FTA Setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimmythejeweler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
MI
Wow I have done alot of reading on the FTA systems am am now very intersted in getting a setup and tinkering around to see what's out there for free. I enjoy messing with things and this whole satelite thing has sparked my intrest. So my question is what is the best equiptment to get? I currently am subscribed to Directv and enjoy it but these news feeds intrest me. I hear alot about the pansat etc. What size dish do I need and what lnb's? Thanks in advance for all your input. Is there a FYI/Newbe guid to FTA?

We have not got around to a FYI/Newbie guide yet, good idea.
Most people start out with a 30" dish, I recommend the Winegard dish rather than the slightly cheaper Hotdish, it just makes life easier : ) You will need a standard Ku band LNBF or a universal ku band LNBF for a wider frequency range, if you get a universal its a good idea to get a standard at the same time as you (or installer with meter) may need one to point the dish, As for the motor the most popular model must be the SG2100 it can be added at any time to a system as long as the receiver is DiSEqC 1.2 compatible, a blind/smart search is really a must these days especially if you want to keep up with all the news feeds as they come and go.
I would say the two most popular receivers right now that really "do it all" are the Pansat2500 and the Satwork 3688, the Pansat has the USALS function but other than that its a personal preference and value for money issue, the software on both of them can be upgraded if needed.
The news feeds make it worth it alone make sure you get set up before the big convention next week, the feeds will be jumping, hope this helps a bit I am sure the other guys will chip in too......

Ok so if I get the receiver and the 30inch dish what lnb's are needed just one and then motorize the dish? Sorry I am way new at this. Thanks!

I would say a standard Ku band LNB, you can upgrade to a universal Ku LNBF at any time, but a standard is whats needed if you are going to use a signal meter to point the dish, you can also just use the receiver as long as you can see the TV from the dish location!

Any brand you recomend on the universal Ku LNBF? Also I will just need one RG6 for the LNBF and one for the motor correct? Thanks again PSB!

No problem I enjoy this, its like anything else the more money you spend on the LNB the better, I have the "Eurostar and DMSI universal Ku LNBF" You are right about the RG6 cable, one cable from receiver to motor then a short cable from motor to LNBF.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts