Funny Story, Out sourcing with a punchline!

Ken P.

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
I've been having problems with my re-manufactured 522 I received on my installation that was supposed to be a 625. Everything I've recorded locks up from time to time for a few seconds before resuming play and it cheats me out of time according to stats because everything doesn't add up to equal the time lengths of what I had recorded even though I know a 522 isn't supposed to have 100hrs of record time.

I called up D* to report the problem and the representative had the strongest Asian accent I've ever heard. After making me hard reset my 522 and deleting everything I've ever recorded without being able to resolve the issue he Say's to hang on for a second and then tells me its a known software issue thats currently being worked out and will be automatically updated sometime after my 90 day installation warranty ends.

Yea, yea, OK... :devil:

Bad thing is his accent was so bad I could hardly understand him yet he said his name was... LEROY JONES :D

Sounds like a made up name to me.

It's typical for large call centers in foreign countries to make their representatives choose American-sounding names. Sometimes their choices are kind of funny--combinations of first and last names that parents here would never choose for their children.

I have to admit I also am getting tired of the many threads on this forum complaining about CSRs with foreign accents. Yes, this can sometimes be difficult but, in my experience, no worse than the many Americans you encounter on the phone who speak with strong regional accents. Or those who simply mumble and are not able to speak clearly.

I always have the opposite reaction -- isn't it amazing (and so convenient for us) how well people from all over the world speak English while most Americans can not speak a single coherent sentence in a language other than English (this includes me).

tconelly said:
I always have the opposite reaction -- isn't it amazing (and so convenient for us) how well people from all over the world speak English while most Americans can not speak a single coherent sentence in a language other than English (this includes me).

Yeah, I can usually get by with someone's else english than someone can get along with my spanish/french/german/insert favorite foreign language here.

I don't care how many languages someone can speak. A business has a responsibility to take care of their customers. If the customer cannot understand the CSR, the company has failed their job in regards to customer service. Next thing you will say that it's okay if the tech who installs the dish is having problems because he was trained in accounting. Get someone who can do the job correctly. After all, we all pay for their incompetence. How many times do we read that someone calls 4 CSRs until they get their issue fixed. E* pays for each employee and we pay E*.

I don't think I ever said I was happy with E* CSR's. I only agreed with tconelly on the second part of his post. I was just making a generalization.

SatinKzo,
My response was not directed towards your reply. I want all of my dealings with a company transparent no matter where their employees are located. I don't care if its India or the US.

Agreed! I don't so much have a problem with their language skills as I do with their lack of thinking outside the script they are made to read from. I hate telling any CSR (not just E*) something multiple times and getting the same response over and over and over, sometimes not even related to what I am telling them.

mb1058 said:
SatinKzo,
My response was not directed towards your reply. I want all of my dealings with a company transparent no matter where their employees are located. I don't care if its India or the US.
I do, Not to get on a politcal rant but outsourcing of jobs to foriegn destinations does not keep yours or my costs down. It keeps the Shareholders happy.
Add the difficulty in understanding the dialect makes things tough especially when they have to deviate from the script.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)