Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwf593

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 7, 2009
cheyenne, wy
Hi guys!

A month or two ago I was, with a lot of help from this Forum, able to find Galaxy 19 and have been enjoying a LOT of foreign language programming since.

But, now I'm getting a little bored and am ready to see what more I can find in the way of English language programming.

I currently have a 120cm Fortec plugged into an old Samsung receiver and I'd rather not try to motorize that big dish (unless everyone really thinks it's the best option). I'd like to try and add a couple additional LNB's to the dish at it's current position or buy a smaller (80-90cm) dish on a motor.

So, have I got any chance at hitting any programming (PBS?) by adding LNBs? And, if I go with a motorized system, will my old Samsung DSR 3700 run a motor? It was an eBay buy and I don't have a manual for it.

One last question, if I install a HD TV antenna on the same mast as my dish, can I run the signal from it into the same 'block' and then split it out once it's inside the house? (I hate to drill another hole in my outside wall). I worry about the HD signal 'drowning out' my satellite signals.

thanks for the help!

jeff

jwf593,

I started my venture into FTA Ku doing something similar

Fixed dishes, then fixed dishes with multiple LNBF's and then I finally got my hands on a H-H motor.

Honestly if I could do it again, I would have jumped straight to a motorized system.
But don't take my word for it. I learned a lot of helpful things and it was worth the $50+ I spent on LNBF's and mounts.

Unfortunately, the Geosatpro 1.2 meter I've used is a bit troublesome trying to get off-center LNBF's to get good signal. So it may be more trouble than it's worth for multiple-offsets

125W for PBS while centered on 97W is out of the question.
The rule of thumb for offset LNBF's is 6-8 degrees before serious loss of Quality.
Dish Network and DirecTV satellites are the exception to this rule, for what little is there.

Since English programming is so spread out right now, I highly suggest investing in a motor. However I found that when I moved the dish with the motor, all OTA signals carried in on that line could not be received while the motor ran.
Sadoun sells the DG-380 which you'll need for your large dish.

For combining and separating OTA and FTA, you'll need a diplexer.
However if you have a pre-amp or such out with your antenna, this will not allow the power to pass for the pre-amp.

motor on a 120cm dish

Thanks for the advice! That's what I was looking for, a voice of experience.

I'll do some forum searching and see what people say about the DG380 and how it runs a 120cm dish. I think I had read some advice against putting a motor on that big of a dish, which was why I thought I'd buy an 80 or 90cm.

I've found some information on my circa 2002 Samsung, seems it is DiSEqC 1.2 compliant, but I don't see anything about USALS. That going to be a problem? And, I am not sure how or if I can update the Samsung for new or repositioned birds.

thanks again!

jeff

Besides a STAB-brand motor, the DG-380 is the only one has all metal parts.
So I wouldn't worry about it carrying that big of a dish.

If the Samsung does DiSEqC 1.2 then you should be fine.
USALS is nice but not required. USALS makes it easy to get yourself in the ballpark of a KU satellite but it won't fine tune it for you.

=========================
I am by no means an expert on receivers. If you have the money to spare, grab a Coolsat 5000 or 6000, preferably with a serial cable. If you end up having to buy a cable it will be a straight, not a null. New or used, the Coolsat is one of the best receivers that money can buy and now you can get them for cheap.

The Coolsat will do USALS and is well known on how to clean it and update the transponders and channels.

straight or null?

which type of serial cable will i need? I've got some old serials in boxes in the garage (along with some parallel printer cables), but not sure what they'd be.

thanks,
:)
jeff

Hope you were talking about the coolsat....
You can still get some of coolsatusa.com from archive.org...

Downloading Procedure
Warning: To avoid invalidating your warranty, contact your dealer to have a professional technician download software to your receiver.
[yeah, right...]
The receiver is capable of implementing software taken from our website. To do so, first download the software onto your computer. The software can then be transferred to your receiver via the RS-232 port and a supplied data cable.

*The 4000 Plus uses a Null Data Cable
*The 4000 PRO uses a Straight Data Cable
*The 5000 Platinum uses a Straight Data Cable
*The 6000 Premium uses a Straight Data Cable
*The 6100 Private uses a Straight Data Cable
*The 7000 miCro PVR uses a Straight Data Cable
*The 7100 miCro PVR uses a Straight Data Cable
*The 8000HD uses a Null Data Cable
*The 8100HD miCro PVR uses a Null Data Cable

Never turn off the receiver during downloading. Any interruption during downloading will damage the flash ROM which will void the warranty. Please wait for the Receiver to reboot by itself even though your computer may say it is completed.

[take that seriously]

Warning : Coolsat receivers are only for use with Coolsat authorized
software. Unauthorized software cannot, by any means, be used
with a Coolsat receiver. Should any receiver contain such
unauthorized software, the warranty will be null and void.

LOL!:D;):rolleyes::p (making fun of the wording in consideration of this issue...)

Straight cables: pins 2 connect together and pins 3 connect together.
On null modem, 2 connects to 3 and 3 connects to 2.

Last edited:
guapoharry
Charlie and his ambulance chasers pissed on that site last week......
I think the OEM FW is here on the board, if not I have a copy as do several others if you cant find it.

thanks for the advice - Circular feed?

Thanks for all the help!

I saved that Coolsat information. I can see, from reading the Forums why the Coolsat's are going cheap. But, it looks like they'll do all I want - FTA programming.

Anything special I should know about the Coolsat 4000pro? I see one at a good price online.

Another question for everyone, my LNB is a Invacom quad with both Linear and Circular. I've got just the Linear connected at the moment, is there any Circular FTA up there? Any reason to hook up the Circular feed?

Thanks again, FYI I ordered the DG-380 from Sadoun last week and am looking forward to all sorts of new problems :) getting it set up -- so expect to hear more from me,

Jeff

Circular has a couple channels on 119W
Angel One
Nasa
Ion (formerly Pax)

plus a few preview type channels. NOt much but it dont hurt having it :)

The 4000 is just like my 5000 sans different case. SO it should be fine

Coolsat clones?

Thanks for the info! Are the Coolsat's online plagued by the same clone problems as Viewsats? :mad:

thanks,
jeff

Jwf593,

I wouldn't fret too much about clone issues. I don't think there are many clones of the Coolsats in existance any longer. I would highly recommend the Coolsat 5K or 6K receiver or the Fortec Star Dynamic. The Coolsats are probably very available at a cheap price now.

The Coolsats may be found as used equipment on E-Bay and they may have hack-ware software installed, but you can clean that junk out easily and install the original factory software. Actually, you can probably use these receivers with the hack-ware still installed and it won't cause any problems. Some of the hack-ware may have advantages, you might benefit from it for peripheral hardware support.

The Fortec Star Dynamic receiver is exceptional and you can purchase this STB new (or you may wish to purchase the upgraded model as the Dynamic is becoming an obsolete model - the Dynamic still works exceptionally, but I hear that there is an upgrade to this box and that is what they are selling now).

Definitely, go with a motor! Try the DG-380 motor and your GeosatPro 1.2 M dish with an Invacom QPH-031 LNBF. These devices coupled with one of the receivers I mentioned are a great combo!

I would highly recommend our site's sponsors for any of your purchases. They are all excellent providers and they are so very nice to do business with.

RADAR

thanks - Fortec "Lifetime"

thanks for the advice.

I am looking forward to putting a motor on my dish and all the new challenges that will bring.

From what I read on the Forums, these are tough days for lots of users and many have decided to dump their FTA boxes because they can't get the programming they're used to getting. I see lots of Coolsats online and that might be my next purchase.

The Fortecs I see are the 'Lifetime' models, these look older than the Dynamic.

thanks again,

jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Problem with receiver

Just a couple of things laying around the warehouse

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)