Fun things to do in Hartford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil T

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Littleton, Colorado
I am going to go to a convention in Hartford CT August 3-9. I have never been in the area before. I will not have a car so most of my time will be spent downtown around the convention center. Any suggestions for :hungry: in the area? I have signed up of a NYC tour on August 8th.

It seems that someone around this place might have some suggestions. :D

Honestly nothing, the city seems to shut down at 5pm when folks leave from work. Drive through downtown hartford at night (main street) and its like a Ghost Town.

I will think about this more though as I work in Hatford and only live 10 minutes away. There has to be something to do.

I am staying at the Crown Plaza. Is it walkable to the convention center?
The Mortons sound good. Any fast food (cheep) places downtown? I will probably get tired of convention food real fast.

I dont think that its walkabout from the Crown Plaza, its about a mile and a half to two miles away. They have shuttles to get you there. :)

Fast food is around (Burger King, McDonnalds, Subway) within a few blocks.

Hartford is strange, for a major city, it has no movie theaters, no place to go grocery shopping, no bowling alley...

It does have a good sports bar (Coaches) which is owned by UCONN Mens Basketball Coach Jim Calhoun. Thats about 5 blocks from your hotel.

It does have a comedy club which is open on Friday and Saturday nights, we have been there a few times and had a good time even though we never heard of any of the comics before (or again after seeing them) :D

You can put in the address of the convention center or anyplace else for that matter, including your hotel, in Google maps, and then click on find businesses and enter the type of business you are looking for and it will bring up businesses by distance from the location of your map. I find this very handy.

Could you post the address of the convention center. I would like to take a look just out of curiosity. I put in convention center, hartford,ct in google maps and it had different ones.

Thanks for the google maps suggestion. The info I have just call it the Connecticut Convention Center.

You're Welcome.

The Connecticut Convention Center appears to be at 100 Columbus Blvd., Hartford, CT 06103.

According to google maps there is a Subway Sandwich .2 miles away, Morton's the Steakhouse and a Burger King .3 mi., McDonalds .5 mi. as well as many other restaurants .5 miles or less including 3 Dunkin' Donuts.

There is a river, it looks like, just to the East of the Convention Center although there is a freeway possibly in the way if you were to try walking there.

Heading out tonight in a red eye on Frontier. Leaves Denver 11:55PM. Arrives Hartford 5:35 A.M.

The things I will do just to get a non-stop. !sadroll

A group of us walked around downtown for several blocks this afternoon (Sunday) and could not find anything open for lunch.

The town seems very nice and has a great mix of old and new buildings, but is really dead on a Sunday.

Anybody been to Mayor Mikes restaurant?

Status
Not open for further replies.