Full signal and responsive receiver but no video

duckydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I never had this happen before but in the middle of watching tv (did not matter if it was OTA or Satellite). The receiver was fully responsive and I could watch videos fro the DVR. I did a signal test and everything tested normal but still no video. Same with a diagnostic test and system info screen was good. It took two resets and then video came back but I've never seen a receiver be responsive and give regular results on a signal test but drop out video like that before. Should I be worried about it at all or is this common for a 922? (I've had it for just about 3 months now and this is the first problem I've seen.)

Also, let me state that Dish tech support for this issue was the worst I have ever dealt with, almost to the point that they hired a kindergarten class for the day. I called and asked them for support and told the guy about the signal test, that the DVR was working fine and that I could view the guide and system info. He then asked me was my tv on the right input. I proceeded to say "yes, how else could I view the system info screen." He then said "Is the cable from the dish loose?" I told him once again about the signal test. He then asked "Are your television and receiver both turned on?"

Duckydan, I apologize for the experience. LER offered great advice, and if you still need help with the issue, I can do my best to help resolve it. I am pretty familiar with the gear and can recreate the issue on test equipment. The more information you can provide about the scenario you are (or were) in the better I can help.

I actually got it after rebooting twice. What was weird was I could hit "Guide" and view the guide on my screen, I could go into setup and run a full test and have video there, and I could watch a program on my DVR. Anything live however was nothing but a black screen.

At first I thought it was because we were supposed to get bad weather tonight (usually my satellite will flicker for a minute before a storm but not during... I'm guessing during cloud cover) so we waited for 3-5 minutes. When it never came back I went to system info and point dish and it had great signal. I went up to my other receivers (612 and 211k) and they were both working fine. That's when I contacted support to try to get help to see if there was some sort of problem or a software update gone bad, although it seemed weird that OTA wouldn't work. After dealing with the tech mentioned above and hanging up I reset the receiver to no avail. I then reset it a second time and everything worked again. (Still not sure if it was due to a reset or something else.)

While I would say that would be something to check, LER and Tony, the fact that I had audio and video from the receiver for DVR and the menus made it seem like something else. I also run my connections from my sat receiver to my surround receiver and then to my tv and I was not getting audio either from the audio receiver (except through the DVR program mentioned.) I could also press info and see what was supposed to be on with a description on the screen.

It's not really a big deal now as it is working again but I was curious as to whether this was something common or something I can prevent (luckily it was during 7pm reruns and not shows I was waiting to DVR later.)

Full signal and responsive receiver but no video or audio

We have the same problem. Plus when it is working we are not able to get channels much beyond ESPN (140). And sometimes my guide shows no information. I also spoke with Dish tech support and was treated like I was 3 years old. Unfortunately they have a script to follow and can't think on their own. My problem has been going on for a month now off and on. The only fix with Dish is to schedule to have a tech come out and make sure everything is hooked up correctly. First, I have a really full schedule and second, everything is hooked up correctly. I have not changed anything on the system. I am an AV technician by trade and understand my ins and outs. I believe the receiver is failing and am looking for some thoughts about upgrading to a DVR receiver. I can install myself and don't need to schedule a tech. If I did purchase a DVR, can I just swap the card from my current receiver to the new one? Or am I stuck with having to deal with Dish on this

Thanks.

We have the same problem. Plus when it is working we are not able to get channels much beyond ESPN (140). And sometimes my guide shows no information.

I am confused on what you mean by you're not able to get channels beyond ESPN. Are you getting any error messages or are the channels not there? Also you mentioned upgrading to a DVR receiver, what receiver do you currently have?

Is there a solution to this problem? I've had my 922 for a little more than a day and each time I've tried to turn it on after the TV has been shut off I've had this problem. Last night I was able to go into a recorded program on the DVR, start playing it for a few seconds, then the picture/sound would return. This morning I had to do a front panel reset on it.

My HDMI goes from the 922 to a Yamaha receiver (pass through enabled) then into a Samsung TV. I had zero issues with the 722k that I replaced.

Is there a startup order I need to follow - like 922 on first then TV or TV first then 922?

If it happens would it work to turn the TV off then on again?

Unplugging things and doing front panel resets is not an option if my wife is home alone. She is disabled and cannot get to the 922 or plugs behind the TV.

I don't want to hook it up with component cables because that defeats the purpose of the Yamaha HDMI receiver.

I have a 922 for over a year now and have experienced NONE of these issues. It sounds to me it has something to do with the HDMI interface between the 922 and the Yamaha Receiver.

Jeremy,
I also have a Yamaha pass-through 7.1 receiver (excellent, by the way) - and a 922, among other things, and there has never been any problem with mine in terms of what is turned-on first. To do troubleshooting with the 922, I recommend temporarily connecting the HDMI directly from 922 to one of the TV HDMI inputs... just to take the Yamaha out of the mix for a few days... then see what you have.

It is fairly regular advice on the forums for new 922 owners to wait 24 to 48 hours for everything to fully download from the satellite before you can expect the unit to be "completely" loaded and at normal operation - however, what you describe does seem a bit odd.

Now I have the HDMI straight from the 922 to the TV. It still gave a black screen and was unresponsive.

It won't download any updates at night because sometime after the TV is shut off this happens to it.

I'm about ready to e-mail the DIRT team and ask them to send me a box to return this thing and a 722k to replace it.

Oh, and I've had it for two nights now and still no icons for DVR recordings and no network graphics. That's how I know it's not getting any updates.

Last edited:
I hooked it up directly to the TV via HDMI. Last night it downloaded the icon updates and rebooted correctly. This morning all seems fine. I'll monitor it for a couple of days to see if it's working right.

I guess I can run an optical cable to the Yamaha and get surround sound that way.

You may find, once it has settled down, that you can re-connect it through the Yamaha receiver, and that it will work properly going forward, but I agree that an optical cable would work. If you get a lip sync problem, remember that one of the Yamaha settings on some models does auto-sync and manual sync. I have found that auto-sync does a good job, if you have that option.

Look the 922 is work in progress meaning we are all beta testers for this unit i have had the same issues with the 922 thats why they started giving it out for free in some cases with a 2yr contract......

Hi Zach

Channels that are higher than 140 are sketchy. Sometimes they are there and most of the time they are not. Fox News (205) is one of our primary channels we like to watch but can't any longer. No error messages, just no video or audio. The info button tells me the channel I'm on and the show that should be showing but there is no video or audio. It is extremely frustrating. I don't know the receiver model right now. I am standard def and interested in going to HD with a DVR, but currently I'm not sure if I want to stick with Dish. I've been a long time customer, installed the dish and wire myself and am frustrated that I have to schedule time for a tech to come out and tell me that my receiver is not functioning properly. I can't be the only one who has had this problem.

Do you turn your receiver off at night? This is actually a common problem that is normally resolved by a reset. I can also help you try and resolve this without having to have some one come out. I would just need you to PM me with your account number or phone number so I know what receiver you have.

I have this exact same problem. Unplugging the receiver and rebooting fixes it. OTA works, as does DVR. SAT images don't show up, and don't record. All menus work.

The biggest problem is, if you don't notice it for a day, all SAT recordings will be a black image with no sound. It's certainly NOT an HDMI issue.

Last edited:
I have this exact same problem. Unplugging the receiver and rebooting fixes it. OTA works, as does DVR. SAT images don't show up, and don't record. All menus work.

The biggest problem is, if you don't notice it for a day, all SAT recordings will be a black image with no sound. It's certainly NOT an HDMI issue.

Yeah lpierce has an SD receiver so it's not an HDMI problem. BBruin66 do you turn your receiver off every night? To stop this from happening would be to place the receiver in standby (powered off) when not in use.

Yeah lpierce has an SD receiver so it's not an HDMI problem. BBruin66 do you turn your receiver off every night? To stop this from happening would be to place the receiver in standby (powered off) when not in use.
I usually try do, but probably not always. Why doesn't the 3am reset take care of this?

I'll try to take notice of this in the future. Now to get the GF to turn off more than just the receiver...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts