Full Time RSN

Ok, guys, got a question: I have had Dish for 15 years, and except for a technical issue that has now been resolved, have been quite satisfied with their service. However, we're only SD customers. I am considering switching some relatives to Dish, and as far as RSN goes, they would like FS North and Big Ten Net in HD. Can anyone in the Northern Plains help me out? Are games (Twins, Wild, Wolves) always in HD, and the complaint is other programming isn't? Frankly, I think FSN programming is pointless except for the games, which is why I don't care if they're full-time HD. Or is it random?

And this is slightly off-topic, but if someone wants to convince me to go DirecTV, I'm listening. My biggest gripe about them is after great promotional pricing (w/ annoying rebates), they're the most expensive, and there's no option to downgrade. If I'm going to be stuck in a 2 yr. contract, I want to be able to go to a package like Dish 120+ or Dish America w/o giving up the RSN. Thanks.

I'm sick and tired of those here who keep saying," if you want sports go to "D" and if you like movies go to "E". My wife and I like both sports and movies. I don't care if "D" adds movies because I don't have "D". However, I do have "E" so naturally I want them to ad some sports. Hey. it's my company of choice and if I want them to change I'm dam sure going to do whatever I can to let them know how I feel. How many "E" subs do you think want more sports? At least HD 24/7 of their RSN's? I'm guessing a million + a lot. I would say the at least 75% of the male subs and a good % of the female subs. I'm not switching to "D". And I'm not going to stop bitching at "E". Maybe they will never change but the squeeky wheel does get noticed first.

If you want movies you get Dish. If you want the Pentagon Channel HD you get Directv.

With dish on your local RSN your games will not be shown in HD all the time, as far as game time its random so times they will be in HD sometimes not.

I don't agree with your premise that most or anywhere near most of the current subs want RSN HD over national HD. But that doesn't really matter, we just don't know.

I agree, if you have made the decision to keep posting about it while not having RSN"s in HD full time, instead of having RSN's full time by switching, that is your choice. Just realize just as you are making a choice, so has Dish. Can you change their mind? Doubtful, because they know over time they will have the bandwidth one way or the other and then will provide them. Till then they will not.
Wow. Talk about reading something non existent into a post. I never said subs would prefer RSN's in HD over National HD. I never mentioned the word "most" or the words "National HD". The difference between me making a choice to switch, which I've already stated, I will not, and Dish choosing not to provide a greatly desired and available product is that I don't make my livelihood off of Dish, but they do they make theirs off of me and all the other subs.They have a financial interest in me staying. After hanging around this and other Dish sites for many years I feel safe in saying that, as I stated earlier,that the number of subs that want badly their RSN's in HD 24/7 is substantial. That's why the subject keeps rearing its ugly head.

I gave up on this matter a couple years ago. I get the teams I want live in HD so I'm happy FOR NOW. Heck, with the way the Red Sox are playing, yesterday didn't even bother. I watched the Bruins actually play (unlike this season's Red Sox, so far) and after switched to WGN America and watched the White Sox game.

I remember a time not to long ago when I would either call or computer chat with a customer service rep about NESN HD full time, and always got the same question: "Does NESN broadcast in HD?" The answer is that they were either the first or one of the first to go full time HD. But back then the game was blame the network (not Dish Network). I would love one CSR to come here and just tell us the truth. OUR HIGHER UPS DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR RSN.

Again, I get what I want in HD for now. Don't think that MSG and SNY aren't clear writings on the wall for the rest of the country, with the exception of FSN Rocky Mountain and Altitude (god forbid Charlie doesn't get his teams). Our time will come. Heck, in October FSN Rocky Mountain was one of a few FSNs that wasn't lost in the FOX blackout.

good to see this thread stay alive, if only to piss off the Dish apoligist who keep saying it is a lost cause. they are always quick to jump on and tell us to quit wasting time talking about this. if they don't want to discuss this, they should just skip the post related to it. if they think they know what the majority of subs want any more than anyone else by the small sample of people who even know about this web site, i fear thay are mistaken. most people know nothing about the difference between Dish and Direct conserning sports. they sign up with a provider ,get what's there, and belive they are getting the best programing they can get . those with Dish get the advertizing that Dish is cheaper and that they provide HD sports channels and go with that. thats what a lot of us did. we like the equiptment and the price compared to what we see other people are paying, and probably will stay. that should not mean tha t we should stop trying to improve the product we are paying for by posting here and calling and e-mailing the company. someday it will change, or we will leave. in the meantime this discussion will go on and if some don't like it ,they can ignore it.

Wow. Talk about reading something non existent into a post. I never said subs would prefer RSN's in HD over National HD. I never mentioned the word "most" or the words "National HD". The difference between me making a choice to switch, which I've already stated, I will not, and Dish choosing not to provide a greatly desired and available product is that I don't make my livelihood off of Dish, but they do they make theirs off of me and all the other subs.They have a financial interest in me staying. After hanging around this and other Dish sites for many years I feel safe in saying that, as I stated earlier,that the number of subs that want badly their RSN's in HD 24/7 is substantial. That's why the subject keeps rearing its ugly head.

I agree, looking at you post again you did not say most subs.
That said, you did not say "National HD" but that is the fact. Dish not providing full time RSN's in HD is the same reason Direct does not carry as many national HD channels, satellite space. Dish is not just deciding not to carry the RSN in HD, as I stated, it is a business decision. They have separated themeselves from Direct by providing several channels in HD that Direct does not. So when you say you want them to carry the RSN in HD full time, it is indeed at the expense of carrying national HD channels.

While you did not say "most" I still question, given the choice how many would choose to lose many national HD channels to have only a couple of RSN's in HD. Remember, for most you are talking about giving up several HD channels just to have your RSN in HD full time. And to add to that, you are really saying, give up several national HD channels to get your team in HD all the time, instead of most of the time. (I realize some markets get more hd games than others) That is the trade off, and that is the business decision Dish has made untill they can get more space available.

I am saying, all the posts are not going to make Dish return the national HD channels to SD and add RSN's full time. There is nothing that can be said only because Dish is fully aware they have customers who want all their games in HD. If you are not going to switch to a service who will provide that, I don't see how it can be that important to you. If you wait, I have no doubt Dish will move towards providing them. Given the satellite contraints, and having to get all the subs who have the MPEG2 receivers to switch to MPEG4, and getting MPEG4 to the WA, you will indeed have to be patient. The fact that you want to post about it is why these forums exist however.

In answer to the post above, it IS a lost cause untill dish can find space, and/or get everyone to MPEG4. There is no magic switch to provide them short of returning many national HD channels to SD. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Because RFD TV and OWN are more important to Charlie than sports

I am neither defending or criticising Dish, but rather stating a fact, yes, that is why. The national channels in HD are more important to their business model.

Ok, guys, got a question: I have had Dish for 15 years, and except for a technical issue that has now been resolved, have been quite satisfied with their service. However, we're only SD customers. I am considering switching some relatives to Dish, and as far as RSN goes, they would like FS North and Big Ten Net in HD. Can anyone in the Northern Plains help me out? Are games (Twins, Wild, Wolves) always in HD, and the complaint is other programming isn't? Frankly, I think FSN programming is pointless except for the games, which is why I don't care if they're full-time HD. Or is it random?

Big10 is in HD 24/7
FSN is random and its games only. You may get lucky and have 2 Twins games in a row in HD or you may only get 3 games out of 7 in HD
Wild and Wolfie's are the same way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts