Funai to release Final Standard BD under $300

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
It appears these players are hitting.

The magnavox has been seen at wally world for $290, others include the sylvania(on preorder at Amazon), Emerson, Insignia(coming soon best buy) and Pye(soming soon ccity)

Yup, obsolete 1.1 players spotted at Walmart for under $300. Whoopie. No DTS-HD support or 5.1 analog outs on these either, btw. Typical low end junk.

Just fork out the extra $99 and get the 2.0 full spec blu-ray player called the PS3. :)

If a good one is available for less than $300 by Xmas, I might just buy one for my RV. Thanks for the link.

When it gets to 100.00 and can record to discs, and is hackable to remove DRM, lemme know. :)

Agreed and profile 1.1 players are obsolete! Don't believe me, try playing a brand new 2.0 release on one. BD-J, DRM and phoning home on the profile 2.0 players leave me thinking "why would I want one of these DRM laden devices anyway?"

It's all about Sony control of the HDM market and they can have it. I'll just get one of the new Super Upconverting Players.

2+ years later and 1.1 is still the norm. What gives? How much more could an Ethernet jack have been. I can get a NIC card for less then $10. Companies ordering by the million could get them for pennies. Why doesn't $ony announce a deadline for 2.0 and stick with it this time. Who wants to buy an obsolete player!

While 1.1 being "obsolete" is incorrect and more opinion based, pretty much else, yes.
This is the opinion from many reputable publications.

1.1 is going to do more than enough for the vast jo blo majority. Early adopters care more about that stuff and just assume everyone will, which is wrong.

You dont see me complaining about not having 2.0 because I dont care about it, but you see the guys that think they want it(or just need a new podium to get on) complaining. Therefore it gives a false reality that it MATTERS to the general population. The complainers complain, the happy people dont say anything.

I think some of you throw obsolete around a little too much and its becoming misused. Were some of the HDDVD's players ever accused of being obsolete like this by youcontinually for their lack of 1080p, nope. Double standard and its obvious, some of you dont care about 1.1 and 2.0, price, features, etc... You're still angry about how it turned out and will stop at nothing to make it known.

The rest of us are nicely enjoying movies in HD with great soundtracks. You can be known as the guy that was too scared to jump in and enjoy because of price and it possible being "niche", Ill be known as the guy that jumped in with two feet, have been perfectly happy and enjoying it regardless of the outcome. Ill move on to the next format if need be and enjoy it, while you find something new you dont like and badmouth it. See a trend here??

AMEN, keep it simple for most people. All I wish to do is watch a good movie with decent sound. I have no need to connect anything to it or it to anything. Like the cell phone, all I want is it to be reliable, transmit and receive every time I need it, where ever I need it.

2+ years later and 1.1 is still the norm. What gives? How much more could an Ethernet jack have been.
The connector for the manufacturer is about $.50. That is not the problem.
BDA declared over a year ago that profile 2.0 by itself is optional. This can't be changed.

The duplicity in blu fan reasoning is nothing new: Lossless soundtracks, compressed and not, in multiple languages,
40Mbps video bitrate? Of course, everybody needs them! Only an idiot won't notice the difference!
Ethernet jack, internet connection, etc. - the "general population" is too dumb and doesn't need this crap.

Diogen.

1.1 is going to do more than enough for the vast jo blo majority. Early adopters care more about that stuff and just assume everyone will, which is wrong.

You dont see me complaining about not having 2.0 because I dont care about it, but you see the guys that think they want it(or just need a new podium to get on) complaining. Therefore it gives a false reality that it MATTERS to the general population. The complainers complain, the happy people dont say anything.

I think some of you throw obsolete around a little too much and its becoming misused. Were some of the HDDVD's players ever accused of being obsolete like this by youcontinually for their lack of 1080p, nope. Double standard and its obvious, some of you dont care about 1.1 and 2.0, price, features, etc... You're still angry about how it turned out and will stop at nothing to make it known.

The rest of us are nicely enjoying movies in HD with great soundtracks. You can be known as the guy that was too scared to jump in and enjoy because of price and it possible being "niche", Ill be known as the guy that jumped in with two feet, have been perfectly happy and enjoying it regardless of the outcome. Ill move on to the next format if need be and enjoy it, while you find something new you dont like and badmouth it. See a trend here??
:sleeo Yarn, same ole crap, sweep BD flaws under the rug, save that crappy logic its weak, most people see right through it.

The connector for the manufacturer is about $.50. That is not the problem.
BDA declared over a year ago that profile 2.0 by itself is optional. This can't be changed.Diogen.
So your saying that years from now we could be having 1.0 and 1.1 still being shoved down our throats?

So your saying that years from now we could be having 1.0 and 1.1 still being shoved down our throats?
Yes, we could. Not 1.0 but 1.1.
"Being shoved down our throut" or being sold - is a matter of taste.

Modern AVRs can decode 640 kbps AC3 for many years.
DVDs having this high bitrate DD soundtrack are just a few.
Reason: highest bitrate AC3 audio on DVD (as a standard) is 448 kbps.

Diogen.

Why would I care about a 2.0 player when all I want is the movie. I still have not used any of those type of features on my HD-DVD player to this day. I would rather have a cheap player that would allow me to replace all the DVD players in my house. If I want those extra features I would have no problem paying a little extra for them.

I'm all for having less sophisticated outputs on cheaper units, but making it so that you are going to require the studios to put 'FOR THE HAVE' and 'FOR THE HAVE NOTS' on the back of Blu-Ray discs for those that do and do not have a 2.0 player is really not acceptable anymore. I've largely ignored this whole 'sweeping the flaws under the rug' diatribe but how can some of you go from 'well BD is better because it has more space and I can have xyz audio track that .01% of the population can tell the difference that it's there and only if they have a good receiver' to '1.1 is good, we don't need 2.0'.

How do you go from wanting the best of everything from the format, and then go to this, where if it continues, THIS will be the lowest common denominator for the format, and there will be no discs using things that 2.0 provides?

I am all for cheap players, but at what price are we really paying here? The larger the 1.1 market is, the fewer people there are to incent into buying a 2.0 profile disc, the fewer people that might be willing to pay an extra couple bucks because the BD is just a copy of the DVD but in a higher resolution and no BD exclusive features.

This player isn't progress, it's a compromise, and if discs do not become marked clearly what people can and cannot play on the different profile players, this issue is going to get bigger and bigger.

Why would I care about a 2.0 player when all I want is the movie. I still have not used any of those type of features on my HD-DVD player to this day. I would rather have a cheap player that would allow me to replace all the DVD players in my house. If I want those extra features I would have no problem paying a little extra for them.

Problem being someone new to Blu-Ray will see a $300 player and think it might finally be time to invest in the new format.

Then they try and play the features on a 2.0 disc, and feel duped.

I'd love to see the packaging on these.

We say one thing, and then when a son or daughter or spouse goes to watch a featurette or download some something shiny and it says 'sorry, you can't do that because your 'Full profile' player isn't 'Bonus View Enabled' it's a different story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)