FTA Scanning

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sony1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Need a FTA receiver for scanning. Which one to get and why?

Speed is the primary reason for the receiver.

Any advise?

:welcomeWelcome to the site

Coolsat 5000/6000 makes a good blind scan receiver, SD only tho.
Have heard traxis is fast as well.

Are you looking for hd or sd ?

Both HD & SD
The listed receivers will "scan" both SD & HD, they just can't view them. The bigger question may be "DVB-S2 Blind Scan Receiver"
The Vantage 1100s is an HD DVB-S2 Blind Scan unit, it's slow and expensive
The Pansat 9200 w/ DVB-S2 Add-On card is an HD DVB-S2 Blind Scan unit, but expensive
The Sathawk 800PVR (Solomend) is an HD DVB-S2 Blind Scan unit, it's cheap, but the Menus / Firmware is a disaster so far
Sonicview 8000 is an HD DVB-S only Blind Scan
Then the untested AZBox Premium "Plus" model, HD DVB-S2 Blind Scan

do you want fast or thorough?

Plenty on the market that are "fast" but they dont pick up anything on a scan ;)

Lak7 pretty much hit the nail on the head with the HD receivers that can blind scan

honestly...despite its quirks the Sathawk for both SD & HD
otherwise the GeoSatPro 200 for SD viewing only. I have one here and still have a review to put up. The blind scan isnt as fast as the Coolsat on "quick" but is VERY thorough. Snuffs out stuff that most receivers don't. Real good on the adjacent TP's....what I mean is when they are 4 or 5 MHZ off and you get a string of them like 12024, 12028, 12032, 12036, 12040. Snuffs all them out where the Coolsat will skip

honestly...despite its quirks the Sathawk for both SD & HD
otherwise the GeoSatPro 200 for SD viewing only. I have one here and still have a review to put up. The blind scan isnt as fast as the Coolsat on "quick" but is VERY thorough. Snuffs out stuff that most receivers don't. Real good on the adjacent TP's....what I mean is when they are 4 or 5 MHZ off and you get a string of them like 12024, 12028, 12032, 12036, 12040. Snuffs all them out where the Coolsat will skip

I want get an HD receiver, but not sure AZbox or Sathawk. the first is kind of
pricey. are you happy the Sathawk

The azbox scan is useless on the elite and premium.
The premium plus claims blind scan that actually works

Now that the motor quirk is fixed the Sathawk works great for blind scanning both DVB & S2. It found TP's that the Coolsat on detail missed. Sure it doesnt do 4:2:2 but that is what the azbox is for right now. Motor function is bang on for both USALS and Diseqc 1.2

The three quirks and one nuisance right now are
-AC-3 will only work through coaxial output
-some HD feeds it wont play right...st-st-stutters. But they are few and far between right now
-cant use any switch with motor. So I can't use my 22k switch for KU & DBS with the motor...but other receivers on the market are like that too.

nuisance...remote buttons are very clunky

The azbox scan is useless on the elite and premium.
The premium plus claims blind scan that actually works

Now that the motor quirk is fixed the Sathawk works great for blind scanning both DVB & S2. It found TP's that the Coolsat on detail missed. Sure it doesnt do 4:2:2 but that is what the azbox is for right now. Motor function is bang on for both USALS and Diseqc 1.2

The three quirks and one nuisance right now are
-AC-3 will only work through coaxial output
-some HD feeds it wont play right...st-st-stutters. But they are few and far between right now
-cant use any switch with motor. So I can't use my 22k switch for KU & DBS with the motor...but other receivers on the market are like that too.

nuisance...remote buttons are very clunky
so will work with my sg2100, that is a concern for me .

The Sathawk?

yep. Thats what I have it hooked up to....by the way I need to change my signature now ;)
(there...fixed...put Sathawk on main system)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)