Now that I am getting the reciever..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fedupwithcablevision590

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2007
What kind of LNB and dish will I need? Generally want to start with a dish network "pizza dish", and use it for FTA music and NASA TV on echostar.

Three words:

Primestar,primestar,and primestar. Best bang for the buck. (most of the time for free!)

The 1m round(ish) dish is the best, but an 84e(the nonclemature is molded in the back of the dish),is perfectly acceptable.

I've been at the FTA game for just about a year now, and all I use are Primestar reflectors. :)

All free for the asking.

As far as LNB's, everyone has their favorite. Depending on the dish you use, all of them are pretty good assuming you have a big enough (90cm or above) reflector.

I use old Hughes satellite internet LNB's on my 1m dishes (thanks G!:D) and a dinky .3 db single DMSI on my 84e dish for G10.Works great.
OTOH, if money were no object, I'd have the Invacom Quad on all my dishes.:up

You can go looking around and if you see a "medium to large" sized dish and a small dish there is a good chance that the owner has converted to a small dish provider and no longer needs the larger dish. I have heard that some are happy to get rid of it :( good for us :)

Trying freecycle, so far most ppl dont know what a dish "500" satellite dish is for or even what it looks like. Its only been a day, so hopefully someone will have a dish. I only want a small dish, because remember, I'm in an apartment...

The mini DBS dishes (Dish, Direct) are everywhere... I find them on trash pick-up days while driving through neighborhoods. The problem is that these dishes are generally next to useless for FTA. You need at least a 30" dish to pick up anything other than the few freebies on the Dish birds.

Check around for a gas station or other business that is being demolished or remodeled (or re-roofed). Very often, they will be throwing away more useful dishes (larger, around 1-1.2 meters), and you can get one by simply asking. I participated in a salvage operation last month were we pulled a 1.2 meter dish from the roof of an ex-post office :)

So far no luck finding any mini-dishes, I've been scouring the neighborhood for weeks now. This is getting frustrating!

Try your local radio call-in show, if you have one. Somebody would be glad to give you one.
Or an ad in the free=swapper/shopper paper.

I'm going to try Craigslist, freecyle is next to useless, at least here on LI. There are no local radio shows. It's frustrating because if I wanted to buy one it'd cost me almost as much as the reciever, which is arriving this week. I'd like to set this thing up soon!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts