turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Found this info earlier, interesting. Had not heard of this going on in CA:
FtaLegalRight » Home

Seems the govt got a bit high-handed with this dealer, or maybe more than
one fta dealer, who claimed to be clean.

Found this info earlier, interesting. Had not heard of this going on in CA:
FtaLegalRight » Home

Seems the govt got a bit high-handed with this dealer, or maybe more than
one fta dealer, who claimed to be clean.

Don't know how "clean" this dealer is or not, but the site is only his version of events, and on the page "Facts in detail" the part about the owner showing him the google search on FTA BUZZ definitely sends up a red flag with me.

I haven't read all of it yet Keith, just throwing it out there for others who might not have heard about it. The fact that the govt sent somebody to his store 3 or more times, begging him to sell an fta box, then begging him to either hack it or show them how to do it, is what caught my attention. I know there's always more than one side to an story though. Sounds a bit extreme to me though, that it is illegal to even point a dish at a US dbs satellite.

It's not illegal here in Canada to point a dish/LNB at a US DBS satellite (although, I bet Dish Network would like it to be!). Only the theft of signal and the so-called "grey market" is prohibited.

I didn't know, that did sound a little bit strange, but then, Ive read what some other Canadians have posted about the CFRTC, or whatever its called up there, and there doesn't seem to be a very good overall opinion about the regulation of tv recept up there. I hope to hearhow it all turns out though, would be interesting to know the real facts.

It sounded to me like they at one time did the hacking as a convenience to their customers but decided to change their practices when they realized the government might be checking up.

Is $50CAD a good deal for a BUZZ receiver? They have an offer there that if you donate $50 and *if* they win in court, they'll send you a receiver.

Sounds like a big IF lol. Only reason I heard of it was, reading all the reviews last night, where iceberg had one and tested it out, seemed to like it. They have a newer model that I found on ebay last night, from a dealer in CA, thats how I ran across this story on google.

I didn't know, that did sound a little bit strange, but then, Ive read what some other Canadians have posted about the CFRTC, or whatever its called up there, and there doesn't seem to be a very good overall opinion about the regulation of tv recept up there. I hope to hearhow it all turns out though, would be interesting to know the real facts.

Basically, I think that with a dealer pointing a dish at a US DBS satellite it suggests that the dealer MIGHT be up to something illegal. It is the same as when I see any of the smaller dishes pointed at Dish Network satellites. If it is the only dish I see, I would assume that there is a higher probability that they are stealing, rather than just getting NASA and the free channels. (Of course, if I see other FTA dishes pointed at other satellites then the probability goes up for NASA and the other free channels).

The CRTC is not too much different than your system of regulation, some decisions (such as not allowing certain US channels carriage on cable/satellite, or not allowing the US DBS providers to do business here [but ours are likewise restricted from doing business in the US]) do ruffle some feathers! But at least here we can get distant stations and can time-shift across the country!

Agreed, it is infinitely better for the viewers, IMO. Theirs too much fiefdom here and too much money passes hands in Washington.

There is a Canadian TV show called Holmes On Homes shown here. On that series, I see countless satellite dishes. I noticed many Dish 500s. I wonder how many people want to advertise that they receive US broadcasting?

business opportunity

... I see countless satellite dishes. I noticed many Dish 500s.
I wonder how many people want to advertise that they receive US broadcasting?

Sounds like a great business opportunity. :D

I'll set to work right now:
- maple leaf stencil
- can of red spray pain
- option: black paint if you wanna go stealth

We'll have those Dish dishes camouflaged in no time! :cool:

ExpressVu uses the same equipement as Dish, so they may be actually Bell dishes pointed to Bells satellites. It is the many 24" clone FTA dual dish's you see everwhere that one should question about.

Status
Please reply by conversation.