Europe and indirectly through News Corp by Rupert of planet Murdoch) to protect its signal from the those who have already paid handsomely for the content and distribution. Canadians pay in excess of a billion non-voluntary dollars a year for CBC to promote Canadian culture. In return those outside the OTA reception area can't access it legally without paying a for-big-profit carrier (e.g. Bell, Shaw) to deliver it. While it could be argued paying Bell way too much money is as Canadian as culture gets, it is still not reasonable (OK, it's government...forget reasonable; paying Bell yet more money can't be justified). After a few email exchanges with CBC and the CRTC I was left with the impression CRTC would be willing to hear arguments for change. I do not live near Ottawa so could not do the bidding but a group with members in advantageous locations could get the job done. (I might recommend to get started before the next election.)

I remember CBC being FTA back in the analog C-Band days, and even in the early days of the ExpressVu service, CBC was in the clear. It boggles my mind as to why their signals are allowed to scramble. Anybody who has Bell or Starchoice systems gets multiple CBC feeds. There really are no territorial restrictions on Bell and Starchoice in regards to the CBC feeds that they provide to all of their customers. I get CBC from Vancouver, Winnipeg, Toronto, etc. I think that the C-Band feeds should be opened up into the clear so that I don't need to pay Bell to get these channels that I've already subsidized with my tax dollars.

These are exactly the kind of comments that should be sent to the Minister responsible
The Minister of Canadian Heritage
James Moore at moorej@parl.gc.ca

Be sure to send a copy to Prime Minister Stephen Harper at pm@pm.gc.ca

I have done this on other issues numerous times, very occasionally you get a sensible reply. However all MPs employ people who count the number of emails they get on a subject, if they get enough they will notice the subject, they may still ignore it but they will notice.
If your really lucky and your points are in sympathy with one of their objectives you may get action.
Unless these people and the CRTC here about your concerns the chances for any changes are slim to none.

On a related subject the Canadian conversion to digital OTA TV scheduled for August 2011 looks to be a real mess with none of the broadcasters saying they will be able to meet the date in the compulsory markets with populations over 300,000. Rural Canadians are going to be out of luck although a few over 180km from the border may get their analogue transmitters left on a bit longer if applications for extensions are successful.
In our area all of Nova Scotia outside of Halifax will lose OTA TV after the conversion date.

These two maps show the coverage for all of Canada before and after the conversion. This means I'll be paying for CBC TV and be unable to receive it as will most Canadians outside a major city.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts