FTC Phone #

FreddyvsJasonvsAsh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Lakeland, FL
Hey everyone I made the HD complaint like 5 mins ago and I'd like to give you guys the number to call to start this thing. Many people need to know the truth about Dish, DirecTV and Cable. The FTC did infact say what Dish and others are doing is against the law under False advertisment.

FTC # 1 877 382 4357

Good Luck guys and girls

Last edited:
So what are we complaining about...downrezzing, or the "give MPEG2 Channels MPEG4 headers to make em upgrade" tactics?!?

Now is the time to call. If we wait too long, 1280x1080i will become acceptable simply because it has become an "industry standard".

Also don't limit your comments to E*. Make sure they know that D* is doing it and now E* is following suit - and you're concerned that if the FTC does not step in and require the DBS and cable companies to supply HD in the formats defined by the ATSC and generally accepted within the industry - that they will be in direct conflict with the direction that the consumer electronics industry is heading. The result is millions, possibly billions of dollars invested in equipment based on the standards that are generally accepted and inferred as official by the government as part of this transition to Digital television. Left unchecked, this investment made in equipment to maximize the picture quality of our displays will be rendered unnecessary by our service providers who are deliberately reducing the quality of the programming they are receiving from the content providers.

Boy it was taken really well over on the AVS :rolleyes:, what a bunch of HD-Lite loving JSP's

I am starting to think there are more picture quality enthusiasts here than AVS and DBSTalk combined x 2

-Gary

I support the effort to let the FTC know what's going on.

It's encouraging to hear that they're actually interested in listening.

I did want to contact them about this, but I was waiting for a few emails to be returned that might give us some ammunition in making our point.

When you called, did they ask you how you know what resolution is being broadcast? I know it's been reported here and on other sites, but I don't know how I would prove it to the FTC.

Scott

Gary Murrell said:
Boy it was taken really well over on the AVS :rolleyes:, what a bunch of HD-Lite loving JSP's
I am starting to think there are more picture quality enthusiasts here than AVS and DBSTalk combined x 2
-Gary
I have to say that I'm shocked by the number of vocal defenders the down-rezzing providers are getting on the AVS forum.

Considering how much the average AVS user has put into their system, you would think they'd be more concerned about an eroding standard that has to potential to reduce the value of what they've paid so much to enjoy.

Plus, while I'm concerned how HD looks on my current HDTV, I'm way more concerned how it will look on my next set. In five to ten years, the average picture quality on HD sets should look much better than what we're seeing today. It would be a shame if we would have to settle for some compromised version of HD to watch on it.

Scott

SRW1000 said:
I support the effort to let the FTC know what's going on.
It's encouraging to hear that they're actually interested in listening.
I did want to contact them about this, but I was waiting for a few emails to be returned that might give us some ammunition in making our point.
When you called, did they ask you how you know what resolution is being broadcast? I know it's been reported here and on other sites, but I don't know how I would prove it to the FTC.
Scott

Well I told the FTC about this site as well others that many people are vocal about what's really going on. I also said expect many more calls about this. They do take it very serious since it's the goverment and all. They won't be like Dish and not listen. You guys just have to voice yourselfs be more outspoken, open minded wherever just let these big wigs we are not as dumb as they want us to be :D

Gary Murrell said:
I am posting this over at the AVS Forum
time for D* and E* subs to unite and fight :)
-Gary

Though I thoroughly enjoy visiting AVS, there is a constituency there that will be unrelenting in defending HD-Lite. You will get the message out.