Users share all recordings

run_like_the_wind

Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
I'm planning on getting Dish, but have a question. The dual-tuner receivers info states that "users share all recordings". This appears to mean that either TV1 or TV2 recordings can be viewed at either set.

Is this true, and are there any work-arounds? As in, parents recording something that is not for the kids, and they don't want to make available to them?

Would each recording like that have to be flagged with the Parental Control, and if that's the case, what kind of information gets displayed on the other set?

Just curious.

Not to sound "holier than thou" but with parenting comes responsibility. Should you really be watching and recording stuff that you don't want your children to see? Just keep this in mind in ten years when the kids are out of control and don't respect the rules you try to enforce, especially if you haven't been living by those rules yourself. Same goes for those of us who drink socially and then wonder why the kids grew up to be alcoholics.

With that said you can setup the parental codes and lock the receiver, anything that exceeds your rating choices requires the passcode.

Pepper
Most programs on from 7-10 I would not want my kids watching. There are very few channels that have kid suitable programing on in prime time. I am also an adult and I can watch Sopranos and know that it is for entertainment. While kids might me influenced by it. Like Fox's show 24 I enjoy it allot but it is not suitable for kids due to it graphic nature.

Use the parental locks.
If I've recorded an "adult" program, one that is beyond the limits/locks I've set in the preferences, then when I want to view it in the DVR mode I have to enter our code. It's just like watching a live program.

Pepper said:
Not to sound "holier than thou" but with parenting comes responsibility. Should you really be watching and recording stuff that you don't want your children to see? Just keep this in mind in ten years when the kids are out of control and don't respect the rules you try to enforce, especially if you haven't been living by those rules yourself. Same goes for those of us who drink socially and then wonder why the kids grew up to be alcoholics.

With that said you can setup the parental codes and lock the receiver, anything that exceeds your rating choices requires the passcode.
.........and not to sound "judgmental" but "run_like_the_wind" WAS certainly displaying good parental responsibility by posting the question. If you really didn't want to "sound holier than thou", I'm afraid you failed big time - just like I did with my "not to sound judgemental" remark.

Pepper said:

So am I to understand when my first child arrives this August that I can no longer do adult-type things?

To the OP, just use your locks and they will only see the recording as "locked" or something like that. I don't even think it shows the description.

Pepper said:
Not to sound "holier than thou" but with parenting comes responsibility. Should you really be watching and recording stuff that you don't want your children to see? ...

I hope this is tongue-in-cheek!:rolleyes:

I would not view as appropriate the viewing of Law and Order SVU with or by my young grandchildren. You might feel it is OK... however, there are parental locks and controls which makes this an option that we may or may not implement.

Just to help answer the original question -- Yes, anything you record can be viewed by either tuner. Use the locks features to restrict access to live TV and/or recorded events.

You can also now rename the show with L2.91 software but it will still show the time and channel. I did the painstaking research on this for the benefit of others. You're most welcome everyone.;)

As for parenting. It is the parents job to keep their children from seeing anything that they feel is inappropriate. The DVR has the tools but it is the parents responsibility. Very good question by OP for learning these tools. No one should be telling OP what them or their child can't watch.

And the drinking socially and your kids will become alcoholics analogy isn't really accurate either. Now if your an alcoholic there is an increased of your children following in your footsteps but even then it is not guaranteed.

I agree that run_like_the_wind is asking very responsible questions. From my experience with the "locked" programs(for ppv people :) ) they would sometimes show as locked and other times they would show the actual program name but you would still need to input the unlock code to view the program. I also noticed the rename functionality in the latest software and if you were worried about the title that might show up then you could definitely rename it so that others would not see the true title. I have not personally tried this so I don't know how well it works.

I tried out the "rename" feature so that I could organize several soccer matches I had that all had the same "Premiership Soccer" title. It worked for what I wanted it to do, but I think I need to read something because I couldn't get any capital letters!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)