FTA Remote Codes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

txsgent

Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
I know that most Universal remote controls do not have listed FTA remote control codes. But has anyone managed to make any universal remotes, inexpensive ones that is.. work with any of their FTA's such as Fortec, Pansat, Coolsat? I would really like to get some codes for each of these receivers. I have searched and searched, but having no luck, can't imagine with as many FTA's are out there, that they have not been included in Universal Remote codes. All help and info would be appreciated..I am looking for codes. Not to buy your remote control... I have these remote controls already... Phillips Universal Consolidator PM725S, Radio Shack 4 in 1 Kameleon 15-2144, and 8 in 1 15-2116, I have a Sony Commander RM-VL600, I have a One For All URC4021W, I have a Time Warner URC-1047, I have a G-E Universal Remote RM241912/RM24921, there has to be a code somewhere for one of those remotes to work with FTA, don't you think? People who have figured out how to make a Universal work, it would be nice to list the remote and the code that worked with it... I read in one post, where a person was going to do that, but all I read was excuses of why they hadn't done it, but that they were working on it.. everything from the remote broke to the hard drive was messed up. So please lets just post remote controls that work and the codes that work with them and not flood this post with non essential information. :hungry: :D :hatsoff:

You have two choices for a cheap universal remote that will work with your FTA receivers:

1- A learning remote, such as one in the new line from One For All, such as the 6820, 8820, or 10820 (all at or under $20). There are undoudtedly similar devices from Philips, RCA, GE, etc. You would have to teach it every button, of course. But, OFA also has an upgrade hotline, which often has simple one-step upgrades for obscure devices.

2- A JP1-capable remote from OFA or Radio Shack. These are older models that conform to the JP1 standard. You use software and a special cable to customize your remote from your PC. Many people have created the upgrade files for all sorts of non-mainstream devices like FTA receivers. You just open the file in RemoteMaster, customize the function keys for your remote, and use the IR program to upload to your remote!

For more info about JP!, check out the JP1 forums: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

Thanks for the info, appreciate it... I have tried my 3 learning devices, but didn't have any luck with any of them.. even went into a dark room to make sure other light was not interfering with it.. That was why I was hoping to see some inexpensive remotes with codes. Maybe I will try giving OFA a call and seeing what they have for options too.. thanks lots...

I have OFA URC 8901 it works with Coolsat very well. Just a phone call they update the required codes... you may have to teach few more keys manually...

Last edited:
The folks at One For All are very fast in responding to code requests. In my case it took them almost no time to tell me that they couldn't find any reference material for my FTA receiver. They gave some suggestions and asked if my receiver was known by another name. If you have a "name brand" receiver I'd ask them.

My Radio Shack 15-2116 (discontinued) controls a Panasonic LCD TV, Hitachi LCD projector, Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder, Comcast DVR, Denon AV receiver, Coolsat 5000, and Neusat SP6000, all programmed using RemoteMaster 1.63 and IR 6.20 and a parallel JP1 cable.

I also use a 2117 (IR/RF) in the master bedroom to control both the bedroom gear AND the Comcast DVR in the LR which also feeds the bedroom, programmed the same way.

I've been playing with OFA URC-6131 and URC-8910/9910 models. The 6131 has the best layout for PVR functionality. But, it is small, has small buttons, only 6 devices, and is not backlit which makes it hard to see in a dark HT environment.

The 8910(IR) and 9910(RF) are large like the 2116/2117, and backlit as well. They also have more keys, and thus more functionality than the 2116/2117. But, the text is a little small, and the keys are not laid out as well for DVR functionality as the 6131. (The 6131 also needs to be modified to work with JP1, and as such needs to be purchased from special dealers.)

I highly recommend JP1-capable remotes for anyone looking for a cheap, fully programmable, universal remote solution. But, if you have the money, the Logitech Harmony remotes are very nice, as are some of the Pronto solutions. If money is no object, look into Crestron or AMX.

Remote code trouble

This is a repeat post as I posted it in the wrong area.

I'm a new member and came in search of info. Pretty green at forums too so bear with, please. I just received a Traxis 1500 NIB and it didn't come with a remote. My experience with satellite systems is as follows: zip, zero, zilch, uh-uh, nope, nada, :confused:, Dish Network. I have been searching the web but can't find the remote code so I can program a universal. Can anyone help?
Also, I have been reading some posts and they talk about a motor to install on it. It has a disc (something, something)1.2. Will a motor work on this model and if so about how much do they cost. I live in a high wind area and it may be helpful.

I have an older OFA 3220 but says it does satellites. The OFA site does not list Traxis receivers. Thanks.

C Band Analog?

What's the chances that any of these remotes will work for an older analog receiver. I have several older receivers (Drake, HTS) that I would like to use. Not even looking for complete functionality, just the ability to change channels would be great...

Missing Remote

Welcome friend, I don't mean any disrespect but it sounds like you have a lot to learn but be patient, I've learned a lot from reading posts.

I assume from what you wrote, the NIB, meaning, "new in box" should have come with a remote. I have a Taxis 1500 also and it came with a remote. If it's a new receiver then contact the retailer and get a replacement for the missing remote.

A motor is for a dish of course regardless of the type of switches you use for your set up, a Diseqc 1.2 switch is the style of one of many switches which are used to couple 2 or more dishes/LNBF's to one cable/one receiver.

There are a few motors to consider, it depends on the size and weight of the dish and the diameter of the dish mounting clamp, there's many factors to consider when shopping for a motor so do your homework. Motors can cost from about $65 to $150 roughly. And if you live in a high wind area as I am, you'd be better off adding fixed dishes to the set up rather than a motor. My dishes are located on the back side of my roof and down slope where they are mostly shielded from the winds.

My motorized 90cm dish is greatly affected by the winds here, I get winds up to 65 mph but not often thank God! When the winds are calm, the motor is a great addition but very hard to set up and program for a novice. It took me weeks to figure it out and get mine working but I spent a lot of time doing it too. You first need to learn about the terms and principals of satellites before plundging too deep. Take your time and study, you'll be rewarded in the end, I always say; "patience has it's rewards!"

Do a search on "satellite glossary" and get familiar with terms and components and don't stop there. There is a lot of valuable info on this site if you take the time and read. Hope this helps shed a little light.

Gather and learn as much information about your set up first before considering adding stuff because you may end up buying things you don't need or won't work for your application.

Good luck friend :hatsoff:

This is a repeat post as I posted it in the wrong area.

I'm a new member and came in search of info. Pretty green at forums too so bear with, please. I just received a Traxis 1500 NIB and it didn't come with a remote. My experience with satellite systems is as follows: zip, zero, zilch, uh-uh, nope, nada, :confused:, Dish Network. I have been searching the web but can't find the remote code so I can program a universal. Can anyone help?
Also, I have been reading some posts and they talk about a motor to install on it. It has a disc (something, something)1.2. Will a motor work on this model and if so about how much do they cost. I live in a high wind area and it may be helpful.

I have an older OFA 3220 but says it does satellites. The OFA site does not list Traxis receivers. Thanks.

With the understanding you are looking for a cost effective solution, I wanted to add that you would have to pry my Logitech Harmony 880 from my cold dead hands to get rid of it. It MSP for well nearly $300 but there have been recent sales on refurbished one for about $100. Have you heard of them? They are VERY intellegent. The device is meant to be connected to the internet via your computer to logitech.com and you specify what devices you're using- their database appears VERY comprehensive. They even knew all the commands of my new Coolsat 8000HD receiver.

The remote makes the operation of multiple components simultaneously effortless.

I know that most Universal remote controls do not have listed FTA remote control codes. But has anyone managed to make any universal remotes, inexpensive ones that is.. work with any of their FTA's such as Fortec, Pansat, Coolsat? I would really like to get some codes for each of these receivers. I have searched and searched, but having no luck, can't imagine with as many FTA's are out there, that they have not been included in Universal Remote codes. All help and info would be appreciated..I am looking for codes. Not to buy your remote control... I have these remote controls already... Phillips Universal Consolidator PM725S, Radio Shack 4 in 1 Kameleon 15-2144, and 8 in 1 15-2116, I have a Sony Commander RM-VL600, I have a One For All URC4021W, I have a Time Warner URC-1047, I have a G-E Universal Remote RM241912/RM24921, there has to be a code somewhere for one of those remotes to work with FTA, don't you think? People who have figured out how to make a Universal work, it would be nice to list the remote and the code that worked with it... I read in one post, where a person was going to do that, but all I read was excuses of why they hadn't done it, but that they were working on it.. everything from the remote broke to the hard drive was messed up. So please lets just post remote controls that work and the codes that work with them and not flood this post with non essential information. :hungry: :D :hatsoff:

I bought some cheapo remote off of ebay as a supplement to my pansat's remote. Cost was about 10 bucks. I don't know all the details, but the remotes are cheap and look good, so I think it's possible to use universal like those, whatever they are... the remote that came with the pansat itself is a pos - got dropped a few times on floor and is really slow.. have to wait like 1-2 seconds between each new command, even if command is just to flip channel up or volume up or down a notch.... if you go before that time frame it'll lock it up and battery has to be taken out before it'll go again. The replacement remote is way better. I keep the original remote by the sofa I'm usually on and my wife keeps the new one by her recliner...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)