FTA vs Subscription

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TenaGoble

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I'm trying to settle a bit of a family dispute regarding foreign language/foreign country programming. I have 2 cousins, (one teaches Spanish, the other one teaches French). They both have DN, but both are considering getting FTA equipment, but here where the disagreement comes in:

-What has the best foreign proramming for the money, FTA or Subscription?

I was also asked if a C-Band receiver or a Ku-Band receiver would work on a DN satellite using a splitter to get in FTA channels. I told my cousins that a C-band receiver wouldn't work, but some of the DN channels were on both C-Band and Ku-band, even though they were scrambled and DN used Ku-Band signals, as far as I know. I told them in my opinion to buy FTA systems depending on how much outdoor space they had, rules and regulations.

If it isn't worth the money for the FTA, the cousin who teaches French, plans on looking for a broker for a S* Choice system.

Was I correct in giving them this information?

If you want French, I'd get a Starchoice system. Numerous French chanels on there and the packages are cheaper than what you can get from one or two Dish channels

Spanish there are lots of Spanish channels up there. Check out Mike Kohl's site
www.global-cm.net

There is a link (cant post it right now..will post later) that shows all the Spanish channels available and what you need to get them. Plenty of various Spanish channels out there from various countries

Thanks guys, I called my cousins' dad this evening and he's mentally "kicking himself in the you-know-where" for getting rid of the "ol' metal" C-band dish that was in his yard when he and his wife moved to a "empty nester" this past spring. He was shocked that they were still being used today for regular TV watching.

I'm trying to settle a bit of a family dispute regarding foreign language/foreign country programming. I have 2 cousins, (one teaches Spanish, the other one teaches French). They both have DN, but both are considering getting FTA equipment, but here where the disagreement comes in:

-What has the best foreign proramming for the money, FTA or Subscription?

I was also asked if a C-Band receiver or a Ku-Band receiver would work on a DN satellite using a splitter to get in FTA channels. I told my cousins that a C-band receiver wouldn't work, but some of the DN channels were on both C-Band and Ku-band, even though they were scrambled and DN used Ku-Band signals, as far as I know. I told them in my opinion to buy FTA systems depending on how much outdoor space they had, rules and regulations.

If it isn't worth the money for the FTA, the cousin who teaches French, plans on looking for a broker for a S* Choice system.

Was I correct in giving them this information?

Tena;

A subscription is the most painless solution. An FTA system has lost of non-English stuff out there. You may be roped into installing and servicing your cousins FTA setups. On the bright side, free pizza and beer. LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.